Indictment case judge

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Indictment case judge

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

Trump's indictment case has been given to a judge who was appointed by the defendant.*

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/09/11813108 ... indictment

Should this judge recuse herself for her glaring conflict of interest in this case?

*As I understand it, she could be setting the trial date. Would it be before or----conveniently----after the '24 election?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Indictment case judge

Post #21

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #20
Yep. The first job at hand in a fire is to put it out. But dealing with the factors that changed the climate to make fires more likely should be next.
But it won't be, as long as this administration keeps doling out drilling contracts left and right.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #22

Post by The Barbarian »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:05 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #20
Yep. The first job at hand in a fire is to put it out. But dealing with the factors that changed the climate to make fires more likely should be next.
But it won't be, as long as this administration keeps doling out drilling contracts left and right.
Internal combustion engines and fossil fuel use will continue to be a declining part of our lives. It would be great if everyone tomorrow started using electric cars, and had solar panels installed on their houses. For lots of practical reasons that won't be happening. But it's on the way. If you have a plan that would work to make it faster, I'm all ears.

US fossil fuel consumption fell by 9% in 2020, says the Energy Information Administration.
Coal accounted for 13% of US fossil fuel consumption in 2020, its lowest annual share since 1949.
Petroleum products were the most-used fossil fuels in the US in 2020. Natural gas, used mostly to generate electricity and heat, took its largest annual share on record.
While fossil fuel use falls, renewables are continuing to rise to new records.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/07/ ... ption-eia/

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #22

Internal combustion engines and fossil fuel use will continue to be a declining part of our lives. It would be great if everyone tomorrow started using electric cars, and had solar panels installed on their houses. For lots of practical reasons that won't be happening. But it's on the way.
Climate scientists tell us that a tipping point is also on the way. Which do you think will get here first?

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #24

Post by The Barbarian »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:27 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #22

Internal combustion engines and fossil fuel use will continue to be a declining part of our lives. It would be great if everyone tomorrow started using electric cars, and had solar panels installed on their houses. For lots of practical reasons that won't be happening. But it's on the way.
Climate scientists tell us that a tipping point is also on the way. Which do you think will get here first?
I'm not optimistic. I expect the climate to become much more interesting in the upcoming decades.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by boatsnguitars »

Just checking in to see if people really think the Dems and Reps are still basically the same?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Athetotheist »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:08 pm Just checking in to see if people really think the Dems and Reps are still basically the same?
If the Reps are bad, which they are, the Dems are arguably worse because when they have the power to stop what the Reps do, they don't. The DNC runs a corporate machine which serves the interests of its top donors....period. Every rank-and-file Democrat should be outraged by their party's betrayal of their desires and interests.

It's been said that fascism thrives in a capitalist system. The R's are providing the fascism; the D's are providing the capitalism.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by boatsnguitars »

So, if God has the power to stop evil, he's worse than the evil?

I guess the question is whether Dems have the power you claim. The impeached Trump twice, crickets from Reps.

No, I think Reps are worse. They can't govern, are vlowns and now support a dangerous clown who demonizes Americans who disagree with his Authoritarian agenda.

Capitalism is the American soup de jur. Dems have tried to move to a more sensible Mixed Economy, but Reps get angry and violent with any change.
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #27
So, if God has the power to stop evil, he's worse than the evil?
Oh, do you think that notion shocks me? If you saw the fingerprints of Tricksters on the details of life as many times as I have, you'd know better.

I guess the question is whether Dems have the power you claim. The impeached Trump twice, crickets from Reps.
You don't think that the Dems expected anything else, do you?

No, I think Reps are worse. They can't govern
Boy, are you in for a shock. Once the Dems usher their "Republican friends" politely into the room, they'll govern all right----with an iron fist. And the do-nothing leaders of the modern "Left" will pontificate into their microphones to put the blame on each other.

Capitalism is the American soup de jur.
Do you recognize that tune you're singing? It's "The Bourgeois Serenade", with backup vocals crooned lovingly by corporate media.

Dems have tried to move to a more sensible Mixed Economy
You mean Dems like Nancy "we're capitalists" Pelosi?

but Reps get angry and violent with any change.
And that's the most dangerous thing about the Dem's unwillingness to stand firm. When the mob threatens the republic, those whose job it is to preserve the republic have to draw the line and hold it. If they don't, the mob will know that all it has to do is threaten to get violent and it will be handed the keys to the kingdom.

After Biden took office, everyone was all jittery about "Another January 6th!! Another January 6th!!" I knew there wasn't going to be another January 6th, because if there were going to be another Jan. 6th it would have happened on Jan. 20th when Biden was sworn in. It didn't. All the authorities had to do was make it known that no disruption would be tolerated. The troublemakers stayed home. To make bullies back down, you have to stand up to them----especially when you're the ones in charge.

And what has the current administration been up to in the gallant name of progress?

https://www.wsj.com/politics/biden-oks- ... e-1d12b5c6

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/t ... -to-israel

Wake up and smell the duopoly, son. The Two Majors have been playing us for suckers for years. Take, for example, the Commission on Presidential Debates. It's a corporation created and run by the two major parties, which set the rules for the debates----including the rules on who gets into them and who doesn't. The League of Women Voters oversaw the debates prior to that and walked away having, in the words of League president Nancy Neuman, “no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public.”

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by boatsnguitars »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:14 pm Wake up and smell the duopoly, son. The Two Majors have been playing us for suckers for years. Take, for example, the Commission on Presidential Debates. It's a corporation created and run by the two major parties, which set the rules for the debates----including the rules on who gets into them and who doesn't. The League of Women Voters oversaw the debates prior to that and walked away having, in the words of League president Nancy Neuman, “no intention of becoming an accessory to the hoodwinking of the American public.”
And, yet, that's the system we have - and it's very clear that when Dems have the majority, things get done that are better for the American people.

I imagine you are a fan of Noam Chomsky, as am I. It's fine being an idealist when it comes to stating your preference, but at some point Reality will board check you.

Let's start somewhere:
https://rollcall.com/2005/05/02/ten-bil ... -mattered/

Is it your claim that these bills would have been passed, regardless of which party was in power, or does the party matter to a degree?
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #29
Let's start somewhere:
https://rollcall.com/2005/05/02/ten-bil ... -mattered/
Do you notice that all of these examples are from decades ago? Can you imagine today's Democrat party pushing hard enough to get any of these through? I can't. Preserving the Senate filibuster is more important to them.

And, yet, that's the system we have - and it's very clear that when Dems have the majority, things get done that are better for the American people.
.....with one hand----while crushing Occupy movements, shafting labor unions and supporting military assaults on defenseless populations get done with the other.

And since the Dems refused to do away with the aforementioned filibuster, they can always pin the blame on "those darn Republicans" who kill legislature with the very tool which the Dems themselves insist on letting them keep.

The Democrat party is not about doing good. It's about looking good while laughing off the wishes of its constituents.

And "that's the system we have" is the way they want us to think. They want us docile and resigned to having them run our government their way.