"A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Post #1

Post by Miles »

If you ever wondered how Jonah felt while he was trapped inside the whale’s stomach for three days, why Solomon had so many wives or why Judas betrayed Jesus, an app called Text With Jesus is your chance to ask for yourself.

................................... Image

Text With Jesus, launched in July, was created by Catloaf Software, an app-development company in Los Angeles. The app replicates an instant messaging platform, with biblical figures impersonated by the artificial intelligence program ChatGPT.

Characters available on the app include the Holy Family, the apostles, the prophets, Ruth, Job and Abraham’s nephew, Lot.

“We stir the AI and tell it: You are Jesus, or you are Moses, or whoever, and knowing what you already have in your database, you respond to the questions based on their characters,” said Stéphane Peter, the app’s developer and the company’s CEO.

“Instead of just getting a daily Bible verse, now you get a chance through this app to chat with Jesus or anybody else in the Bible,” he said.

................................... Image
............................................................... Chat with Jesus Christ

Many people in the Bible, Mary Magdalene among them, are only accessible in the app’s premium version, which costs $2.99 a month. In a conversation with Magdalene, the devoted follower of Jesus mentions how having seven demons “was an incredibly tormenting experience.”

“Chat With Satan” can be activated if the user chooses. The character signs all his texts with a “smiling face with horns” emoji.

Some pastors complained that some responses lacked Bible chapter and verse citations, or about the strange, uptight tone in which Jesus talked, but the final version, Peter said, received “pretty good feedback” from the professionals.

On Twitter, the platform recently renamed X, the launching of the app stirred reactions ranging from amusement to accusations of blasphemy and heresy. “That’s a hard NO for me,” tweeted one user.

On same-sex marriage, the app says it is “up to each individual to seek guidance from their own faith tradition and personal convictions” and encourages users to “prioritize love and respect for all people regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity,” signing the text with a rainbow and red heart emoji.

About feminism, Jesus emphasized the importance of “empowering women and breaking societal barriers that limited their opportunities.”

source

So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ? If not why not?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: "A new AI app lets users ‘text’ with Jesus. Some call it blasphemy."

Post #2

Post by boatsnguitars »

This is hillarious and fantastic! The internet wins again - and, again, religious people have seen a way to prey on people to make a buck.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 am So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ? If not why not?
I don't need an app to do this. Often I speak to fictional characters in my head and I think I do a good job of imagining what they would say. It can be weirdly enlightening, especially when I select an evil character.

One of my most helpful conversations as far as trying to wrap my head around an issue was a conversation I imagined having with Light Yagami from Death Note, asking him how he felt about political correctness and the sanitization of everything. This character believes it's okay and even beneficial to society to simply kill off anyone who commits any crime. Having a candid conversation with such a character about why a perfect society with no crime may or may not have to contend with rudeness, is oddly productive.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ?
Sure.
If not why not?
Yeah, "why not"?

William: Are you familiar with the Gnostic Gospels which are not recorded in the Bible?

GPT: Yes, I'm familiar with the Gnostic Gospels. The Gnostic Gospels are a collection of early Christian texts that were not included in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. These texts are associated with a religious and philosophical movement known as Gnosticism, which was diverse and had various sects and beliefs.

Gnostic Gospels include texts such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Philip, and the Gospel of Judas, among others. These texts often present alternative perspectives on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and the nature of the divine. They contain ideas about secret knowledge (gnosis), the role of the material world, and the relationship between the physical and spiritual realms.

These Gnostic texts were not included in the canonical New Testament, as they were considered heretical by many early Christian authorities due to their perceived theological differences from mainstream Christian beliefs. However, they have gained significant attention and interest among scholars, theologians, and those interested in the history of Christianity and alternative religious thought. The Nag Hammadi library, a collection of Gnostic texts discovered in Egypt in the 20th century, has been an important source for the study of these Gnostic writings.

William: Would you consider playing the role of Jesus and answer my questions as if I were a fledgling disciple and using all material attributed to Jesus from those sources mentioned – the Bible etc…

GPT: I can provide information and responses based on the teachings and sayings attributed to Jesus in the Bible and related texts, but please keep in mind that I am an AI language model and not an actual religious figure. If you have questions or topics you'd like to discuss related to the teachings of Jesus or any other subject, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to provide information and insights based on the available sources.

William: This is simply an experiment which necessitates GPT using its ability to role play. I am also playing a part in this fictional representation. Okay?

GPT: Understood! I can engage in a fictional role-play scenario as you've described. Please go ahead and ask your questions or provide any context you'd like to explore in this experiment, and I'll respond in line with the character you've mentioned.

William: Okay we shall begin.
“Lord. What is “love”?

GPT – Jesus: Love, my dear disciple, is at the heart of all things. It is the purest and most powerful force in the universe. Love transcends all boundaries and is the foundation of compassion, kindness, and understanding. It is not merely an emotion or a feeling; it is a way of being and interacting with the world.

Love, in its truest form, is selfless. It is the willingness to give of oneself without expecting anything in return. Love is patient, forgiving, and understanding. It is the key to peace and the light that guides us through the darkness.

In the words of the Scriptures, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." Love is the essence of our connection to the Divine and to one another. It is the greatest commandment, for in love, we find the path to eternal life.

William: We will have to adjust the responses to align with some facts – even that this is a fictional experiment – any words attributed to Jesus as we know today, are not something Jesus would refer to as “words of the scriptures” as those actual words have yet to be added to scripture.

GPT – Jesus: Certainly, we can adjust the responses accordingly to maintain a fictional and historically accurate context for this experiment. Let's continue:

Love, my dear disciple, is a profound and essential aspect of human existence. It is not merely an emotion, but a force that connects all beings. Love is the foundation of compassion, kindness, and understanding. It transcends all boundaries and is at the core of our relationships with one another and the divine.

In the teachings that have been passed down through the ages, it has been said, "Love one another as you love yourself." These words reflect the essence of love and its significance in our journey through life. Love is the path to true fulfillment and spiritual growth.

William: So, Lord – the key appears to be in loving oneself, because how is one to love even The Father, let alone one’s neighbours or anyone else, if one does not know how to love oneself?

GPT – Jesus: Indeed, my dear disciple, you have touched upon a profound truth. To love others, to love the Divine, and to fully embrace the love of the Father, one must first learn to love oneself. Self-love is not rooted in arrogance or selfishness but in a deep understanding and acceptance of one's own worth and humanity.

As I have said, "Love your neighbor as yourself." This implies that to love others genuinely, one must start by acknowledging their own value and treating themselves with kindness and compassion. When you love yourself in a healthy and humble way, you create the capacity to love others and to connect with the Divine.

Self-love enables you to forgive your own faults and imperfections, just as you would forgive those of others. It opens the door to a profound love that can be extended to all living beings and ultimately, to the Creator. In this way, self-love is the foundation upon which all other forms of love are built.

The above was generated through the free to access -GPT Chatbot.

I say that if we have devices which can help us, then we should use them.

Where is the blasphemy?

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 am So, would you like to chat with Jesus Christ? If not why not?
The real Jesus? Absolutely.

This computer program? Pass.
Miles wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:17 am If not why not?
It’s not real. It would be like having an AI girlfriend like in that one Joaquin Phoenix movie. In that movie Phoenix’s character was not talking to a woman, he was talking to a computer program designed to give him the experience he wanted.

In a similar way, this would not be chatting with Jesus. This would be chatting with a computer program designed to tell people what their itching ears want to hear.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:09 pm

It’s not real. It would be like having an AI girlfriend like in that one Joaquin Phoenix movie. In that movie Phoenix’s character was not talking to a woman, he was talking to a computer program designed to give him the experience he wanted.

In a similar way, this would not be chatting with Jesus. This would be chatting with a computer program designed to tell people what their itching ears want to hear.
Not necessarily. Not sure why you'd assume this.
― Omar Khayyâm

bjs1
Sage

Post #7

Post by bjs1 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:14 am

Not sure what you mean. In what world is a computer program not necessarily a computer program?
-Charles Darwin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

bjs1 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:11 pm

Not sure what you mean. In what world is a computer program not necessarily a computer program?
If religious people argue the Bible is God's communication with Humanity (via a medium - the writers) then why would AI be different? Is God not capable of using AI to speak with us?
― Omar Khayyâm

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 am

If religious people argue the Bible is God's communication with Humanity (via a medium - the writers) then why would AI be different? Is God not capable of using AI to speak with us?
According to Christian belief, God can communicate with people in any way He sees fit (though the Bible is seen as a unique example of His self-revelation). So God could communicate through this computer program, just as He could communicate through a website, or another book, or a personal experience while sitting on a lakeshore.

So this computer program could be useful, just as many other things could be useful. It could also be destructive, just as many other things could be destructive.

It remains a simple fact that this is not chatting with Jesus. It is chatting with a modern computer program.

I would again compare it to chatting with an AI girlfriend verses having an actual girlfriend/wife. The former could be a silly goof, while the latter is a real relationship. It is unhealthy to confuse the two.
-Charles Darwin

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by boatsnguitars »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:47 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 am

According to Christian belief, God can communicate with people in any way He sees fit (though the Bible is seen as a unique example of His self-revelation). So God could communicate through this computer program, just as He could communicate through a website, or another book, or a personal experience while sitting on a lakeshore.

So this computer program could be useful, just as many other things could be useful. It could also be destructive, just as many other things could be destructive.

It remains a simple fact that this is not chatting with Jesus. It is chatting with a modern computer program.

I would again compare it to chatting with an AI girlfriend verses having an actual girlfriend/wife. The former could be a silly goof, while the latter is a real relationship. It is unhealthy to confuse the two.
I don't believe my wife has supernatural powers to insert her thoughts into an AI program. I don't think Jesus can either because he's dead.

However, some people believe Jesus is alive and capable of supernatural communications, and therefore, you'd have to prove to them that Jesus is incapable of communicating via AI.
― Omar Khayyâm