Where does God of Israel speak in the Christian testament?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Where does God of Israel speak in the Christian testament?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Where does the God of Israel speak in the Christian testament? A quote attributed to him having spoken it. With clarification using words like ‘ God said’ or ‘said God,’

I do not mean quotes from the Hebrew Bible (OT) that arev in the Christian testament.
I mean something fresh

Miles
Savant

Re: Where does God of Israel speak in the Christian testament?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

How about "a voice from heaven"?

Matthew 3:16-17
16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.

Avoice
Guru

Post #3

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

It does not say God is speaking.

It is an unidentified voice talking about an unidentified person.

What evidence indicates it is God other than the mere desire for it to be? None. But there is testimony concerning the voice when it speaks elsewhere in the Christian testament. Those who heard the voice described it. And thise who described it did NOT say it was God. If it was they woukd have said it. No, they said it sounded like an angel, And God is not an angel.

Your quote is an anonymously spoken quote. And the gospel writer who wrote it is also unknown. By your logic any quote unassigned an author can be God speaking. Oddly enough the unidentified voice just so happens to speak things that Christians agree with or desire to be true. But don’t say God said it. Because it does not.

“Thus shall ye say every one to his neighbour, and every one to his brother, What hath the Lord answered? and, What hath the Lord spoken?”

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:27 am [Replying to Miles in post #2]

It does not say God is speaking.

It is an unidentified voice talking about an unidentified person.
So, when Jesus "saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him" and then heard "a voice from heaven" say “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,” who do you think was claiming Jesus as his Son? Hiram Goldberg, god's sidekick and drinking buddy?

Get real Avoice.

Avoice
Guru

Post #5

Post by Avoice »

Who said “Jesus saw the spirit of God”?
God didnt say that. And if you had to answer truthfully you couldnt say who wrote that.
Joseph Smith saw stuff too. It is also written. Do you believe him too?

I am being real.
Jesus also said he saw Satan come down. He didnt say what the angel of light landed on though. Or did he? Well, whstever landed on him at the baptism had him immedietely hanging out with a devil. Oh yes… test of temptation.

What do you read about temptation? For sonething to be tempting it must be sonething they truly desire.
You slso read that the flesh is weak when it comes to temptations. But the spirit is strong. The flesh can ve drawn away to sin or be tempted. But the spirit that can be drawn away to entertain temptation is a bad spirit.

And what does it say about Jesus: He was led away by the spirit. And what was he tempted with? Herd of camels? No. To have power over all he sees. So that must be whst his desire was. Otherwise there was No temptation. Notice how at the end of his 40 days it says HE HUNGERED. You think that it means food and water? Hungered for what?

The one given the name Jesus came. Promised life to all who follow him. But he requires everyone to give up everything they have in this world first. Just proclaim hi yiur lord and savior. Why is that so important to him?

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:27 am ...
It is an unidentified voice talking about an unidentified person....
That same could be said also for every similar case in OT? It remains a matter of belief in all the cases. I believe it was God who said it and I also believe Jesus spoke as God had commanded him to speak.

or I did not speak from Myself, but He who sent Me, the Father, He has given Me command, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that His command is everlasting life. Then what things I speak, as the Father has said to Me, so I speak.
John 12:49-50

Avoice
Guru

Post #7

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to 1213 in post #6]

Yeah okay. God also commanded Satan the same thing. What he could say and do. Satan didnt act of his own free will. He did and still does what God commands him

So then you believe Jesus spoke to Joseph Smith too I suppose?

Belief is based on reason. Not a desire to believe the matter. Your believe is based on what comes from the Christian Testament. Why do you believe Jesus is God? Does he speak like the God of Israel? How is he like God?

So if Jesus is God why applaud the temptation in the eilderness? His can God be tempted.? Some temptation — he was offered everything that belongs to him .

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:22 am Who said “Jesus saw the spirit of God”?
Well, how about the writer of Mathew?

Matthew 3:16
KJ21
And Jesus, when He had been baptized, went up straightway out of the water. And lo, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting upon Him.
ASV
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway from the water: and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him;
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
CSB
When Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water. The heavens suddenly opened for him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him.
CEB
When Jesus was baptized, he immediately came up out of the water. Heaven was opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God coming down like a dove and resting on him.
CJB
As soon as Yeshua had been immersed, he came up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, he saw the Spirit of God coming down upon him like a dove,
CEV
So Jesus was baptized. And as soon as he came out of the water, the sky opened, and he saw the Spirit of God coming down on him like a dove.
DARBY
And Jesus, having been baptised, went up straightway from the water, and lo, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him:
DLNT
And having been baptized, Jesus immediately ascended from the water. And behold— the heavens were opened to Him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as-if a dove, and coming upon Him.

etc.

etc.

Of course if you don't trust what's been written in every one of the Bibles I checked, 62 in all, that's a whole other issue.

But is that the issue Avoice; you don't believe anything that's written in the Bible unless it conforms with your particular phraseology? OR is it simply a matter of having your notion that god never said anything in the New Testament shot down. Is that it? You've been bested and you can't stand it, which is what I suspect. :mrgreen:

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:22 am Yeah okay. God also commanded Satan the same thing....
Why do you think so?
Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:22 amSo then you believe Jesus spoke to Joseph Smith too I suppose?
I don't know any good reason to believe so.
Avoice wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:22 amWhy do you believe Jesus is God?...
I believe what the Bible tells and by it Jesus is a man and there is only one true God that is greater than Jesus. Therefore, I don't think Jesus is the one and only true God.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by thomasdixon »

Are Catholics so bad that you are willing and wanting to spit in their face?
There are those who do, can you name them?
https://tinyurl.com/3hjp5d3e
8-)