Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Christians kill gay people

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ole-uganda

Evangelical Americans help Uganda create, and pass, the "Kill the gays" law.

Where did they get the idea to kill gay people? Why would this seem right to a Christian?

Is this a good example of how dangerous religion is?

What Christians would dare argue against a command from God?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: Christians kill gay people

Post #11

Post by LittleNipper »

brunumb wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:27 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:47 pm Far more homosexuals have been injured or killed in some barfight then have ever been killed in some church down the street.
Now you just need to show the lack of any religious persuasion in those people killing homosexuals in bars to prop up your pretty shonky argument.
Now in the book of Galatians Paul originally is writing to the Celtic CHRISTIANS in the province of Galicia. However, he shows how to note the differencies between what IS CHRISTIAN and what isn't: Galatians 5:13-24

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #11]

On that basis I guess it's safe to conclude that there are no Christians. Thank you for your enlightening response.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #13

Post by LittleNipper »

brunumb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:43 pm [Replying to LittleNipper in post #11]

On that basis I guess it's safe to conclude that there are no Christians. Thank you for your enlightening response.
Isn't that contrary to the truth?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:49 am

No True Scotsman Fallacy, anyone?

LittleNipper, can you tell me which Christians are the real Christians? Fred Phelps claims he was. Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni claims he's doing what God commands in the Bible - as he is a true Christian. Can you confirm? And, does God agree with your decision?
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #15

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:35 am
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:49 am

No True Scotsman Fallacy, anyone?

LittleNipper, can you tell me which Christians are the real Christians? Fred Phelps claims he was. Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni claims he's doing what God commands in the Bible - as he is a true Christian. Can you confirm? And, does God agree with your decision?
A real CHRISTIAN places his trust in his LORD JESUS CHRIST. A person who sees "church" as a social club gathering or that someone there will provide him with clemency, or one who feels his good deeds outweigh his bad ones ----- seems to have missed the CHRISTIANITY exit completely, and is traveling on the wayward highway.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:35 am No True Scotsman Fallacy, anyone?
This is a tough issue and it's important to be fair. In this, I would only ask that people on the Left give the same benefit of the doubt to Christians that they would give to Muslims who would say that their religion doesn't teach hate, either.

On one side, if you have even some people killing homosexuals and using religion as a justification, that doesn't mean the religion contains that justification. Someone can go out and do a mass shooting right now and say they did it because Gorgoplax possessed them and try to blame Scientology, but I really hope if that happens, people will look and see that they have never even got so much as an e-meter reading and never belonged to the Church of Scientology, as well as got the big bad alien's name wrong. Now, if they wanted to hurt Scientology so they made sure to check some of those boxes, it would be less clear. That's why it should not be an easy judgment to make.

On the other side, you can have a genuine hate group that always commits these sorts of crimes, and always officially throws up its hands and says, "Well, he acted on his own, of course we don't believe or teach that." And if we demand concrete proof of guilt, we'll never have it, and they can go on encouraging hate in ambiguous or coded ways, and when we catch them doing it behind closed doors with an undercover agent, at this point in history they can say the recording was fabricated, because it easily could be. Here's one of Joe Biden saying he likes low-quality marijuana.

The only thing you can do in a situation where a judgment cannot be made about who is the "true Scot" and who isn't, is to be fair. Whatever your standard is, apply it to everyone equally. Try not to balloon a few incidents into, "OMG Muslims are terrorists!" or "Christians constantly lynch gay people!" ...until it's true, and that's only going to happen when enough people have personal experiences with that group actually being hateful, that it becomes a shared reality.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Purple Knight »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:55 am A real CHRISTIAN places his trust in his LORD JESUS CHRIST. A person who sees "church" as a social club gathering or that someone there will provide him with clemency, or one who feels his good deeds outweigh his bad ones ----- seems to have missed the CHRISTIANITY exit completely, and is traveling on the wayward highway.
Well, that's easy to see in the Bible, isn't it, even for an outsider who has simply read it? It's not about doing good deeds, because no amount of good deeds cancels even one teensy bad one - the only way to get that bad deed taken care of is forgiveness.

Where the question becomes difficult is when some Christians, even groups of Christians, will plausibly excuse every example of some teaching with context.

It is just as obvious to me that Jesus taught pacifism, allowing yourself to be beaten, allowing people to take jackets and coats and money from you and simply forgiving it, simply absorbing injustice and never complaining about it. But some Christians excuse "turn the other cheek" as being in some sort of historical context that makes it not actually about being struck, and similarly excuse, "if he sues you and takes your coat, give him your tunic too" as being a shame play.

Just as I can see that the scale of good and bad deeds is not taught (rather, forgiveness is), I can see that making yourself a beaten dog and letting everyone hurt you without complaint, and even providing them with reward, is also taught. If the latter can be excused with context, someone could pick apart the forgiveness doctrine similarly, and make it seem to say what it obviously does not say. For example, as it pertains to the topic, some Christians could easily say, "Yes, I hate the sin and not the sinner. I have nothing but love in my heart for those gay people I killed, but they were spreading AIDS and had to die. I made no judgment against them."

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:55 am
A real CHRISTIAN places his trust in his LORD JESUS CHRIST. A person who sees "church" as a social club gathering or that someone there will provide him with clemency, or one who feels his good deeds outweigh his bad ones ----- seems to have missed the CHRISTIANITY exit completely, and is traveling on the wayward highway.
Moderator Intervention

Please take note of the following rule:

15. It is not permitted to say another person or group is not a Christian or call them a cult if the person or group identifies as Christian (this includes Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any group that claims to be Christian).

Rules

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:47 pm On one side, if you have even some people killing homosexuals and using religion as a justification, that doesn't mean the religion contains that justification.
Facts are stubborn things, no? Both Christians and Muslims draw from the same well:
Manny Pacquiao is not backing down from his stance against homosexuality.

Less than a day after the Filipino boxer and politician lost his sponsorship deal with Nike because he compared gay people to animals, Pacquiao took to Instagram early Thursday morning and posted some Bible verses that support his views.

One of them, Leviticus 20:13, states in no uncertain terms that homosexuals should be killed:

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Pacquiao’s post was up for about two hours and got more than 18,000 likes before being deleted. The Filipino news agency ABS-CBN captured a screenshot of the post before it was removed.

Pacquiao, a member of the Philippines’ House of Representatives, included other Bible verses in his post, including Luke 6:22-23, an apparent reference to his current situation:

“Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.”

Pacquiao was one of several candidates for the Philippine Senate who recently were asked their views on same-sex marriage during a recent interview broadcast by the Filipino television network TV5.

“It’s common sense. Will you see any animals where male is to male and female is to female?” Pacquiao answered.

“The animals are better. They know how to distinguish male from female. If we approve [of] male on male, female on female, then man is worse than animals.”

He apologized for his statement earlier this week but stood by his views.

“I’m sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals,” he wrote on Instagram. “Please forgive me for those I’ve hurt. I still stand on my belief that I’m against same sex marriage because of what the Bible says, but I’m not condemning LGBT. I love you all with the love of the Lord. God Bless you all and I’m praying for you.”

Where, other than from religion, did he get the idea that killing gay people is ok?
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:34 am Where, other than from religion, did he get the idea that killing gay people is ok?
They got the idea that homosexuality is wrong from the religion. They got the idea to kill in response to that wrong from their own nasty heads.

But it makes things complicated, doesn't it? If you tell people something is wrong, but oh, by the way, don't hurt anybody ever, they ignore the latter, cherrypick the former, and start killing people.

You could say the fault lies entirely within their own nasty heads, thinking that killing people who do wrong is justified. But at the same time, this is simply the landscape the anti-gay teaching lands upon, and arguably if you told them heterosexuality is wrong, they'd be killing oppositely.

The big question is, is it morally wrong, to teach that something is morally wrong, when maybe it isn't?

I mean, we know what it does. It does this.