"Worship!" Proves the 'god' of the Bible is not God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

"Worship!" Proves the 'god' of the Bible is not God

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Credit to Boatsnguitars for Why Ought we Worship God?, this question for debate asks, "Didn't the Bible tell us, in its beginning, that the god it promotes is merely a tribal god, an object of worship rather than a true God that does not need to be worshiped?

The god of the Bible seems to act so very much like a human. He wants to be worshiped and loved and is, he says, jealous and angry... vengeful and vindictive... but "he loves us."

I would expect a true creator of the universe to be calm and confident; above even the issue of confidence. Having made the universe and all its creatures, he would understand us very well and laugh at the idea he needed anything, let alone praise. Why would he need or want validation? I would expect he would love all his creation, every tribe and every person, else why would he create them? Why would he have a "chosen" tribe or family, one above all others?

Instead, the image of the 'god' of the Bible is of one exactly like us with all our issues. 'He' is exactly the kind of 'god' man would invent to be used to reinforce tribal rules and the power of the leaders to control the crowd and make things run smoothly. The 'god' of the Bible resembles a fictitious tool, an implement to keep the unruly in line.
Last edited by Diogenes on Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POI
Prodigy

Re: "Worship!" Proves the 'god' of the Bible is not God

Post #71

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:55 am
POI wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:42 pm ...
Does this mean if a Christian worships him, he disapproves? ...
I believe He approves it, if done in a good way.

But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeks such ones that worship Him.
John 4:23

Interesting thing is that for example Finnish translation uses word prayer in this, instead of worshiper.
I feel this is important. Hence, I'm giving you another chance to respond.

I'm asking again, in light of how your prior responses have been presented thus far.

A) God would prefer you worship him, which means he actually wants or desired your worship?
B) God would prefer that you do not worship him, which means he does not want or desire your worship in any capacity?
C) God is completely indifferent to your worship of him?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Wootah
Savant

Re: In the Beginng: Proof the 'god' of the Bible is not God

Post #72

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #51]
I think so. I think good came as a man for that reason. The ideal man to follow.

Christianity is unique in that we know we follow a man.

I am very guardian in that I think humans are mimics, followers.

Most people don't know who they follow/worship.

Do you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: In the Beginng: Proof the 'god' of the Bible is not God

Post #73

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:20 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #51]
I think so. I think good came as a man for that reason. The ideal man to follow.

Christianity is unique in that we know we follow a man.

I am very guardian in that I think humans are mimics, followers.

Most people don't know who they follow/worship.

Do you?
Most religions follow a man either as a teacher, a prophet or a god incarnated. There is nothing special about Christianity other than it reads convincingly as recorded events - until one starts to 'Really read the Bible', as I was challenged to, and I saw the shocking plot holes.

People don't do critical thinking because they do not get taught it. Even so, I think people are waking up to the fact that Christianity is not all it's cracked up to be.

Savant

Post #74

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:04 pm I feel this is important. ...
Why?
POI wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:04 pm I'm asking again, in light of how your prior responses have been presented thus far.

A) God would prefer you worship him, which means he actually wants or desired your worship?
B) God would prefer that you do not worship him, which means he does not want or desire your worship in any capacity?
My answer still is: I believe God likes, if He is prayed/worshiped, if people do it voluntarily, because they want to do so, but He doesn't command it.

POI
Prodigy

Post #75

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:54 am My answer still is: I believe God likes, if He is prayed/worshiped, if people do it voluntarily, because they want to do so, but He doesn't command it.
Thus, your answer is A). This means your answer given in post 66 is incorrect. (i.e.) "I don't think Bible tells God wants it, therefore I have no reason to say He wants it."

If he likes it, he wants it. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't want it. Now trek back to the OP, where it says.... "The god of the Bible seems to act so very much like a human. He wants to be worshiped and loved"

If God likes to be worshiped, then it seems reasonable to discern he wants to be worshiped.
Last edited by POI on Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #76

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:54 am
Why?
POI wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:04 pm I'm asking again, in light of how your prior responses have been presented thus far.

My answer still is: I believe God likes, if He is prayed/worshiped, if people do it voluntarily, because they want to do so, but He doesn't command it.
This is evasive. It isn't a question of what He likes or commands, but whether it matters if we don't do it. Consider the analogy of the yesman. The Bos likes it if they Yes His, and he doesn't command it, but you can expect to be out the door if you don't.

You may laugh, but this is what 'Fear and Trembling' is all about. That's why Bublgod id not the god, if there is one. It is a violent and dictatorial bully made up by men with the same mindset.

POI
Prodigy

Post #77

Post by POI »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 pm
Why?

This is evasive. It isn't a question of what He likes or commands, but whether it matters if we don't do it. Consider the analogy of the yesman. The Bos likes it if they Yes His, and he doesn't command it, but you can expect to be out the door if you don't.

You may laugh, but this is what 'Fear and Trembling' is all about. That's why Bublgod id not the god, if there is one. It is a violent and dictatorial bully made up by men with the same mindset.
Doh! You beat me to the punch. I was heading that direction after filtering through his given apologetics. But yea, if he likes it, he wants it. If one does not worship him, then there is prolly a pretty good chance he's not going to like that. And if God doesn't like something, it's prolly considered a sin. And if it's a sin, it needs to be forgiven. But if this person is not praying/worshiping him, then it won't be forgiven - (being that a part of prayer is asking God for forgiveness). He shot his own foot when he tried to equate prayer with worship there, didn't he?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #78

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 pm
Why?

Doh! You beat me to the punch. I was heading that direction after filtering through his given apologetics. But yea, if he likes it, he wants it. If one does not worship him, then there is prolly a pretty good chance he's not going to like that. And if God doesn't like something, it's prolly considered a sin. And if it's a sin, it needs to be forgiven. But if this person is not praying/worshiping him, then it won't be forgiven - (being that a part of prayer is asking God for forgiveness). He shot his own foot when he tried to equate prayer with worship there, didn't he?
I think he did. Or worship with prayer, or two sides of the same coin.

In fact Prayer and worship are a human instinct and not just for gods- for any Authority figure, who may use God to back him up anyway. Rites and ceremonies may just be worship but they do seem to me to be magical mechanisms for accomplishing something. Worship (apart from obtaining God's approval) is (as Christian apologists have had to say in the end) are not for God, they are for us.

We knew that ;)

Savant

Post #79

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:39 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:54 am My answer still is: I believe God likes, if He is prayed/worshiped, if people do it voluntarily, because they want to do so, but He doesn't command it.
Thus, your answer is A). This means your answer given in post 66 is incorrect. (i.e.) "I don't think Bible tells God wants it, therefore I have no reason to say He wants it."

If he likes it, he wants it. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't want it. Now trek back to the OP, where it says.... "The god of the Bible seems to act so very much like a human. He wants to be worshiped and loved"

If God likes to be worshiped, then it seems reasonable to discern he wants to be worshiped.
My answer is what I wrote. Liking doesn't necessary mean person wants it.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #80

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:29 am
POI wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:39 pm

My answer is what I wrote. Liking doesn't necessary mean person wants it.
O:) It reminds me of the Asian pump primer, which is not too common and isn't limited to Asia, but is a matriarchal control instinct. It is doing a little unwanted favor forced on someone who doesn't want it but it is impolite to refuse. The the giver acts like they are owed something - like total respect and obedience.

This is a narcissistic control -method, which people (including experts) don't seem to have picked up. But aside that, any god with two brain cells to bang together should see through this business of giving worship that God doesn't ask for or want (never mind that the Bible seems to suggest he likes and demands it) prayer or worship and yet the worshipper seems to think that God sorta owed him something (salvation, or some favor in this life) for doing it.

I think there is a sacrifice - instinct, similar to reciprocity instinct. Humung beans seems to have been led to believe that if they sacrifice something of great value (virgin daughters, as often as not :| ) they will be gaining some favor. I think this is behind worship (other than for those who treat it like a rock concert) Haven't we felt the relief of 'well, I did my duty to God, doing two hours of boring religion; He has to be pleased with me'. God gets reduced to the feelgood feeling of finally getting that washing - up done or the lawn mowed.

"What a good boy am I" It';s all about the worshipper and their feelgood, not about a god who for sure, isn't there.