What type of music is in the bible, difference the music and know what God said is he's music and from the world's music

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

michaelgabriel88
Apprentice

What type of music is in the bible, difference the music and know what God said is he's music and from the world's music

Post #1

Post by michaelgabriel88 »

What music is from God and world music is mistaken. What did he told use the music he wants and instruments ?

The bible says what he told us since the time of the bible. Using harps and trumpets he told Israel to use them.

How to know the violin, saxophone, and piano some are the devil things some playtunes are his.

Ask the question what he told us to play and we can use in music ?

michaelgabriel88
Apprentice

Re: What type of music is in the bible, difference the music and know what God said is he's music and from the world's m

Post #2

I know there are bible verses that say it's OK to use instruments

So any church that says it's wrong to use instruments is wrong themselves ?

michaelgabriel88
Apprentice

Re: What type of music is in the bible, difference the music and know what God said is he's music and from the world's m

Post #3

A good friend said this.

Through history music has been made for various reasons
-To motivate people to war
-As an emphasis on a country, patriotic music
- As a tool for rebellion to someone or something
-As a comfort, as in background music to help pass the day or to play at a resturaunt.
-As a way to express love or hate.
-Music specifically for children. Music they understand and relate to.
-Music for relaxation
-Music as a minstry tool
-Music as a worship medium
-Music that tells a story i.e. folk music or similar
-Music intended for evil purposes
-Music intended to uplift and edify
-Music for sexual innuendos, intended to excite or put the mind in a sexual gutter
- Music as a brainwashing tool, to try and change our minds or make bad seem good.
-Music as an emotion builder in movies

Worship can happen with or without music. There is inward, outward and upward worship music.
Outward worship music is made for an audience, presumably to edify them and encourage worship in some churches. The danger can be in placing too much focus on the music instead of God. Inward worship can be a song we sing to ourselves privately to God in worship which can also be upward worship. Both public and private worship should always focus on giving worship and praise to God, so both can be upward.
Music is a tool that needs great care in it's use if the intention is worhip. If the music is deliberately distracting, it isn't the Lord behind it, but the devil.
Like food, there are many preferences people have when it comes to music, even worship music. Some of the compromises to please everyone, or at least attempt it, in churches lead to a sort of music that doesn't really commit. To me it feels like a compromise. One reason people leave churches unfortunately.
IMHO If you're looking to make rock music, then commit to it instead of an in between iffy sounding sort of thing. Don't hold back because rock music doesn't hold back. Rock music is generally aggressive and maybe better suited to a younger audience? I was just working on a speed metal track. 172 bpm, that's fast and why they call it speed metal. Just doesn't fit for worship IMO. And I've decided I don't like speed metal, at least what I've heard. Much too primal for me.
I see the different kinds of music like the various tools in a tool chest. There is one for pretty much every application. The highest use for music is worship , if it doesn't become a distraction, since worship is all about focus on God. The best worship is the worship where I get lost in worship. The music that can lead us into worship, like a calling card. Not a routine we settle into every Sunday. There is a fine line between the real stuff and the fillers. Has to do with the Spirit's leading.
Good messages can be put into non worship music, and "worship like" music can have misleading or even bad messages in it.
I am hooked up with Spotify which has loads of different kinds of Christian music all the way from the old stuff to the most recent stuff. Almost all of it is edifying in some way. Maybe some of this is just the nostalgia in me, but when I played the hymns channel something in me went ahhhhhh. These were tunes we sang in my old church when I was 6. You can hear and understand the words and the music isn't half bad either. Who has ever faulted the song "Amazing Grace" and other similar? The record companies are in the decision making process of most current Christian music and it is often associated with a church like Bethel or Red Rocks. Not sure what their criteria is, and most likely it changes with the vision, but not everyone making these decisions is a believer. In fact the scales may even swing over to more non believers if it's a big record label who also produces other kinds of non Christian music.
Much like the falling away of many churches from our scriptural roots, Christian music is also drifting in some cases, so I think we need to be careful when selecting some of it.

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

michaelgabriel88 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 am I know there are bible verses that say it's OK to use instruments

Some branches of the Church of Christ, part of the restoration movement, argue that the church should not use musical instruments since they were not used in the New Testament church. This is a fringe belief among Christians overall.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

michaelgabriel88
Apprentice

Post #5

https://homespunhaints.com/the-devils-instrument

https://www.straight.com/movies/715931/ ... one-cursed

Two biblical passages that speak about Satan's role before his fall include Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14. The King James Version of Ezekiel 28:13 states, "The workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created." Based on this verse, some believe Satan was a music leader or was in charge of music in heaven.

Sometimes pipes can be like flute in a style and it is this that organ playing in pianos can be his art.

Always avoid the violin, I avoid the violin and put most trumpets and harps in my music.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

michaelgabriel88 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:55 am What music is from God and world music is mistaken. What did he told use the music he wants and instruments ?

The bible says what he told us since the time of the bible. Using harps and trumpets he told Israel to use them.

How to know the violin, saxophone, and piano some are the devil things some playtunes are his.

Ask the question what he told us to play and we can use in music ?
Maybe all instruments could be compared to speech. You can use it for good or for evil. This means, it can be seen as neutral on itself.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:44 pm
michaelgabriel88 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:58 am I know there are bible verses that say it's OK to use instruments

Some branches of the Church of Christ, part of the restoration movement, argue that the church should not use musical instruments since they were not used in the New Testament church. This is a fringe belief among Christians overall.
Yes I've heard of this but it seems to be based on an argument from the negative. Christians wouldn't use microwaves, drive cars or even smile if we believed unless it is explicitly mentioned in the Christian scriptures it must be prohibited. Many instruments are mention in scripture as being used in pure worship so they cannot be instrinctly bad. Although not under the Mosaic Law Christians do well to learn divine principles which includes it is good and acceptable to use musical instruments in worship.

Music Video: Always rejoice!
https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#e ... g_69_VIDEO
There is nothing in the physical creation that Satan hasn't misused in some way. If we stopped using anything Satan has misuded, we would not eat or drink, meet together, sing or dance; which would give Satan the power to deny us the gifts God gives to his children (compare James 1 :17)

A religious thought that is based on such faulty reasoning is like following a compass that is just 1 degree off course, in the beginning it seems inconsequential but the further along one travels, the further from the truth one drifts. Those that fail to see that the important thing is to examine the content of the song and the use and effect of the style and composition, and instead demonize (without scriptural basis) the instruments themselves, risk ending up a part of the very thing they seek to avoid ... false religion.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8