Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

What is Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti?

Post #1

Post by Ross »

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this has been covered before; but to me, the evidence for the existence of this creature is from what I have obtained thus far quite compelling and almost overwhelming.

Yet it does not seem to align to the Biblical account. A naked hairy version of a wild human of no less than giant proportions, or half human half ape.

What do you think?

Is it Nephilim that survived the flood, a variation of an ape, a human species that has avoided civilization and grown in all proportions to the rest of us, or a complete fake and lie, even with all of the testimony of sightings?

I have put the topic here as I want a Christian and a Biblical perspective rather than a secular one.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: What is Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti?

Post #21

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:49 pm
Data wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:32 amIf it wasn't on the ark it was destroyed.
Ross wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:13 pm What do you think the meaning of this is:
Gen 6:4
"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward"
You can harmonise and get Nephilim still alive either now or maybe only as late as the ice age if they were swimmy things during the flood. They were huge, right? Like, the size of some kinds of whales? And this is very good for being primed to go into the water and survive there.

Now this is just my head canon but hear me out. I picture angels as all being unique, each one created individually. Some might be very like one another, some might be different. So isn't a half-angel going to be vastly different, depending on the kind of angel that sired it? And if the Nephilim were not mules, that's endless possibilities. We just need one swimmy one.
I have to ask this, did you forget the wink icon or are you serious?

Gen. 64 The Giants (Nephilim) were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

I know the ladies can sometimes be short on discrimination when it comes to partners (aside online dating where even a five reckons she deserved the top 2%) but surely they'd draw the line at huge swimmy things. It would be fine for an H. P. Lovecraft tale, but not for the Bible.

p.s this is the only reference to Nephilim I can find in the bible and it is damn; thin to have spawned and entire alternative history cult. In fact human DNA is entirely primate , so far as I know, and that based on DNA back to the lob, and not an alien trace to be found. The heroes of old apart from unverifiable legends, all seem to be humans, even the ones who claimed to be gods.

cue: photoshopped fakes of excavated giant skeletons.

Ross
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:13 pm

What do you think the meaning of this is:
Is there anyone who is able to able to give an educated answer to this?

Data
Sage

Post #23

Post by Data »

Ross wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:13 pm

You didn't like my answer?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 am I know the ladies can sometimes be short on discrimination when it comes to partners (aside online dating where even a five reckons she deserved the top 2%) but surely they'd draw the line at huge swimmy things. It would be fine for an H. P. Lovecraft tale, but not for the Bible.
Why? Is a web of skin that connects the abdomen and arm that unattractive? Don't picture a whale; picture things turning into something like a whale, or maybe like a penguin, body-wise. Besides, the original humans that did it with angels, well, angels aren't always humanoid. Some of them are four-dimensional wheels with eyes. Some of them have six wings and cover their bodies so you can't see what's under there.

Also no they don't. There was a huge scandal about people doing it with dolphins.

I also don't know why in fiction, when there's one human and one non-human in a relationship, the writer almost always portrays a female human and a male alien/demon/other. If someone is caught abusing an animal, it's always a man. However. I think that's because female humans are sapiosexual. They go for the mind. And if it's sentient, they're like, okay, yeah, sure, that's on the menu. Some of them might draw the line past pointy ears, but some others might want, you know, more. (Please do not click; this is nasty and NSFW.)

Edit: I really hope I don't get banned for this. It's a debate site. I posted evidence. That evidence happens to be really disgusting.

Ross
Scholar

Post #25

Post by Ross »

Data wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:09 pm
Ross wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:13 pm

You didn't like my answer?
I appreciated your answer, but see hardly any variation to those words within translation, other than "also after those days"

Why were those words they even put there, as I would take "those days" to be the time before the flood when the earth was full of violence?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #26

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:23 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 am I know the ladies can sometimes be short on discrimination when it comes to partners (aside online dating where even a five reckons she deserved the top 2%) but surely they'd draw the line at huge swimmy things. It would be fine for an H. P. Lovecraft tale, but not for the Bible.
Why? Is a web of skin that connects the abdomen and arm that unattractive? Don't picture a whale; picture things turning into something like a whale, or maybe like a penguin, body-wise. Besides, the original humans that did it with angels, well, angels aren't always humanoid. Some of them are four-dimensional wheels with eyes. Some of them have six wings and cover their bodies so you can't see what's under there.

Also no they don't. There was a huge scandal about people doing it with dolphins.

I also don't know why in fiction, when there's one human and one non-human in a relationship, the writer almost always portrays a female human and a male alien/demon/other. If someone is caught abusing an animal, it's always a man. However. I think that's because female humans are sapiosexual. They go for the mind. And if it's sentient, they're like, okay, yeah, sure, that's on the menu. Some of them might draw the line past pointy ears, but some others might want, you know, more. (Please do not click; this is nasty and NSFW.)

Edit: I really hope I don't get banned for this. It's a debate site. I posted evidence. That evidence happens to be really disgusting.
To get 'swimmy' things, you need adaptation. That requires more than just webbed feet. It requires adaptation so the 'Nephilim' would be a different species, or sub - species. Even if these critters mated with human women, with or without consent, they wouldn't breed.

That passage seems to be to be making a link between old heroes and the sons of the sons of God, who were of greater size, at the time they bred Goliaths and afterwards. I put no more trust in that passage as an account of what happened back then than I do the Ark or the tower of Babel. Sorry Nephilim - believers.

Ross
Scholar

Post #27

Post by Ross »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:55 am
the 'Nephilim' would be a different species, or sub - species. Even if these critters mated with human women, with or without consent, they wouldn't breed.

That passage seems to be to be making a link between old heroes and the sons of the sons of God, who were of greater size,
As my education of the situation is:

Angels came to earth with human bodies, had sex with women, and the Nephilim were the children. Half angelic and half human. The angels were the sons of God, not the Nephilim. Correct me if I am wrong assuming the Hebrew text is correct.

I am not saying that Bigfoot is Nephilim either, only attempting to raise this as a topic, get some feedback, and examine it, as it certainly has been suggested in certain circles.

Ross
Scholar

Post #28

Post by Ross »

Then there is Numbers chapter 13 and verses 30 to 33:

"Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."
But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are."
And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size.
We saw the Nephilim there. We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by Purple Knight »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:55 am

To get 'swimmy' things, you need adaptation. That requires more than just webbed feet. It requires adaptation so the 'Nephilim' would be a different species, or sub - species. Even if these critters mated with human women, with or without consent, they wouldn't breed.

That passage seems to be to be making a link between old heroes and the sons of the sons of God, who were of greater size, at the time they bred Goliaths and afterwards. I put no more trust in that passage as an account of what happened back then than I do the Ark or the tower of Babel. Sorry Nephilim - believers.
I don't put any trust in it either. But the idea of giants, like the idea of dragons, is oddly ubiquitous and that gives me pause.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #30

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't doubt that just a web of skin on a human could be tolerated by a female human. But a race of Nephilim evolved (or designed) to be "Swimmy things" is a different matter.

I take your point about some who take their love of animals a bit far. However, they do not interbreed, apart from the fact that consent seems to have been irrelevant with the Nephilim.

The same thing goes with angels. Fiction often depicts love affairs with tasty opposites notwithstanding wins, fish tails or pointy ears. But the Bible passage (let's be relevant) talks about Giants breeding great men of renown, not Lovecraftian swimmy - human hybrids, apart from genetic problems.

Bottom line here O purple one, I do not see the nephilim as other than big sized humans of heavenly origin and I dismiss it as a mythical or legendary claim and a rather throwaway one, too. Believe it (and your own Cthulhian take on it) if you like, but you wear out your keyboard to no effect trying to tell me that's what the Genesis passage means. No more than those who try to sell me the old Sumerian legends as Flying saucers bringing geneticists to create the human race from ape and ET alien DNA.

As with all these things - including Creationism, Flying saucer pilots built the pyramids and religious claim, believers never admit they have no good evidence, but the debate is about whether many others believe it.