Truth...subjective or objective?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Truth...subjective or objective?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are those that say, "This is my truth". What is truth? Does it even exist and how can you show evidence of 'your truth'? Is there any truth that everyone can agree on?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Truth...subjective or objective?

Post #151

Post by brunumb »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:38 am The only way I'd accept abiogenesis as an objective truth is if I can observe it like I have observed biogenesis. Only rather than watching life make life, I can walk into a lifeless environment, an environment that was created by no one and watch as new life comes from non-living matter with no other life helping it in ANY way. I've been told I'm asking for the impossible. Then apparently abiogenesis is impossible.
If abiogenesis required a specific environment to occur, then it is unreasonable to expect to observe it in any other environment. Just because you have not observed this rare event does not mean it is impossible.
Have they found that environment other than in a lab yet?
You are just side-stepping the issue. There is a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis, but you just don't want to accept it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #152

Post by 2timothy316 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:38 am The only way I'd accept abiogenesis as an objective truth is if I can observe it like I have observed biogenesis. Only rather than watching life make life, I can walk into a lifeless environment, an environment that was created by no one and watch as new life comes from non-living matter with no other life helping it in ANY way. I've been told I'm asking for the impossible. Then apparently abiogenesis is impossible.
If abiogenesis required a specific environment to occur, then it is unreasonable to expect to observe it in any other environment. Just because you have not observed this rare event does not mean it is impossible.
Have they found that environment other than in a lab yet?
You are just side-stepping the issue. There is a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis, but you just don't want to accept it.
Um because I haven't....
What is your definition for abiogenesis?
Autobgenesis or abiogenesis says that life comes about by itself without outside influence from another living thing. I have I seen this? No Never. Have you?

otseng
Savant

Post #153

Post by otseng »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:40 am So, I think we've entertained him enough. Life is too short to play chess with pigeons.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please debate without the personal comments.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

brunumb
Savant

Post #154

Post by brunumb »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:54 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm If abiogenesis required a specific environment to occur, then it is unreasonable to expect to observe it in any other environment. Just because you have not observed this rare event does not mean it is impossible.
brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm You are just side-stepping the issue. There is a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis, but you just don't want to accept it.
Um because I haven't....
Autobgenesis or abiogenesis says that life comes about by itself without outside influence from another living thing. I have I seen this? No Never. Have you?
Irrelevant. Even accepting the definition, you have been provided with a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis. Therefore, your failure to observe it is not a valid argument against it happening.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #155

Post by boatsnguitars »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:12 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm If abiogenesis required a specific environment to occur, then it is unreasonable to expect to observe it in any other environment. Just because you have not observed this rare event does not mean it is impossible.
brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:39 pm You are just side-stepping the issue. There is a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis, but you just don't want to accept it.
Um because I haven't....
Irrelevant. Even accepting the definition, you have been provided with a reasonable explanation for why you may not have observed abiogenesis. Therefore, your failure to observe it is not a valid argument against it happening.
This is an exceptional point. Even under his definition, his request is remarkably ignorant. It's like saying, "I can't believe Jesus died on the cross unless I personally see him die on the cross." It's not just that seeing something is the only way to believe something. It not only that it's a rare event. It also that to ask to see it is literally incoherent; is literally incompatible with the basic facts of what you are asking.

"I can't believe the Miracle on Ice happened unless I personally witness the Miracle on Ice." One has to acknowledge that the whole point of the MoI was that it was a one-time event in history and can't be repeated. But, it appears, Christians think it's reasonable to expect it - or, they think it reasonable to not believe anything they haven't personally witnessed. (I'd love to see how this works in the real world for them, like getting paid for work: Boss says, "I didn't see you build that house, I'm not paying you.")

IMO, I think he knows this.

So, maybe the response is, "Timothy, is it true that "with God all things are possible?” Would that include abiogenesis, or can't abiogenesis happen with God?" (He'll say, "Oh, sure, if God allows it, it can happen." Suddenly, abiogenesis is just fine.)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #156

Post by 2timothy316 »

Um because I haven't....
Its valid to me. I care not about what you feel is valid for me so you can dismiss your lack of being able to show an example of autogenesis. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it did happen and isn't evidence that it did. Your point is meaningless. The only point I take from this is that there are those that accept something they have never seen as true. That makes it subjective.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #157

Post by TRANSPONDER »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:27 am
Um because I haven't....
Its valid to me. I care not about you feel is valid for me so you can dismiss your lack of being able to show an example of autogenesis. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it did happen and isn't evidence that it did. Your point is meaningless. The only point I take from this is that there are those that accept something they have never seen as true. That makes it subjective.
No. Because you are misrepresenting the hypothesis of Abiogenesis in order to make it seem that it is some kind of faith claim. It may have been claimed uncautiously as 'It did happen' but it is 'only a theory' based on the projected evidence of evolution. That it isn't seen in nature is like refusing to believe the battle of Waterloo because it doesn't happen today. The conditions were different and DNA replication is there and doesn't need to be started again. I understand the incredulity just as in Cosmic origins but it is not going to debunk the hypothesis with the argument you give.

The hypothesis is objective in that it is understood that it is not proven and is just a hypothesis. And what it valid for you is irrelevant. As are your projected accusations of bias. It is rather your apologetic that is emotional, because you want to keep Biblegod as the only credible option.

And I'm willing to play this little game of trying to Get the Last Word indefinitely ;)

Goose
Guru

Post #158

Post by Goose »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:52 am No. Because you are misrepresenting the hypothesis of Abiogenesis in order to make it seem that it is some kind of faith claim.
As it relates to the idea that the first life emerged on earth from non-living material naturally, how is abiogenesis not "some kind of faith claim"?
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #159

Post by Bust Nak »

Goose wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:49 am As it relates to the idea that the first life emerged on earth from non-living material naturally, how is abiogenesis not "some kind of faith claim"?
Quite simply because it is scientific claim, no faith required.

Goose
Guru

Post #160

Post by Goose »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:12 am
Goose wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:49 am As it relates to the idea that the first life emerged on earth from non-living material naturally, how is abiogenesis not "some kind of faith claim"?
Quite simply because it is scientific claim, no faith required.
How is there no faith required? I don't follow you.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)