Prayer

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Prayer

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate: Is prayer just talking to yourself? If not, why not? Sure, prayer may make one feel satisfied/other, but there is likely no agency, on the other side, facilitating such desired response(s).

People pray to many differing god(s) and/or other. Statistically speaking, many god(s) and/or other aren't answering, as many of these god(s) and/or other likely do not even exist. Hence, at least in part, many are merely talking to themselves in prayer. If many of the desired result(s) can happen in prayer, without any agency actually responding, because such agency does not exist, then it's quite plausible this is the case for all prayer.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Prayer

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Self talk is very powerful. If that is all prayer is then I think secularly speaking it is wise to do it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:11 pm Self talk is very powerful. If that is all prayer is then I think secularly speaking it is wise to do it.
Is this all you think prayer is?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

My thought is that prayer, like religion itself, is an evolved instinct and serves or served a survival purpose, so it may have individual and social value, or it may not. It may empower people to do their best, or it may lead them into doing foolish things, like that missionary effort to Sentinel island. It may encourage people to work for betterment, or it may lead them into deprecating or even destroying this life in hopes to get a better one after death, it may encourage people to want to help or it may delude people into thinking that prayer is doing something useful when it is doing nothing, and religion might inspire a desire for peace, but I see it much more as a tribal, divisive and dangerous dogma.

So prayer may have uses (I use meditation techniques myself) but it is best understood not used as though it was some kind of magic or messages from aliens.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

POI wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:37 pm
Wootah wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:11 pm Self talk is very powerful. If that is all prayer is then I think secularly speaking it is wise to do it.
For me prayer is a conversation with God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

POI
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by POI »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:37 am
Many people think that, who believe in a differing god or god(s) than you. How do you know that you too are not just talking to yourself, and that the god you think you are conversating with, is not really there at all?

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

POI wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:48 am
Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:37 am
Many people think that, who believe in a differing god or god(s) than you. How do you know that you too are not just talking to yourself, and that the god you think you are conversating with, is not really there at all?
Remember self talk is beneficial.

I know my theology and I am praying to God.

I do believe they are praying to their gods. Scary thought.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:30 am Remember self talk is beneficial.

I know my theology and I am praying to God.

I do believe they are praying to their gods. Scary thought.
This is incoherent. You say you are:
1. Talking to yourself.
2. Talking to God.

It sounds like you are saying, "Hey, I truly believe God exists (because if I say I question God's existence - even silently - He might get mad at me and drink my milkshake) - but, putting aside my irrational belief in God, it's rational to talk to oneself, regardless. So either way, I win."

Or, put another way, you are simply saying "Talking to oneself is beneficial, and that is ultimately what prayer is in Reality, but I do have a fantasy that God actually exists and so I use that fantasy as the impetus to talk to myself."
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:22 pm For Debate: Is prayer just talking to yourself? If not, why not? ...
No, because it is directed to someone else. However, is the someone else listening is a different issue and seems to be matter of belief.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

But talking to yourself is like talking to someone else. I know as i talk to and argue with myself at times. But I know it's me. I'd say the evidence that the believer is talking to themselves and not to a god (Name your own- I do not credit the idea that the Christian is talking to a real god and all the believers in other gods are not :) ) is shown by the phenomenon known as 'God hates the same people I do', which I saw with an opponent on a former board who changed his mind about Hell, and so did the god in his head.