A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

And the reason why I ask these questions is because I understand that JWs have a different interpretation of what the gospel or good news is compared to other Christians. Also, since the inhabited earth during the first century went beyond the Roman province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem, what concern would "the end" be for Christians living in other regions of the inhabited earth? (Colossians 1:23)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: A Two-Part Question for JWs about Matthew 24:14

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am
a) What exactly was the good news of the Kingdom that was preached in the first century CE?
The same that is being preached today...namely that Jesus is God's appointed King and he will save mankind fron sin and death. That by means of Gods incoming government the earth will be a paradise garden and all suffering will end (read Revelation 21:4)

GOOD NEWS: JESUS AND HIS GOVERNMENT WILL RULE OVER THE PLANET

RELATED POSTS

What is God's Kingdom?
viewtopic.php?p=956867#p956867

What is God's Kingdom and how will it prove a blessing for mankind?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 02#p865402

Will Christ really literally rule over this our planet EARTH?
viewtopic.php?p=1060742#p1060742

What part do the 144, 000 play in the good news of the Kingdom?
viewtopic.php?p=1061284&hilit=Good+news+is#p1061284

Will there be a new earthly society or a new planet?
viewtopic.php?p=813703#p813703
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GOD'S KINGDOM, THE GOOD NEWS and ... THE EARTHLY PARADISE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 15 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am b) ... what "end" was he referring to?[/b]

THE END

The end , NOT of the planet or all life on earth but the end of the world system of things ;the end of human politics, the world commercial and religious system and the end of all wicked individuals who will be killed at the final destruction of Armageddon. This event will also mark the end of Satan's domination over mankind.

ARMAGEDDON, LAST DAYS and ...JESUS SECOND COMING
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed May 24, 2023 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

HOW SHOULD WE UNDERSTAND COLOSSIANS 1:23?

Paul, a first century Missionary, implied that the Christian message had reached all territories of the then "known world". It should not be taken literally to refer to every land on the literal planet.

RELATED POSTS

Does Colossians 1:23 constitute a fulfillment of Matthew 24:14?
viewtopic.php?p=988538#p988538

Are JEHOVAHS WITNESSES the ones that are fulfilling Mat 24:14?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p897648

Who will finally preach the good news angels or Christians? [Rev 14:6]
viewtopic.php?p=341541#p341541

Does Pauls expression "every creature under heaven" (Col 1:23) allude to humans having a prehuman existence?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 37#p828637

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , THE 2ND COMING and ...THE GREAT COMMISSION,

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:36 am
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am
The same that is being preached today...namely that Jesus is God's appointed King and he will save mankind fron sin and death. That by means of Gods incoming government the earth will be a paradise garden and all suffering will end (read Revelation 21:4)

GOOD NEWS: JESUS AND HIS GOVERNMENT WILL RULE OVER THE PLANET

Where does it say in the Bible that the first century Christians were taught that "the earth will be a paradise garden"?

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:37 am
Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am b) ... what "end" was he referring to?[/b]

THE END

The end , NOT of the planet or all life on earth but the end of the world system of things ;the end of human politics, the world commercial and religious system and the end of all wicked individuals who will be killed at the final destruction of Armageddon. This event will also mark the end of Satan's domination over mankind.
But how did the first century Christians who lived outside of Jerusalem and the Roman province of Judea understand what "the end" meant?

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:46 am HOW SHOULD WE UNDERSTAND COLOSSIANS 1:23?

Paul, a first century Missionary, implied that the Christian message had reached all territories of the then "known world". It should not be taken literally to refer to every land on the literal planet.
Yes, I understand that. But see my post #6.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am This question is primarily asked to JWs, but anyone with a Bible-based view may participate in this discussion. But my two-fold question is: According to Matthew 24:14:
14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations,+ and then the end will come.
b) Since Jesus was referring to all the inhabited earth during the first century, what "end" was he referring to?

Here are few scriptures that I think are important, if one wants to understand what the good news of the Kingdom is:

Now after John was taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand! Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
Mark 1:14-15

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news (Good news = Gospel) to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
Luke 4:18-19

But if I by the Spirit of God cast out demons, then the Kingdom of God has come upon you.
Matt. 12:28

Being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The Kingdom of God doesn’t come with observation; neither will they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you.”
Luke 17:20-21

Jesus answered him, “Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can’t see the Kingdom of God.”
John 3:3

From those I understand, the good news is that God's kingdom has come and there is a way to enter it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:08 pm
Where does it say in the Bible that the first century Christians were taught that "the earth will be a paradise garden"?
That was not a quotation. When I am quoting scripture directly I always use "<--- quotation marks ---> " and or site the source reference.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Skeptical wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:30 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:46 am HOW SHOULD WE UNDERSTAND COLOSSIANS 1:23?

Yes, I understand that. But see my post #6.
I saw post #6 ; thanks very much. Above is an explanation of the significance of Col 1:23.

JEHOVAH’S WITNESS