Pharisees' request for a sign from the Messiah

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Pharisees' request for a sign from the Messiah

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

When responding to the Pharisees' request for a sign, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Pharisees' request for a sign from the Messiah

Post #41

Post by TRANSPONDER »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:27 am
rstrats wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:49 pm
bjs1 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:37 pm

I am not sure that he did.
I wonder why He didn't just stick with what He told them in Mark 8:12?
This is one of several themes that are repeated in different ways throughout the gospel. As hinted at above, we also see aspects of this theme in the temptation of Jesus and in his trial before Herod.
And in the way Luke changed the angelic message to suit his story, and the way he altered the calling of disciples and rejection at Nazareth, why after the resurrection, the disciples troop off to Galilee to be told o take the message to all nations when in Luke, he appears that night and a moth after that, making the trip pointless.

Taken with the contradictions of the nativities, the Lord's prayer being taught (for the first time) at different times, John having the palsyied man healed in Jerusalem, but in the Synoptic version in Galilee and - pretty much the rest of the book, what 'different ways' and 'aspects of this theme' really means to anyone not blinkered by Faith, is religious polemic written (or adapted and edited) by different writers who changed, altered added to and inserted stuff as they liked and contradicted each other and even themselves when they did so.

I know the believers will refuse to see it, but (once pointed out, like a conjuring trick or a ponzi scam that is explained), nobody will be fooled, other than those who dearly want to be. Faith is a choice, :D in the end, not 'believe or not' but to follow the evidence or to reject it and prefer Faith.

Let those with eyes to see, see.