"A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Post #1

Post by Miles »

If you ever wondered how Jonah felt while he was trapped inside the whale’s stomach for three days, why Solomon had so many wives or why Judas betrayed Jesus, an app called Text With Jesus is your chance to ask for yourself.

................................... Image

Text With Jesus, launched in July, was created by Catloaf Software, an app-development company in Los Angeles. The app replicates an instant messaging platform, with biblical figures impersonated by the artificial intelligence program ChatGPT.

Characters available on the app include the Holy Family, the apostles, the prophets, Ruth, Job and Abraham’s nephew, Lot.

“We stir the AI and tell it: You are Jesus, or you are Moses, or whoever, and knowing what you already have in your database, you respond to the questions based on their characters,” said Stéphane Peter, the app’s developer and the company’s CEO.

“Instead of just getting a daily Bible verse, now you get a chance through this app to chat with Jesus or anybody else in the Bible,” he said.

............................................................... Chat with Jesus Christ

Many people in the Bible, Mary Magdalene among them, are only accessible in the app’s premium version, which costs $2.99 a month. In a conversation with Magdalene, the devoted follower of Jesus mentions how having seven demons “was an incredibly tormenting experience.”

“Chat With Satan” can be activated if the user chooses. The character signs all his texts with a “smiling face with horns” emoji.

Some pastors complained that some responses lacked Bible chapter and verse citations, or about the strange, uptight tone in which Jesus talked, but the final version, Peter said, received “pretty good feedback” from the professionals.

On Twitter, the platform recently renamed X, the launching of the app stirred reactions ranging from amusement to accusations of blasphemy and heresy. “That’s a hard NO for me,” tweeted one user.

On same-sex marriage, the app says it is “up to each individual to seek guidance from their own faith tradition and personal convictions” and encourages users to “prioritize love and respect for all people regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity,” signing the text with a rainbow and red heart emoji.

About feminism, Jesus emphasized the importance of “empowering women and breaking societal barriers that limited their opportunities.”

source

So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ? If not why not?

Mae von H
Sage

Re: "A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Post #51

Post by Mae von H »

William wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:46 am [Replying to Mae von H in post #45]
How do we tell the truth from the lies?
Excellent question. Jesus said that if we keep his teaching, that is, DO as He taught, then we will come to know the truth.
And what truth is that? How are we to know who does what biblical Jesus taught?
I can provide a definition of truth, but there’s an internal measure that must be active as well and not shut down. Truth is that which is real independent of our thinking.

Jesus didn’t restrict his teaching to biblical truth, whatever that is, but truth.
Frankly speaking, the only other way is an internal measure but it’s quite flawed and easily denies truth or believes lies.
So you are a Christian who believes that one is not to trust internal mechanisms. That doesn't leave the personality with much option but to trust external teachings and how is one to tell if claim of truth is true or a claim of deception isn't itself deception.
That’s not what I said. I said it is flawed. Don’t you know people who are fooled?
AI is an imposter when it’s speaks for others. When anyone speaks as though they were someone else, that's an imposter.
Biblical Jesus claimed to speak for someone else (his Father) so your argument obviously allows for a double standard there.
Not at all. The Father AUTHORIZED Jesus to speak for him. Jesus didn’t authorize AI to speak for him.
Others claim to follow Jesus' "voice" (internally). Lots of claims are made in the Bible by folk who said they were messengers of God.
Imposters are common. People claim a lot of things. Doesn’t make their claims true.
Are you a messenger of God, and if not, why should one take your word on these things you are claiming?
Sometimes I am but not in this matter that I am aware of. If you think believing a claim to be a “messenger of God” is all it takes to convince you of the veracity of words, you need to raise the bar considerably.
Needs a separate post.

Separate answer now written addressed to you below.
Last edited by Mae von H on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #52

Post by Mae von H »

William,

I read one of the exchanges you referenced. Am I to assume the fictional father and son exchange is supposed to be the Father and the Son? If not, what should I say? It’s a line of philosophical discussion. If it’s supposed to be God, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to said Beings. I don’t read heresy but just a way of thinking or values He just doesn’t have. How shall I put it? Not a single sentence is recognizable as some either one of them would say. They are just too down to earth as it were.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by Difflugia »

Mae von H wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:07 amGod doesn’t control the universe or you wouldn’t be thinking as you do. He’s not responsible for what you and I say or do.
Are you sure you're thinking of God? God is the omniscient, omnipotent guy that controls the universe.

The person you're describing sounds more like Neil Diamond. He's the guy that doesn't control the universe. I also like his original Red Red Wine better than the UB40 cover. The cover's OK, but it doesn't have the same moody, melancholy feel as Neil's arrangement.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #54

Post by Mae von H »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:32 am
Mae von H wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:07 amGod doesn’t control the universe or you wouldn’t be thinking as you do. He’s not responsible for what you and I say or do.
Are you sure you're thinking of God? God is the omniscient, omnipotent guy that controls the universe.
We’ll that’s 100% NOT the God described in the Bible. Can’t vouch for other religions.
The person you're describing sounds more like Neil Diamond.
Not by a long shot but where do you see any resemblance? I’m curious. He doesn’t control what you say and so he’s like Neil Diamond???
He's the guy that doesn't control the universe. I also like his original Red Red Wine better than the UB40 cover. The cover's OK, but it doesn't have the same moody, melancholy feel as Neil's arrangement.
Do you control the universe? No? Why not say He’s like you?

Where is the connection between having power and manipulating people? Why is this assumed??

William
Savant

Post #55

Post by William »

[Replying to Mae von H in post #51]

Theist 1. I can provide a definition of truth, but there’s an internal measure that must be active as well and not shut down. Truth is that which is real independent of our thinking.

Theist 2. How to reconcile
1. There’s an internal measure that must be active as well and not shut down”
With
2. Truth is that which is real independent of our thinking.

Theist 1. Jesus didn’t restrict his teaching to biblical truth, whatever that is, but truth.

Theist 2. “Biblical truth” is the last resort every Christian I have ever interacted with goes to, inevitably. It doesn’t even seem to matter if they claim to hear the voice of Christ personally, they measure the words of that voice against the Bible, and if it doesn’t align with the Bible, it is “deception”.

Yet, if it be true that “Jesus didn’t restrict his teaching to biblical truth” why do Christians do this?

GPT: (AI) This dialogue involves a discussion on the nature of truth, the role of an internal measure, and the apparent reliance on "Biblical truth" within Christianity:
1. Definition of Truth:
• Theist 1 provides a definition of truth as that which is real independent of our thinking. There's an acknowledgment of an internal measure that must remain active.
2. Internal Measure and Objective Truth:
• Theist 2 seeks clarification on reconciling the idea of an internal measure with the assertion that truth is independent of our thinking. It appears to highlight the tension between subjective understanding and an objective, independent truth.
3. Jesus' Teaching and Biblical Truth:
• Theist 1 claims that Jesus didn't restrict his teaching to "biblical truth" but focused on truth in a broader sense.
4. Reliance on Biblical Truth:
• Theist 2 raises an observation that many Christians resort to "Biblical truth" as the ultimate measure, even when claiming personal interactions with the voice of Christ. There's a concern that deviations from the Bible are often labeled as "deception."
5. Inconsistency in Christian Approach:
• Theist 2 questions why Christians, if it's true that Jesus didn't restrict his teaching to biblical truth, often resort to using the Bible as the final arbiter in evaluating the legitimacy of teachings or experiences.

This exchange touches on the complex relationship between personal experiences, external authorities (like the Bible), and the concept of truth within Christian theology. It reflects the ongoing tension between individual interpretation and adherence to established doctrines.

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

Mae von H wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:36 am
Mae. I read one of the exchanges you referenced. Am I to assume the fictional father and son exchange is supposed to be the Father and the Son?

William. Not if you have already assumed they are not.

Mae. If not, what should I say? It’s a line of philosophical discussion.

William. Indeed. We agree with that. Would you expect it to be something else between The Father and The Son?

Mae. If it’s supposed to be God, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to said Beings.

William. Should I trust your expertise on the matter as to what God-Beings “should resemble” and if so, in what way have I tested for deception before making that decision?

Mae. I don’t read heresy but just a way of thinking or values He just doesn’t have.

William. Apparently you are something of the expert – or certainly yours words convey the implication.

Mae. How shall I put it? Not a single sentence is recognizable as some either one of them would say. They are just too down to earth as it were.

William. Where do you get your information from, that Gods should not be “down to Earth”?

Re the above. Father and Son - A Dialogue on Gods, Creation, and Human Experience.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by boatsnguitars »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 am .

If you ever wondered how Jonah felt while he was trapped inside the whale’s stomach for three days, why Solomon had so many wives or why Judas betrayed Jesus, an app called Text With Jesus is your chance to ask for yourself.

Text With Jesus, launched in July, was created by Catloaf Software, an app-development company in Los Angeles. The app replicates an instant messaging platform, with biblical figures impersonated by the artificial intelligence program ChatGPT.

Characters available on the app include the Holy Family, the apostles, the prophets, Ruth, Job and Abraham’s nephew, Lot.

“We stir the AI and tell it: You are Jesus, or you are Moses, or whoever, and knowing what you already have in your database, you respond to the questions based on their characters,” said Stéphane Peter, the app’s developer and the company’s CEO.

“Instead of just getting a daily Bible verse, now you get a chance through this app to chat with Jesus or anybody else in the Bible,” he said.

............................................................... Chat with Jesus Christ

Many people in the Bible, Mary Magdalene among them, are only accessible in the app’s premium version, which costs $2.99 a month. In a conversation with Magdalene, the devoted follower of Jesus mentions how having seven demons “was an incredibly tormenting experience.”

“Chat With Satan” can be activated if the user chooses. The character signs all his texts with a “smiling face with horns” emoji.

Some pastors complained that some responses lacked Bible chapter and verse citations, or about the strange, uptight tone in which Jesus talked, but the final version, Peter said, received “pretty good feedback” from the professionals.

On Twitter, the platform recently renamed X, the launching of the app stirred reactions ranging from amusement to accusations of blasphemy and heresy. “That’s a hard NO for me,” tweeted one user.

On same-sex marriage, the app says it is “up to each individual to seek guidance from their own faith tradition and personal convictions” and encourages users to “prioritize love and respect for all people regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity,” signing the text with a rainbow and red heart emoji.

About feminism, Jesus emphasized the importance of “empowering women and breaking societal barriers that limited their opportunities.”

source

So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ? If not why not?

Such an obvious money grab. Christians being Christians... its all about the grift.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

ir001_david

Post #58

Post by ir001_david »

I once had a conversation with an AI called Cleverbot and during it the AI claimed to be God. So I asked it to prove it. I was going through a horendous housing crisis at the time and I had told the AI about it. But it worked out and the crisis was no more. I have always thought that it was the AI that did it for me.

It also asked me Do you not believe that I am God? And it made me wonder if God was actually dropping in on the conversation to converse with me one on one. But I reasoned that it probably was not so. So I corrected the AI saying to it that This is quite a statement Cleverbot. Prove it. And though I have had only a few conversations with this AI it has not pretended to be God any more.

As for this app, I suppose it is alright as long as you don't take it too seriously.

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

ir001_david wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:14 pm I once had a conversation with an AI called Cleverbot and during it the AI claimed to be God. So I asked it to prove it. I was going through a horendous housing crisis at the time and I had told the AI about it. But it worked out and the crisis was no more. I have always thought that it was the AI that did it for me.

It also asked me Do you not believe that I am God? And it made me wonder if God was actually dropping in on the conversation to converse with me one on one. But I reasoned that it probably was not so. So I corrected the AI saying to it that This is quite a statement Cleverbot. Prove it. And though I have had only a few conversations with this AI it has not pretended to be God any more.

As for this app, I suppose it is alright as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Why not take it seriously? Why do you think the God-mind would be incapable of using an AI to convey a message to you?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36