.....Seeing/entering the kingdom of God
.....Getting eternal life
.....Not dying in one's sins
.....Not perishing
.....Surely living, not dying

is the same as salvation

1. HAVE FAITH
Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith.

2. BELIEVE IN JESUS
Acts 16:31
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

3. CONFESS THAT JESUS IS LORD AND WAS RESURRECTED
Romans 10:9-10
if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

4. BE BAPTIZED
1 Peter 3:18-22
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you

5. REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED
Acts 2:38
“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

6. BELIEVE AND BE BAPTIZED
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

7. BE BORN AGAIN
John 3:3
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.

8. HAVE FAITH
Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace you have been saved through faith.

9. WORK AND SEEK
Romans 2:6-8
He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life;

10. BELIEVE JESUS IS THE "I AM HE"
John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

11. BELIEVE IN JESUS
John 3:15-18
That whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

12. REPENT
Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

13. REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED
Acts 2:38-39
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

14. CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD
Acts 2:21
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

15. RELY ON YOUR SAVIOR'S MERCY
Titus 3:4-5
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

16. DO THE WILL OF GOD
Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

17. (for the wicked) TURN FROM YOUR SIN, DO WHAT IS RIGHT, RETURN WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN, AND WALK IN THE STATUTES OF LIFE
Ezekiel 33:14-19
Again, though I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ yet if he turns from his sin and does what is just and right, if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, not doing injustice, he shall surely live; he shall not die.

. Image

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What's with all the choices?

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:12 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #59]

Can a non saved person do the good works God has planned for them?
God does not plan individual life courses. He has in the past chosen Prophets and individuals to further his purpose but he never violates their divine right to free will.
As for individuals, there are presently only two groups: those that serve him and those that do not. Those that serve him have been "saved" from a fruitless course of life alienated from the true God. They are presently on the road to life, and if they persevere, they will in the future be saved from the coming destruction of the wicked. As an organisation Jehovah uses them to further his will and purpose to preach the good news, vindicate his name and gather right hearted individuals to his organisation.
As for those that do not currently serve the true God Jehovah, they are in spiritual darkness. He can and occasionally does use some such ones to use their influence or position to protect His own or block persecution or opposition, but his only "plan" for them as individuals is that they learn the truth and break free form Satan's system.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #62

Post by 2timothy316 »

You're using the past tense again. Any person that is alive is not saved. Only a person that has stayed faithful to the end of their life or the end of this wicked system will be saved. That is what the Bible says. Can a non saved person do good works? Yes! Even Paul was afraid that he might be disqualified from the race for eternal life if he wasn't exercising control over himself. (1 Cor 9:24-27) If he knew he wasn't saved yet and still preached and did good works any unsaved person can. Being saved is not what gives a person holy spirit, it is dedicating one's life to Jehovah and getting baptized. (Ac 10:44-48) A saved person has run their course through life and were faithful to the end, as Jesus said they must do. The rest of us are still running it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #63

Post by Wootah »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:04 am

You're using the past tense again. Any person that is alive is not saved. Only a person that has stayed faithful to the end of their life or the end of this wicked system will be saved. That is what the Bible says. Can a non saved person do good works? Yes! Even Paul was afraid that he might be disqualified from the race for eternal life if he wasn't exercising control over himself. (1 Cor 9:24-27) If he knew he wasn't saved yet and still preached and did good works any unsaved person can. Being saved is not what gives a person holy spirit, it is dedicating one's life to Jehovah and getting baptized. (Ac 10:44-48) A saved person has run their course through life and were faithful to the end, as Jesus said they must do. The rest of us are still running it.
You are not saved? In Christianity, you are saved by accepting the finished work of Jesus Christ and acknowledging him as Lord. You have an assurance of salvation based on His resurrection as our first fruits.

1 Cor 9:24-27 is a response to the grace God has shown Paul. God first then Paul's response.

Ac 10:44-48 - Paul is saying they have received the Holy Spirit already so baptism isn't a problem,
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.
So clearly they received the Spirit before baptism.

Why be a JW and have no trust that the Lord has saved you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #64

Post by Wootah »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:15 pm

You are not saved? In Christianity, you are saved by accepting the finished work of Jesus Christ and acknowledging him as Lord. You have an assurance of salvation based on His resurrection as our first fruits.

1 Cor 9:24-27 is a response to the grace God has shown Paul. God first then Paul's response.

Ac 10:44-48 - Paul is saying they have received the Holy Spirit already so baptism isn't a problem,
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Clearly we can't do good works that please God without faith.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Miles
Savant

Post #65

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:36 pm

6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
So, what kind of good works without faith would please god? None at all????

Lacking faith, would saving someone from drowning not please god? How about leading a dozen people out of a burning building? Wouldn't this please god even if I lacked faith? How about eating all my peas and carrots? More than once my mother told me that this would please god, and at the time I didn't even know what a god was. No? Maybe it's just as well we do good works for their own sake and forget about pleasing him if he's going to be so godawful picky.

Wootah
Savant

Post #66

Post by Wootah »

Miles wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:33 pm

Lacking faith, would saving someone from drowning not please god? How about leading a dozen people out of a burning building? Wouldn't this please god even if I lacked faith? How about eating all my peas and carrots? More than once my mother told me that this would please god, and at the time I didn't even know what a god was. No? Maybe it's just as well we do good works for their own sake and forget about pleasing him if he's going to be so godawful picky.

Well God is picky - no doubt about that. He picks none of us and only His Son.

Miles
Savant

Post #67

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:02 am
Miles wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:33 pm

Well God is picky - no doubt about that. He picks none of us and only His Son.
Then I don't see any use for him. Begone with ya YHWH, and your ridiculous need for worship and praise.

Wootah
Savant

Post #68

Post by Wootah »

Miles wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:42 am
Then I don't see any use for him. Begone with ya YHWH, and your ridiculous need for worship and praise.

Well, the purpose is this.

Matthew 11:28-30
New International Version
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
It's about lightening your burdens of trying to earn your way through life. For me that verse is very true.

The JWs I replied to want to keep that burden on you/us/themselves and want to work and earn their way into heaven. Jesus wants to take the burden of you off you.

Anyway, try to understand it and steelman it and then explain why you reject it would be my hope for you.

Miles
Savant

Post #69

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:12 am
Miles wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:42 am

Well, the purpose is this.

Matthew 11:28-30
New International Version
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Not weary..... Don't have any burden..... Am quite rested. O:)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #70

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 am [Replying to onewithhim in post #57]

How will you do the good works the father intended you to do if you are not saved and don't have the holy spirit indwelling in you?
I AM saved, so far. If I died today I would eventually wake up in paradise, a "righteous" person. (Acts 24:15) All Christians have holy spirit to some degree. I rely on it to guide me every day. My goal is to KEEP doing the Father's work, and STAY on the road to life. (Matthew 7: 13,14,21)