Why All the Pageantry?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why All the Pageantry?

Post #1

Post by POI »

If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God.

Why clone himself, send that human to earth, and have this god-clone be martyred/murdered to atone for human sin (like a sheep) -- only to have this martyred/murdered clone almost immediately ascend back up to heaven -- (a place of perfect bliss anyways)? Seems like a lot of unnecessary-ness. It also does not really seem like an "ultimate sacrifice" anyhow.

For Debate:

(again) If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God. If no one 'deserves' God's true grace anyways, then just forgive all. What's with all the extra pageantry?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Re: Why All the Pageantry?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God.

Why clone himself, send that human to earth, and have this god-clone be martyred/murdered to atone for human sin (like a sheep) -- only to have this martyred/murdered clone almost immediately ascend back up to heaven -- (a place of perfect bliss anyways)? Seems like a lot of unnecessary-ness. It also does not really seem like an "ultimate sacrifice" anyhow.

For Debate:

(again) If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God. If no one 'deserves' God's true grace anyways, then just forgive all. What's with all the extra pageantry?
People had to explain their misery some way, so why not concoct a supreme being who is entertained by the drama (pain and suffering) his creatures undergo? No one ever said god had to be a nice guy. Right?
That pageantry only came later when some folk realized money could be made by selling an agreeable god rather than some disagreeable dude. Hence, the notion of forgiveness was created.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us?
By what the Bible tells, that is exactly what He did. But then people decided to kill people who bring that message.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:30 am
POI wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us?
By what the Bible tells, that is exactly what He did. But then people decided to kill people who bring that message.
But if what the Bible says makes no sense, why should anyone believe it? And from what I read, the ones doing the killing were Christians to anyone who didn't agree with their particular message.

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

By what the Bible tells, that is exactly what He did.
Negative. He had to send a clone of himself for a pseudo-sacrifice. And the ones that do not follow, through faith, remain condemned. Since God is the rule maker, he could set up any rule system he wants. Just pardon all, as he deems all humans less-than-perfect anyways. He answers to no one. And yet, God instead decided to setup this type of system. Again, why all the pageantry? Just forgive all since all fall short, according to him, anyways.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

"And I still have the same faults" (Charlie Brown after Lucy give a slide show presentation of all his faults)

Christianity does nothing other than some dubious advice of play nice (which people do or do not just as much as if Christianity had never existed) and the only way out is to sign up for a party card. All the flummery and misdirection aside, that's the only way out - join the club.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to POI in post #1]

Justice is still important.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Wootah wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:04 am [Replying to POI in post #1]

Justice is still important.
Of course, but the Morality Argument failed to be an argument for religion a long time ago. And the Op is rather raising the old argument of - why do this absurd plan unless God is working blind doing makeshift problem -solving which doesn't solve anything? And my point was that joining the Party to get the advantages is nothing to do with Justice but everything to do with religious bait and switch.

However you see it, others, including myself, may see it as another man - made religion, or rather two, with a complete changing of God's mind about who were his people (Paul makes that specific point) just at the time God - worship got sold to the gentiles and we see no reason at all to buy this story of buying off god -imposed sin - death with one sacrifice (and we still have the same sin -death), and are neither attracted by promises of heaven not frightened by threats of hell.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:29 am
By what the Bible tells, that is exactly what He did.
Negative. He had to send a clone of himself for a pseudo-sacrifice....
It seems to me that you are talking about some other God than Bible God.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:53 am
But if what the Bible says makes no sense, why should anyone believe it? ...
If something makes no sense to you, I can understand if you don't believe it. But, if you don't understand something, how could you say it is wrong?

And, those who would like to understand it, there is help offered:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask from God, who gives to all freely and with no reproach, and it will be given to Him.
James 1:5