Bart Ehrman's Questions for New Students.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Bart Ehrman's Questions for New Students.

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

No cheating! (God will know -- please be honest)
  • How many books are in the NT?
  • In what language were they written?
  • In what century were they written?
  • Name the Gospels of the NT
  • Name three Gospels from outside the New Testament
  • What does the word “Gospel” mean?
  • According to the Gospels, who baptized Jesus? Who carried his cross? Who buried him?
  • In about what year did Jesus die? What year was he born?
  • The author of the Gospel of Luke wrote two books. Name two of them.
  • What is normally thought to have been the occupations of (a) Matthew and (b) Luke?
  • Which of the following were Jews? John the Baptist, Alexander the Great, Jesus, Pontius Pilate, Simon Peter, Tacitus, the Apostle Paul.
  • What is the shortest verse in the New Testament?

Let me know how you do!

I'll give my answers later.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Bart Ehrman's Questions for New Students.

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

No cheating! (God will know -- please be honest)
How many books are in the NT?
In what language were they written?
In what century were they written?
Name the Gospels of the NT
Name three Gospels from outside the New Testament
What does the word “Gospel” mean?
According to the Gospels, who baptized Jesus? Who carried his cross? Who buried him?
In about what year did Jesus die? What year was he born?
The author of the Gospel of Luke wrote two books. Name two of them.
What is normally thought to have been the occupations of (a) Matthew and (b) Luke?
Which of the following were Jews? John the Baptist, Alexander the Great, Jesus, Pontius Pilate, Simon Peter, Tacitus, the Apostle Paul.
What is the shortest verse in the New Testament?
I'm not certainly about the number of books..I had to count on my fingers and toes. About 17? I'm not sure I could remember all the epistles. They were written in Greek,though some would say that some were originally Aramaic. Dating is debated. Certainly some of Paul's letters are 1st c AD.The Gospels seem to be 2nd c
Everyone should get the Gospels, From outside, Peter,Judas, Thomas and the gospel of Mary for extra. 'Gospel' is Greek for "Good News" isn't it? John baptised Jesus, Simon of Cyrene carried his cross and Joseph of Arimathea buried him, assisted (in John) by Nicodemus.
The birthdate is disputed. "Nought" B.C with an error rate of +/- five years. So far as I know Luke only wrote Luke and Acts. Luke is supposed to have been a physician and Matthew is identified with the tax - collector, Levi.
John the baptist, Jesus, Simon Peter and Paul were Jews. Pilate and Tacitus were Romans, and Alexander was Macedonian Greek. Shortest verse? Shortest verse? :) I should know this. "Amen?" "Farewell?" "Jesus wept"? "Crucify him"?

I'm hoping for 8 out of 10.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #3

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Since Bart Errorman disqualified himself as a Scholar and writer by publishing his disasterful, bad written and full of conscious lies book "Did Jesus Exist?" i am anything but sure that he would know anwers to this questions himself❗
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Interesting. I am more inclined to follow the evidence on my own and just find the Experts and Authorities just aren't doing that. I read 'Mark was the original gospel written bout 50 AD' and for me that dude is done. He has not looked at the evidence, nor understood it. If Ehrmann or any other current savant can question that, I am impressed. If they can't get that far, I have no interest in them. They are still - for me - thinking inside the Box.

Of course I might be dead wrong, but for me, the problems with "Received Bible Scholarship" as I might put it aren't even being considered.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #5

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
I enjoy listening to Bart Ehrman.
I think he missed the whole Jesus idea.
He came at it from an awkward angle.
I am finished cramming for exams.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Happy New Year to all( even the Pagans)
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:16 pm Since Bart Errorman disqualified himself as a Scholar and writer by publishing his disasterful, bad written and full of conscious lies book "Did Jesus Exist?" i am anything but sure that he would know anwers to this questions himself❗
Moderator Comment

Please do not make general blanket attacks. If you have specific disagreements, you can point those out.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #7

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to otseng in post #6]
Yeah, my fault to have given in to wishful thinking that Bartholomews epic lieful arrogant scam with said book would be common knowledge at last here.

Here is a link to his latest dishonest take on the issue of Jesus Historicity:
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/23605

An here is the critic on DID JESUS EXIST
When called out on his written scam, Bart E. reacted with arrogance and even more lies worse than the lies Bart S. told Dean Skinner about his not made homework:
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/1794
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"