Christians: why do you think Jews don’t accept the Christian Testament?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Christians: why do you think Jews don’t accept the Christian Testament?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Why do you think Jews reject the teachings of the church?

If you could pick one passage to convince them to believe Jesus is their anointed one (messiah) what would it be?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Christians: why do you think Jews don’t accept the Christian Testament?

Post #61

Post by Clownboat »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:55 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #58]

Then I accept your forfeit of this debate. If you can't accept the rules then your argument was a loss before you started. Have a good day.
My argument is that you don't know how Moses worshipped and I stand by it. There is nothing to forfeit as I'm not challenging Biblical authority, but a claim made by you that is being masqueraded as challenging Biblical authority.
2timothy316 wrote:Clearly you don't know that the way the Jews worship today is nothing like the way Moses did.
(For anyone confused, see the bolding above)
Clownboat wrote:I challenge you to show that you know how Moses, who may not have even existed, worshipped.
(For anyone confused, my challenge to 2timothy316 was for them to show that they know that Moses worshipped differently compared to the Jews of today).

That you hide behind moderating to avoid being challenged says a lot!
I have learned so much! Especially about how Moses worshipped compared to the Jews of today. If only there was a person we could ask that claims to have said knowledge.
:roll:
:wave:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #62

Post by 2timothy316 »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:57 am
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:55 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #58]

Then I accept your forfeit of this debate. If you can't accept the rules then your argument was a loss before you started. Have a good day.
My argument is that you don't know how Moses worshipped and I stand by it. There is nothing to forfeit as I'm not challenging Biblical authority, but a claim made by you that is being masqueraded as challenging Biblical authority.
What you stand by means nothing. What I say alone means nothing. The claim comes from the Bible. It's what the Bible says and the Bible says of Moses, "“And Moses proceeded to do according to all that Jehovah had commanded him. He did just so.” (Ex 40:16; compare Nu 17:11.) These scriptures are viewed as having the highest authority and as true for debates in this forum. Accept that, or there are many other forums that you go to where you can say whatever you want without proving it from the Bible.
2timothy316 wrote:Clearly you don't know that the way the Jews worship today is nothing like the way Moses did.
(For anyone confused, see the bolding above)
Clownboat wrote:I challenge you to show that you know how Moses, who may not have even existed, worshipped.
(For anyone confused, my challenge to 2timothy316 was for them to show that they know that Moses worshipped differently compared to the Jews of today).
First we'd have to establish how did Jews worship God in Moses day. You do not accept the Mosaic Law as the rules that the Jews of his time worshiped by and don't hold the Bible account as true. I highly doubt anyone who frequents this forum is confused on how Moses worshiped God.
That you hide behind moderating to avoid being challenged says a lot!
That you dismiss the rules of a forum before you start making claims and an admin has to be even notified says a lot. There is no hiding. I'm operating within the rules of this forum, you're not.
I have learned so much! Especially about how Moses worshipped compared to the Jews of today. If only there was a person we could ask that claims to have said knowledge.
Just read the Bible...oh wait you want to come into a forum, ignore it's rules and the book that has the authority in that forum to tell you. I'd recommend the C&A forum. Its better suited for those that would prefer not having an authoritative book to scrutinize their posts. This is not the forum for those that don't believe the Bible to be true.

Wootah
Savant

Post #63

Post by Wootah »

Avoice wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:53 pm Why do you think Jews reject the teachings of the church?

If you could pick one passage to convince them to believe Jesus is their anointed one (messiah) what would it be?
I am reading Exodus at the moment and in chapter 33 God is about to get rid of Israel and not let them enter the promised land but only take Moses. God reduces the covenant to one man and then also has one man as the mediator for the people and that one man can plead with God on behalf of the people and the people are only saved because of the relationship with that man.

Who does that remind me of? Jesus.The fulfilment of the Old Testament and the one that allows me to enter the promised land - full relationship with God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #64

Post by 2timothy316 »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:01 am
Avoice wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:53 pm Why do you think Jews reject the teachings of the church?

I am reading Exodus at the moment and in chapter 33 God is about to get rid of Israel and not let them enter the promised land but only take Moses. God reduces the covenant to one man and then also has one man as the mediator for the people and that one man can plead with God on behalf of the people and the people are only saved because of the relationship with that man.

Who does that remind me of? Jesus.The fulfilment of the Old Testament and the one that allows me to enter the promised land - full relationship with God.
Good scripture. In the OP it asks for just one scripture but I don't think just one scripture will do.

Moses did act as mediator between Israel and God and yet this is what he also wrote.
"Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to him." - Deut 18:15
Then compare:
"Philip found Nathanael and said to him: “We have found the one of whom Moses, in the Law, and the Prophets wrote: Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Nazareth." - John 1:45

Now, I don't think one scripture can convince Jews to believe Jesus is their anointed one. However, I do know of one scripture as to why they don't. Please read carefully why the Jews then didn't believe Jesus was the Christ and it seems these scripture is still true today.

Jesus said,
"I don't care about human praise, but I do know that none of you love God. I have come with my Father's authority, and you have not welcomed me. But you will welcome people who come on their own. How could you possibly believe? You like to have your friends praise you, and you don't care about praise that the only God can give! Don't think that I will be the one to accuse you to the Father. You have put your hope in Moses, yet he is the very one who will accuse you. Moses wrote about me, and if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me. But if you don't believe what Moses wrote, how can you believe what I say?" - John 5:41-47

Many believed in what Moses wrote, like John and Matthew. The majority didn't. Especially Jewish leadership who later had him killed.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #65

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:(For anyone confused, my challenge to 2timothy316 was for them to show that they know that Moses worshipped differently compared to the Jews of today).
2timothy316 wrote:First we'd have to establish how did Jews worship God in Moses day.
You have not done so.
2timothy316 wrote:I highly doubt anyone who frequents this forum is confused on how Moses worshiped God.
Which makes this claim of yours highly questionable don't you think (which is why I called it slander)?
2timothy316 = "By reading your other statements, you're lacking way too much Biblical knowledge to keep me engaged in this debate."
Sure reads like slander to me... and yet you're the one harping on about rules. :shock:

I don't believe that you know that Moses worshipped differently then how the Jews of today do. I'm sorry, I just don't believe you and you are not willing to take the time to show that your claim is true. Instead you pretend I'm challenging biblical authority when I'm challenging your claim ("the way the Jews worship today is nothing like the way Moses did.").
Just read the Bible...oh wait you want to come into a forum, ignore it's rules and the book that has the authority in that forum to tell you.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
I'd recommend the C&A forum. Its better suited for those that would prefer not having an authoritative book to scrutinize their posts. This is not the forum for those that don't believe the Bible to be true.
Clownboat = I don't believe your claim that you know that Moses worshipped differently then the Jews of today.
2timothy316 = Stop challenging Biblical authority!
[-X
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #66

Post by 2timothy316 »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm
I do know how Moses worshiped because the Bible tells me how he worshiped and I believe the Bible is true and in this forum I don't have to prove if the Bible is true or not. Here, it is accept as true before you even speak. You came to the forum fully knowing you where not going to follow that rule. You can give a different interpretation if wanted and that could be discussed. But you completely dismiss the Bible as true. If I wanted to debate if the Bible was true or not, I'd go to another forum. (hint hint)
Your posts are circular, you dismiss the purpose of this forum, dismiss the Bible, do not use the Bible to make your case and simply repeating yourself doesn't make you what you say is true. Welcome to my ignore list.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #67

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:42 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #35]

Well technically Jesus is the way the truth and the life and is God and you deny that. You also practice works not grace through faith.

I don't know if you guys will make it to heaven because denial of Jesus as God is committing the unforgivable sin and blaspheming the holy spirit.

I do think arrogance and pride are at the root of denying Jesus is God because humans hate the fact we are not equal God and only God can save us. 🙏
JWs do not deny that Jesus is "the way, the truth and the life." We believe it so strongly that we don't vote for anyone else. He is our Lord and Master. He is clearly not God, as has been shown on these threads quite a bit. Jesus and Jehovah are two different beings, with certain attributes all to themselves. Jesus actually said, "The Father is greater than I am." (John 14:28) And not just because he was on the earth at that time. After he went back to heaven, he was and is lower in position than the Father, and subservient to Him (I Corinthians 11:3). He will eventually hand back the Kingdom to the Father, Jehovah, so that everyone will praise Jehovah as "all things." (I Corinthians 15:24-28)

We do not place "works" above faith. We have said many times that works come AFTER a person's belief, as James has said: "For as the body without spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." (James 2:26, KJV) Faith and works go hand-in-hand. You really can't have one without the other.

We are not blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I'm afraid that you are. Jesus was very clear that he was subservient to the Father and everything he did was to bring praise to the Father. He said he could do nothing of himself, but whatever he saw the Father doing and he did likewise. (John 5:19) The New Testament is full of such allusions and direct references.

We know that only God can save us, and He has sent forth His Son as the means by which we must get saved. Jesus is the Savior because Jehovah has said so. Jesus does everything that God tells him to do.

Most of us do not wish to go to heaven, but are awaiting the paradise that this earth will soon be, according to God's will and His original purpose.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #68

Post by onewithhim »

Adonai Yahweh wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:13 pm
Why do you think Jews reject the teachings of the church?
There are Jews that accept the teachings of Jesus an example would be Rabbi Schneider , however it was already told in the Book of Isaiah and Psalms 118 and other scriptures that the Jews would reject Jesus . Many of the Jews hold the patriarchs in very high regards like Abraham , Moses and Noah ,The Jews believe that the Messiah is still coming they don't believe that the Messiah is Jesus . Jesus was even rejected in his hometown Nazareth because he was a carpenter ( Luke 4 ) .
To pick just one scripture would be difficult , the best ones are in the book of Isaiah . Isaiah chapter 7,9,35 ,42
And also chapter 53 of Isaiah. I have posted why the suffering servant could not be the nation of Israel.

Wootah
Savant

Post #69

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #67]

As you can imagine most non-JWs on this forum don't see it that way. I have appreciated learning differences over time.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #70

Post by 2timothy316 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:08 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #67]

As you can imagine most non-JWs on this forum don't see it that way.
This is due to tradition. JWs have learned by constant Bible study that just sticking with what is a traditional teaching isn't always Biblically sound and what is not following His Word the Bible should be dropped. Even if we had believed some teaching all our lives and our parents believed something all their lives. This is not a reason to keep believing in it if we find is not Biblically sound. Tradition is a trap and it has many in its bite.