Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Trusting Science over Religion: A Pragmatic Approach

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Decisions carry profound consequences. This is why it is critical to rely on evidence-based reasoning to address critical issues. While it's fine to invent your own personal worldview and pretend everything is as you believe, in Reality - in real, serious, no-kidding Reality - it's absolutely imperative to prioritize the rigorous methodologies and objective inquiry of science when making crucial choices that impact humanity. The scientific method empowers us to confront challenges with clarity, precision, and adaptability, enabling us to navigate complex problems in a constantly evolving world.

Empirical Evidence
"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. Its goal is to find out how the world works, to seek what regularities there may be, to penetrate the connections of things - from subnulear particles, which may be the constituents of all matter, to living organisms, the human social community, and thence the to the cosmos as a whole. Our intuition is by no means an infallible guise. Our perceptions may be distorted by training and prejudice or merely because of the limitations of our sense organs, which, of course, perceive directly but a small fraction of the phenomenon of the world"
From Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan

"Science cannot be stopped. Man will gather knowledge no matter what the consequences — and we cannot predict what they will be. Science will go on — whether we are pessimistic, or are optimistic, as I am. I know that great, interesting, and valuable discoveries can be made and will be made… But I know also that still more interesting discoveries will be made that I have not the imagination to describe — and I am awaiting them, full of curiosity and enthusiasm.
Linus Pauling

vs.

"16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. 18 They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them."

Science relies on empirical evidence, garnered through observation, experimentation, and data analysis. This robust methodology helps us understand natural phenomena but also offers practical solutions to pressing problems. For example, medical science has revolutionized healthcare with vaccines, antibiotics, and surgical techniques, saving countless lives.
Try applying that to the Bible quote...

Religion and the Interpretation Quandary
"Science is a philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance. You cannot build a program of discovery on the assumption that nobody is smart enough to figure out the answer to a problem." Neil deGrasse Tyson
https://neildegrassetyson.com/essays/20 ... ignorance/

vs.

"For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his testicles broken. No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:18-21)

Religion, based on faith and belief, encounters the challenge of diverse interpretations. With thousands of religious sects and doctrines worldwide, conflicting interpretations can lead to inaction or even conflict. In contrast, science encourages open discussion, peer review, and a collective pursuit of truth.
Imagine trying to figure out if God allows blind people near him. All you'll get is opinion.

Climate Change: A Case Study
"The scientific consensus is clear: climate change is occurring, and human activities are the primary driver."
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C, 2018

vs.

"The earth lies defiled under its inhabitants; for they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse devours the earth, and its inhabitants suffer for their guilt; therefore the inhabitants of the earth are scorched, and few men are left."
Isaiah 24:5-6

When facing global issues like climate change, it is imperative to trust scientific consensus. A staggering 97% of actively publishing climate scientists agree that human activities contribute to global warming (NASA). Neglecting this consensus risks irreversible ecological damage and social upheaval.
While one might see the Bible quote as a prophesy, it does nothing to help us understand the problem or solve it.

Medical Ethics and End-of-Life Decisions
"Modern medicine has made tremendous strides, saving countless lives and alleviating suffering through evidence-based treatments, advanced surgical techniques, and cutting-edge technologies."
Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

vs.

James 5:14-15 (ESV): "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."
Matthew 9:12 (ESV): "But when he heard it, he said, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.'"
Exodus 15:26 (ESV): "If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your healer."
Jeremiah 17:14 (ESV): "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise."

The field of medical ethics wrestles with profound questions related to life, death, and human dignity. While religious beliefs play a role, medical decisions must be grounded in evidence-based medicine to prioritize patient well-being. Euthanasia, for instance, demands objective evaluation of patient autonomy and the alleviation of suffering, drawing on secular moral principles and empirical studies on quality of life. If Christians followed the Bible, they'd prefer people to die in pain.

Moral Progress: Embracing Inclusivity
"Science can teach us, and I think our own hearts can teach us, no longer to look around for imaginary supports, no longer to invent allies in the sky, but rather to look to our own efforts here below to make this world a better place to live in, instead of the sort of place that the churches in all these centuries have made it."
Carl Sagan

vs.

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother."
Mark 12:19

As societies evolve, so do moral values and ethical standards. History shows that religious institutions have resisted changes in social norms, such as women's rights and LGBTQ+ inclusion. On the other hand, scientific inquiry fosters openness and embraces diversity, leading to greater social progress.
Imagine being who you are today, with your moral values, living in 0 CE after thousands of years of Yahweh's management of the religious world - you'd either hate it or be burned as an infidel. Even Christians.

Conclusion

While respecting the significance of religious beliefs in individuals' lives, it is crucial to prioritize science when addressing pivotal matters that affect humanity collectively. Science provides an adaptive, evidence-based framework to confront global challenges, encourages open dialogue, and fosters inclusivity. Trusting science over religion when dealing with important issues empowers us to make informed choices, promoting progress, and securing a brighter future for generations to come.

"There's simply no polite way to tell people they've dedicated their lives to an illusion."
Daniel Dennett

Debate:

Resolved: Science is obviously the best tool we have to know about our world. Religion is made up and useless - except in the most minor way to an individual, or if you want to make money fleecing old ladies.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Trusting Science over Religion: A Pragmatic Approach

Post #21

Post by boatsnguitars »

You can't tell me the posters of these videos believe these stories are real. (Notice there is no video!) This is fraud, but look at the comments! This is not normal, people! This is a scam to get people to send this guy (Pastor Mark Hemans) money - but of course Christians won't care. They'll support the lie.

Comments:
@annsoini1852
I'M BELIEVING FOR DENTAL MIRACLES IN JESUS MIGHTY AND GLORIOUS NAME!!!

@cinderelly6443
I have struggled with physical sickness for almost 40 years. About 2010 as a seer I watched the enemy trying to saw off my spine and neck. Later it was confirmed cervical instability and part of my C2 missing. Please agree in prayer for me for a creative miracle. I am called to build and direct a Global Miracle Healing Centre NYC ♥️ and relocate from Glasgow Scotland UK. I need to be able to walk properly and fly without dizziness and balance problems. Lord have mercy ♥️

@YeshuaKingofkings
Praise God 🙏♥️✝️🔥 i believe we will see more & more awesome miracles, signs and wonders in Jesus Christ's name🙏

@oldapartmentpark
Amen. I was just thanking Jesus that the same Spirit that weaves us in the womb is the same Spirit that grows limbs. I know the Lord has called me to bring this miracle to bear. Thank you, Lord. I know You will do this and bring so many to the knowledge of Your Love.

@sandimainwaring6450
Nov 4th 1977 at 2.30pm Wednesday in a prayer group with 12 other people Jesus grew my left leg out in front of them all.
I was born with one leg shorter than the other by inches and when I was asked by the group leader what I wanted from God I said I wanted good looking legs.
The group leader had me sit in a chair holding just the bottoms of my heals resting in the palms of his hands. He commanded in Jesus name for my leg to be healed.
My left leg started expanding out and this leg which was shorter than the right was now moving LONGER than the right leg by alot!
I shouted out- no Lord! - you are making my leg too long! Then just as smoothly the left leg came back in and measured equally with the right one.
I had always had back pains and walking issues before this day and from then until now I have not had this problem.
Btw my brother who was also born with the same problem was healed exactly the same way 2 years later.
I was baptised in the Holy Spirit speaking in tongues on this same day.
Praise Jesus.

@siyamthandamagaga7980
I believe in miracles, thank you Lord Jesus

@heathercombs9014
I command in the mighty name of Jesus Christ to heal me of all mental illness and autism. Amen.

@hollymccraney3546
I ask the Lord to heal my husbands speech and fully restore the right side of his body to be fully restored in the name of Jesus. My husband is made whole by the stripes of Jesus. Thank you heavenly Father Amen

@Jedmontson
Nothing but the Power of the Holy Spirit ‼️💯🙏🏾

@hopesingh1640
I've heard about what happened at Azuzs's Street many received Jesus and miracles happened. GOD is a miracle working GOD 🙏🙏🙏

@victoryfire4750
AMEN!!! THANK YOU JESUS for SUPERNATURALLY REMOVING all the cysts & everything that shouldn't be in my body!!! I AM HEALED IN JESUS NAME!!!🔥🔥💖💖😇😇

@miriamabraham9694
What a mighty God we serve! He is a miracle-working God! Jesus is our healer. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Amen!

@myreallife6386
The presence of God was coming off of this video in my feed and I had to watch! I want to see these things too. Nobody can deny God when they see miracles like this. I’m believing God for full restoration of my own body. Thank You for this great testimony!

@vessela-b8871
I needed to hear this. God please bless me with this kind of annointing.

@sylviaquansah7456
Glory be to God

@lindaclark9547
YES and AMEN HALLELUJAH I BELIEVE FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS...IN THE MIGHTY NAME OF JESUS...

@catherinerandall1966
I was dying g from SARS I was drowning In my lungs. My son prayed in Jesus holy name. He recalled reading of casting into pigs and he did so. Our pet Guinea pig started coughing and died, but I was healed completely.

@ChildrenofthelivingGod
Too amazing!!!! Lord these miracles you do in other’s lives do the same for me 😩🙏

@elizabethnchapi9963
Glory to Jesus 🙌

@BenChung78
Lord Jesus you are the redeemer of the soul that humbles itself and repents....and you are the healer of the repentant souls who have suffered terrible physical and emotional tragedies. We will continue to pray that more souls find repentance salvation and healing from all ailments...including all of our own. Amen

@Hasvini29
Let thy name be glorified
In the name of Jesus I command this leg to grow out
The gangrene is gone
You are healed

What a simple prayer

@stevenartascos2918
Let your great name be glorified!!! Thank you Jesus who defeated death for us!!!

@leeannem5665
I pray that in the mighty name of Jesus, that Azuza street miracles happen within my own family and extended family. My own cousin, who is a believer in Christ and a prayer warrior for others needs this sort of miracle. She has been praying for this sort of miracle.
So I pray in the mighty name of Jesus, for everyone that sees this clip and reads this post, to agree with me in prayer for new teeth to grow in my cousins mouth. And for the bad ones to fall out painlessly while she sleeps. I pray that through this miracle, every single one of our family members is saved or comes back to Christ. I pray for revival. For God‘s glory. Amen.

@seniorinstructor9813
Praise GOD he is absolutely Good 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🕊🕊🕊🕊

@bpf3895
Praise the LORD 👏👏👏🙌

@Andrewjames319
Songs like this fill my soul with joy. I lost my leg in a war at a very young age. I had no means of getting income, my wife left me cause I wasn’t able to met up with her needs anymore, things were going bad for me until I met a man of God named Cory Joseph Paul Skype and Facebook. I had conversations with him and after that we being Business like christ like in which I invested one thousand dollars with him. This man was God sent and I will not be where I am if God didn’t send him to me. My story changed from grass to grace, he introduced me to a bitcoin business 3 years ago. Now I own my own small charity where I help christians who are in need of financial help. I see myself doing Gods work and what he wants us to do. i am here to motivate and make you understand that with God nothing is impossible .

@luztorres4346
Gloria a Dios! Glory to God!!

@valerieirvin249
Honestly, the condition our world is in today this is the ONLY thing that can restore our hope , our souls.
Bodies need healing but our minds n hearts even more so.
May there be a fresh falling of God's anointing on His people....in Yeshewas name, 🙏

@belovedofthelord7355
I am believing GOD to heal both of my eyes from glaucoma, from stroke that has affected my vision too! JESUS CHRIST IS THE SAME YESTERDAY,TODAY AND FOREVER!
WE WILL TESTIFY OF HIS GOODNESS AND POWER!
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: Trusting Science over Religion: A Pragmatic Approach

Post #22

Post by The Barbarian »

DrNoGods wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:19 pm Modern science relies on the work of thousands of scientists from the past. It is irrelevant whether they were religious or not, and many were not.
And many were religious but not the religions many Americans would like. Muslims, for example:

Al-Hasan ibn Al-Haytham - Founder of the science of optics

Piri Reis - Geography and cartography

Muhammad ibn Musa Al-Khwarizmi - Developed Algebra

Jabir Ibn Hayyan - Chemistry

Avicenna - Medicine

JEWISH
Niels Bohr - Physics

Albert Einstein - Physics (Einstein was actually a Spinozan deist)

Paul Erlich - Microbiology, Hematology, Medicine

John von Neumann - Computers and cybernetics

Lots of other non-Christian theists who were great scientists.