Three days /three nights and the Pharisees

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Three days /three nights and the Pharisees

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Three days /three nights and the Pharisees

Post #41

Post by onewithhim »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:04 am
onewithhim wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:18 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:32 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:28 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:25 pm
You can use and bible translation you desire. Is that not reasonable enough? You propose an allegoric death and execution of Christ. Fine. But do you understand that just saying something (and pointing to a Bishop) is not the presentation of evidence thereof? Present some scriptural support for your position. Really does that sound like an unreasonable request?
The whole Bible...
Fine Well if its "the whole bible" you should have no trouble finding one or two specific passages (out of the 35,000 or so verses) therein to support your position.
The specific passage that says it's allegorical? First show me where is says the talking serpent is allegorical, or, if you think that is literal, how about you show me the passage that shows the 3 days and nights is allegorical, or whatever you believe is allegorical?
The fact is, it doesn't say, "Hey, this part is allegorical" - because it's obvious.
Indeed I've actually had discussions on an allegorical resurrection in the writings of Paul but this idea of the gospel account of Jesus of Nazareth actually not dying at all (and instead taking an extended nap) is an entirely novel to me. I am requesting scripture. That's what we do over here in TD&D.
Don't care. That's not Spong's claim. Spong claims Jesus died and his soul lives in Heaven - as is written in the Bible. Particularly Paul's accounts, but throughout the Bible - allegorically.

I'm not sure how you can argue differently - knowing what we know.
All I can say to your twisted reasoning is that a person needs the Holy Spirit to understand Scriptures. It is pretty easy to see which passages are allegorical and which are literal. There is nothing allegorical about Jesus' death and resurrection and his being at the right hand of God in heaven. I would not give a plug nickel for anything Spong says. As Paul says, if Jesus didn't die for us and then raised up, we are still in our sins and will die that way, miserable people.

Does this look like Jesus rose allegorically? => "If Christ has not been raised up, our preaching is certainly in vain, and our faith is in vain....If Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you are yet in your sins." (I Corinthians 15: 14,17)
"Raised up" ... to Heaven. Get it right.

I get that there are some denominations that demand that their followers believe in literal floods, talking snakes, etc. I get that they are taught to reject scientific facts that there was no Exodus, but I don't have to be part of those cults. I don't need to reject reality to see what the Bible says.

The sad fact that you will soon realize is that it is you twisting the Scriptures into something they never meant to say literally, only allegorically. That's on you.
Indeed. (What ever floats your boat! LOL) By the way, Jehovah's Witnesses recognize scientific FACTS (that are proven in the lab) and we appreciate how Science shows the beauty in Jehovah's creation. We believe that there was an Exodus because the Bible describes it. It wasn't allegorical. We appreciate everything the Bible tells us, and many things are allegorical but most things are not.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by boatsnguitars »

There is no scientific evidence for the Ex. Again, u simply repeat religious ideas as if they are legitimate. Just stop. Stay with facts:

Accept that Gofd creation speaks more factual than a book by men.

Honor God and Truth, not stories from Man.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

rstrats
Scholar

Post #43

Post by rstrats »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:48 am

From an allegorical perspective, the "three days and three nights" represents a symbolic period of spiritual darkness or challenge, akin to Jonah's time in the belly of the fish. This period signifies the struggles and trials faced by Jesus and his followers.
But why 3 days and 3 nights? What was significant about that specific period of time?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #44

Post by onewithhim »

rstrats wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:02 am

From an allegorical perspective, the "three days and three nights" represents a symbolic period of spiritual darkness or challenge, akin to Jonah's time in the belly of the fish. This period signifies the struggles and trials faced by Jesus and his followers.
But why 3 days and 3 nights? What was significant about that specific period of time?
"Three" is for emphasis, also it indicates intensity. See Rev.4:8; 8:13; 16:13,19.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by boatsnguitars »

rstrats wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:02 am

My guess is that it was a similar thing like the number 7, 12, 13, etc. Some numbers just take on meaning because of what they refernce. For example, if the writers was referencing the 3 days of Jonah in the whale, he just mentioned it to make a parallel, not that three days is particularly meaningful.
Maybe it's because rigor mortis sets in after 3 days, so it's 'proof' that he was dead, but i doubt this.

I think it's just a reference number. Like 40: https://www.gotquestions.org/40-days-Bible.html
Or, 7 (7 days to make the Earth).

Or, like 42 (now popularized by the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"). People might reference it in honor of that book.

Further, it's like in Zombie movies where there is usually a character, or a road or something named "Romero" after the "Father of Zombies" George Romero.

Or: A113 is a studio code and its variants are an inside joke and Easter egg in media developed by alumni of California Institute of the Arts, referring to the classroom used by graphic design and character animation students.

Or, the common 555-xxxx phone number. Why 555? Because.

3 days, 3 nights is a call back; an Easter Egg.
― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #46

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #45]

As I wrote, the number "three" is basically what you said.....it denotes emphasis and intensity.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by boatsnguitars »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:15 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #45]

As I wrote, the number "three" is basically what you said.....it denotes emphasis and intensity.
Sure. i suppose - if that's how you interpret it. It may have even been the intention of the writer!
― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #48

Post by onewithhim »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:40 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:15 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #45]

Sure. i suppose - if that's how you interpret it. It may have even been the intention of the writer!
It's nice to have found some agreement between us.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by boatsnguitars »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:57 pm

I suppose, but I imagine our underlying rationale are very different.
― Omar Khayyâm

onewithhim
Savant

Post #50

Post by onewithhim »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:47 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:57 pm

I suppose, but I imagine our underlying rationale are very different.
BTW, concerning the quote from Omar Khayyam......God hasn't hidden anything from anybody. It's all laid out in His Word, the Bible. Anyone can avail themselves of the knowledge that will ensure their ability to live forever.