Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Democrats for DeSantis

Post #1

Post by historia »

Consider this argument:
  • PREMISE 1: Donald Trump poses a unique threat to American democracy.
  • PREMISE 2: One of the major ways to avert that threat is for Trump to lose the Republican nomination for president.
  • PREMISE 3: Ron DeSantis has the best chance to defeat Trump in the Republican primary.
  • CONCLUSION: Democrats, Independents, and "never Trump" Republicans should support DeSantis in the Republican primary.
Question for debate:

Do you agree with the above argument?

If not, which premises (or assumptions underlying them) do you think are wrong?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Democrats for DeSantis

Post #21

Post by boatsnguitars »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:27 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:28 am I wonder, if a person has marked you as "Them" - and they've made a point to eradicate you - is that person still an "Us" to you?
Eradicate me!?! This is the arguing from emotion I have been talking about.
Do you feel that there are those out to eradicate you? If so, make them known and I'll stand and fight with you to avoid your eradication.
Do you simply not believe there are Us's and Them's,
This is not accurate of me.
or that you don't like the general idea.
That would depend. Take an alien invasion for example. I would jump on the 'Us' team real quick most likely.
'Us' religious people vs 'Them' atheists is the type I refer to when I talk about cult thinking. That I don't like in general.
I have to wonder what you think the government and politics is for?
This is a true statement.

<snipped the rest as no questions were posed>
Thank you for forming a point though and avoiding slander.
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2018/07/1 ... -are-evil/

I'm a Liberal. The Right Wing has been very vocal and violent about eradicating the Left.

https://cco.ndu.edu/PRISM/PRISM-Volume- ... issues-fo/

I proudly announce I am not "Them".
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #22

Post by The Barbarian »

historia wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:56 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:53 pm
DeSantis is Trump with brains. He could turn out to be considerably worse.
So you disagree with PREMISE 1?
He isn't the first authoritarian to pop up in American politics. There was Huey Long in the 1930s. McCarthy in the 1950s. A nutcase assassinated Long. A brave lawyer for the Army eviscerated McCarthy during televised hearings which led to his downfall. Trump actually got to be president, so that was unique.

The thing about DeSantis is, he's intrinsically unlikable. But he's made it very clear that the Constitution is his enemy, and he would move to further erode the power of the ballot in America.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #23

Post by The Barbarian »

historia wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:23 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:51 am
We have a lot of great people in the Dem Party and we should improve our messaging, not play dangerous political games.
What "danger" comes from helping DeSantis defeat Trump in the Republican primary?
For one thing, there's no certainty that DeSantis would lose the election. And he's apparently much better at using government to further his own power than Trump was.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #24

Post by Clownboat »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:13 pm I'm a Liberal. The Right Wing has been very vocal and violent about eradicating the Left.
Please provide an example of where this has taken place.

"How the Right Wing Convinces Itself That Liberals Are Evil"
These are the type of emotional arguments I'm looking to avoid. Let's just label the other side as evil, or as lost/corrupt/insane/immoral/incompetent/power-hungry/bigoted/hateful/misogynist/racist/irresponsible/dangerous and not discuss specifics or even consider their position.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my daughters yesterday after softball practice. I asked how her hitting went. The answer was "not real great today". I asked if perhaps there was something we could work on, like keeping her eye on the ball until contact (an ongoing struggle with most players). Her answer was that the coach was pitching too fast and that is why she struggled. I pointed out to her that it was the same for each player and that once she decided where the blame fell, she no longer had to look inward.

Perhaps the coach was a bit quick, but what would that have to do with her not keeping her eye on the ball or any other number of mechanics she could possibly improve? I encouraged her to consider that focusing on who/what to blame will likely inhibit her ability to improve herself.

Could this not possibly apply to the opposing political party? What if the opposing side had a good argument that a person isn't willing to consider because they think the other side is out to destroy them completely?
I never would have guessed that this would be possible so far from your replies.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by boatsnguitars »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:44 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:13 pm I'm a Liberal. The Right Wing has been very vocal and violent about eradicating the Left.
Please provide an example of where this has taken place.

"How the Right Wing Convinces Itself That Liberals Are Evil"
These are the type of emotional arguments I'm looking to avoid. Let's just label the other side as evil, or as lost/corrupt/insane/immoral/incompetent/power-hungry/bigoted/hateful/misogynist/racist/irresponsible/dangerous and not discuss specifics or even consider their position.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my daughters yesterday after softball practice. I asked how her hitting went. The answer was "not real great today". I asked if perhaps there was something we could work on, like keeping her eye on the ball until contact (an ongoing struggle with most players). Her answer was that the coach was pitching too fast and that is why she struggled. I pointed out to her that it was the same for each player and that once she decided where the blame fell, she no longer had to look inward.

Perhaps the coach was a bit quick, but what would that have to do with her not keeping her eye on the ball or any other number of mechanics she could possibly improve? I encouraged her to consider that focusing on who/what to blame will likely inhibit her ability to improve herself.

Could this not possibly apply to the opposing political party? What if the opposing side had a good argument that a person isn't willing to consider because they think the other side is out to destroy them completely?
I never would have guessed that this would be possible so far from your replies.
I don't think we'll agree. If you don't accept that there is a Left or Right, and that each side wishes to eradicate each other (perhaps not through violence, but certainly by exercising power), I don't know what I can say to convince you. Just like businesses want to crush the competition, so do political parties, and people who vote for those parties. I don't want Republicans to win because it negatively affects my interests and those of the ones I love. Republicans don't want Democrats to win for the same reason - but our reasons are largely incompatible.

There are Us's and Them's. There just is. In all areas of life.

So, for example:

One group of people believes that if the Government can tax people to pay for Health Care, it would be available to more people - even if it means we may all have to pay a little more. Another group believes the government shouldn't be in the Health Care business, and people should make enough money to buy their own Health Care if they want it - even if it means people will go without.

So, if I don't use "Us" and "Them" to describe the two view points, what should I say? It's my fault that the GOP doesn't want Single Payer Health Care?

I'm not sure what you are accusing me of in your example? That I'm causing my own division - I'm blaming others for having a different opinion than mine? There are Materialists and Idealists - is it my fault that "They" hold a different position than I? Explain how you can completely reject the idea that there are people - and camps - that simply have very different ideas that are incompatible with other ideas.

Let's use ISIS as an example. Are we all the same in how we view women, religious freedom, etc.? I know I am never going to view the world as "They" do. (Conservative, Extremist Islamists would be a great example of a group that wants to literally eradicate Liberals).

Perhaps I'm not understanding you?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

historia
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by historia »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:39 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:53 pm
DeSantis is Trump with brains. He could turn out to be considerably worse.
PREMISE 1: Donald Trump poses a unique threat to American democracy.
So your solution is to exchange one threat for another?
You didn't answer my question. Do you disagree with PREMISE 1?

How is DeSantis a threat to American democracy?
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:49 pm
What "danger" comes from helping DeSantis defeat Trump in the Republican primary?
Have you seen the way DeSantis is running Florida?
Yes. Are you just telling me you don't like his policies?
Last edited by historia on Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

historia
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by historia »

The Barbarian wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:41 pm
He isn't the first authoritarian to pop up in American politics. There was Huey Long in the 1930s. McCarthy in the 1950s. A nutcase assassinated Long. A brave lawyer for the Army eviscerated McCarthy during televised hearings which led to his downfall. Trump actually got to be president, so that was unique.
And could very well be president again.

So do you not agree with PREMISE 1?
The thing about DeSantis is, he's intrinsically unlikable.
So you disagree with PREMISE 3?
But he's made it very clear that the Constitution is his enemy
How?
The Barbarian wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:42 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:51 am
We have a lot of great people in the Dem Party and we should improve our messaging, not play dangerous political games.
For one thing, there's no certainty that DeSantis would lose the election.
There's no certainty that Trump loses the election.
And he's apparently much better at using government to further his own power than Trump was.
What does "furthering his own power" mean? You don't like his policies?
Last edited by historia on Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

historia
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by historia »

Miles wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:55 am
As I see it the Democratic win will be a breeze.
What if Joe Biden develops a serious medical condition in 2024 and Harris is substituted as the nominee? Does she breeze to victory?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #29

Post by Clownboat »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:54 am I don't think we'll agree. If you don't accept that there is a Left or Right, and that each side wishes to eradicate each other (perhaps not through violence, but certainly by exercising power), I don't know what I can say to convince you.
First of all, I accept there is a Left/Right. It's the eradication claim that you made that I have asked for an example of where this has taken place.
I note that no examples were provided.
Just like businesses want to crush the competition, so do political parties, and people who vote for those parties.

However, you said: "The Right Wing has been very vocal and violent about eradicating the Left.
You supplied an analogy for the claim you made that is taking place by alluding to businesses. I was looking for an actual example where what you claim is happening happened.
I don't want Republicans to win because it negatively affects my interests and those of the ones I love. Republicans don't want Democrats to win for the same reason - but our reasons are largely incompatible.
I see no issues with this. Where is the violent eradication taking place?
There are Us's and Them's. There just is. In all areas of life.
I do not dispute this. In fact, I acknowledge this. It's what started all this in the first place... I felt you were arguing mainly with emotionally charged words leveled against your 'Thems' in place of an actual argument we might learn something from.
One group of people believes that if the Government can tax people to pay for Health Care, it would be available to more people - even if it means we may all have to pay a little more. Another group believes the government shouldn't be in the Health Care business, and people should make enough money to buy their own Health Care if they want it - even if it means people will go without.

So, if I don't use "Us" and "Them" to describe the two view points, what should I say? It's my fault that the GOP doesn't want Single Payer Health Care?
You miss my point, but to answer your question since you asked. Argue your position logically. Slapping negative labels on those in place of actual arguments is what I would love to see less from both sides. The slander has become too much IMO.
I'm not sure what you are accusing me of in your example?
Copy/paste: For clarity, my position was (copy/paste): "I notice that often people talk passionately about politics like some do about their preferred god concept. I assume humans use the same part of our brains for both and we should be cautious to not let our emotions control out thinking."

I avoid such reasoning because as I said, it is all to easy to label the other side as lost/corrupt/insane/immoral/incompetent/power-hungry/bigoted/hateful/misogynist/racist/irresponsible and then I don't even have to consider an opposing position if it in fact it might have some merit. The Us's get more 'us' and the Them's get more 'them' and the division only increases.

That I'm causing my own division - I'm blaming others for having a different opinion than mine?
Nope, it's the slander in place of arguments. This is in general by the way (meaning commonly done), not to be about you specifically even though I pointed to an example where you have done this here.
There are Materialists and Idealists - is it my fault that "They" hold a different position than I?

No, and still missing the point about slander in place of arguments. I hope I'm explaining my position better this time around.
Explain how you can completely reject the idea that there are people - and camps - that simply have very different ideas that are incompatible with other ideas.
:shock:
First of all, I don't reject what you think I do. To try to further explain my position... I can either attempt to explain my position and why you are wrong, or I can use slander and tell my self that whatever you mean doesn't have any merit because you are, lost, or corrupt, or insane, or immoral, or....
Let's use ISIS as an example. Are we all the same in how we view women, religious freedom, etc.? I know I am never going to view the world as "They" do. (Conservative, Extremist Islamists would be a great example of a group that wants to literally eradicate Liberals).
Great example! Now you could argue as to why you feel that ISIS has inferior views on women, or you can claim that they are lost/corrupt/insane/immoral/incompetent/power-hungry/bigoted/hateful/misogynist/racist/irresponsible.
Perhaps I'm not understanding you?
Perhaps you now understand better? And again, even though I used an example of your specific words here, I'm discussing this as a whole and noting that I see both sides doing it, often in place of providing actual arguments. I make no claim that this is a boatsnguitars issue specifically, my goal is to point to this phenomenon.

The gods and politics really seem to have the ability to get people riled up and emotional don't you think? Agreeing with this would not lessen any political or religious positions you might hold. I make no claims about which side is the bigger eradicator after all. 8-)
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Miles
Savant

Post #30

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:03 am
Miles wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:55 am
As I see it the Democratic win will be a breeze.
What if Joe Biden develops a serious medical condition in 2024 and Harris is substituted as the nominee? Does she breeze to victory?
What if Republicans wake up and see Trump for what he really is, a racist, rapist, who doesn't hesitate to lie when it's to his personal benefit? What if both Trump and Desantis get run over by a "Vote Biden" truck? What if the GOP has a catastrophic meltdown and decide to run Doug Burgum? What if a tsunami hits the GOP party feting it's prospective candidates, sending them all to the hospital with major injuries. What if . . . . What if . . . . what if . . . . As someone once said,

"As I see it the Democratic win will be a breeze." ;)