What is "Perfect"?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What is "Perfect"?

Post #1

Post by William »

Why think the eternal, uncaused cause is perfect?

Tanager: My claim is that one should think He is perfect because of the historicity of the resurrection, what Jesus’ resurrection tells us about who Jesus is and what his teachings are, and the reliability of the NT documents in giving us Jesus’ teachings which include that God is perfect.
Matthew 5:48 wrote: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

King James Version (KJV)
Q: How do we philosophically break this down in order to find coherence re this advice?

What is "perfect"?
Where is "heaven"?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: What is "Perfect"?

Post #11

Post by boatsnguitars »

William wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:42 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #9]
No better than they are capable of being, not are.
Some maybe are already.
And maybe shoes will rule the universe...
So, it's absurd to say we should be perfect like a God - we aren't capable of being like a perfect God.
Are you saying then that the Jesus character is absurd?
That's redundant. Of course the Jesus character is absurd. How is Jesus perfect like God? Can God bleed and die?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:07 pm
Some maybe are already.
So, it's absurd to say we should be perfect like a God - we aren't capable of being like a perfect God.
That's redundant. Of course the Jesus character is absurd. How is Jesus perfect like God? Can God bleed and die?
I see.

Your argument appears to be that unless you are God, you cannot be perfect "like God" - but is that what is being said in those words?

For example, if you were asked "are you perfectly you?" could you answer the question - or even give some indication as to how far along you are in relation to reaching that point?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by boatsnguitars »

William wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:14 pm
Some maybe are already.
I see.

Your argument appears to be that unless you are God, you cannot be perfect "like God" - but is that what is being said in those words?

For example, if you were asked "are you perfectly you?" could you answer the question - or even give some indication as to how far along you are in relation to reaching that point?
I accept that that can mean something. But, I can't be perfect like Jordan, or anyone else.
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #14

Post by William »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:44 pm
Some maybe are already.
I see.

I accept that that can mean something. But, I can't be perfect like Jordan, or anyone else.
But you - at least theoretically - could be a perfect "you", right?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by boatsnguitars »

William wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:55 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:44 pm
Some maybe are already.
I see.

But you - at least theoretically - could be a perfect "you", right?
Yes and No, I think it's a debate for philosophy to have, and each philosopher will take it to their grave with no answer:

Perfect: "Indeed, for a given thing, being perfect is nothing but being all that it can be, and achieving the fullness of its essence, being in act all that it can be in potentiality. So it is an ontological determination, not an axiological one. In other words, something is perfect when its reality corresponds to its concept."

Sure, there may be a theoretical "perfect me" - but I've lived a few decades and missed out on a few things that would have been needed to fulfill this perfection. For example, I have a chipped tooth.

But, one could argue that despite my scars, emotional and physical, I could still be the best person I could be - but what is that? Does that mean I work out every day and maintain a perfect fat content so I can live to 130 - only to die in a car accident next week; never having read all the Classics, or have gone to Iceland?

Perfect me would sail around the world, but if I can't or don't do that, is perfection really obtainable?

Not all things are possible. Perfection seems to be entirely elusive, since even if you became perfect one day, then what? Do you not do anything else - simply wasting any ability to grow?

In fact, doesn't that make God a rather pathetic character? He's perfect - with no room for growth. He can do all things, but created the Universe, Life, and then just sat on the sofa and wasted his talent.

I think we need to acknowledge that perfection in the philosophical description is limited and really can't capture what perfection would actually be in the real world.

Compromise seems to be the true perfect state, which seems contradictory. Or maybe not. I'll let other use their finite time on wondering about these things. Navel gazing.

I'm going to have a glass of wine, whether it's something "Perfect Me" would do or not.
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #15]
Yes and No, I think it's a debate for philosophy to have, and each philosopher will take it to their grave with no answer:
That would depend upon what their individual philosophies were preceding and up to the time of death.
Perfect: "Indeed, for a given thing, being perfect is nothing but being all that it can be, and achieving the fullness of its essence, being in act all that it can be in potentiality. So it is an ontological determination, not an axiological one. In other words, something is perfect when its reality corresponds to its concept."
Yes. This applies to all conceptions, whether real, made real or conceptionally possible (in line with what is real/reality/the universe).

Jet engines are perfect, otherwise they would not be able to do what they are designed to do.
Sure, there may be a theoretical "perfect me" - but I've lived a few decades and missed out on a few things that would have been needed to fulfill this perfection. For example, I have a chipped tooth.
This is where philosophies part company. Materialist philosophy has it that they (and everyone) is only the body-form, so one simply cannot be perfect because one has a club foot, or chipped tooth or homosexual tendencies et al...although that last is more akin to some supernaturalist philosophies, I thought to include it to underline the similarities in said philosophies.

However, I see no reason as to why a broken tooth should prevent me from at least attempting to being a perfect consciousness, since what do such things have to do with that?
But, one could argue that despite my scars, emotional and physical, I could still be the best person I could be - but what is that? Does that mean I work out every day and maintain a perfect fat content so I can live to 130 - only to die in a car accident next week; never having read all the Classics, or have gone to Iceland?
Not re the philosophy I follow. It is different for supernaturalists and materialists, I grant you that.
Perfect me would sail around the world, but if I can't or don't do that, is perfection really obtainable?
Yes, I imagine so.

Do you think that if you cannot obtain perfect experience you cannot yourself be perfect?

What if your perfect self simply accepted the limitations of personal circumstance and did not allow that to dictate the terms and conditions?
So what? You cannot experience some perfect situation which would inch you that much closer to being the perfect you, therefore you are doomed to be imperfect - at least according to the rule you follow.
Not all things are possible. Perfection seems to be entirely elusive, since even if you became perfect one day, then what? Do you not do anything else - simply wasting any ability to grow?
Perhaps therein, is the key to the puzzle.
Does The Father stop growing before The Father is perfect? Perhaps Jesus was eluding to that principle?
And if The Father is as the supernaturalists claim, perhaps their philosophy is no more useful to that end than is your own?

In fact, doesn't that make God a rather pathetic character? He's perfect - with no room for growth. He can do all things, but created the Universe, Life, and then just sat on the sofa and wasted his talent.
Even given that situation, it appears to me that the God is at least being entertained with the stories developing within the main storyline.
A bit like watching T.V., or - following my own philosophy - like being immersed in a perfect virtual reality.
I think we need to acknowledge that perfection in the philosophical description is limited and really can't capture what perfection would actually be in the real world.
Save that for the meeting of materialists, since it mostly applies to that line of thinking (philosophy) and better suits that type of personality.
Compromise seems to be the true perfect state, which seems contradictory. Or maybe not. I'll let other use their finite time on wondering about these things. Navel gazing.
I can vouch for the practices "navel-gazing" denotes and will continue using said practices for my enlightenment, all the while assuming such will come in handy once I "take my answers to the grave with me" having a personality I can present thereafter, as at least making the effort to continuing in the developing of the "perfect" me. :) aka O:)

I have "finite time" - I will use it as I see fit to do so.
Meantime, this altogether hasn't proved to hurt my overall experience as a "human" or my overall relationship with others...
I'm going to have a glass of wine, whether it's something "Perfect Me" would do or not.
Jesus liked wine too...

...How Bizarre...

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by boatsnguitars »

How do you know if you are perfecting yourself? How would you, a probably self-admitted imperfect person, with limited brain power (not omniscient) know if you are becoming more perfect or not?

How do you know if you are perfect like a jet engine? (which, I don't understand, since there are better jet engines being developed every decade or so... I imagine you mean the principle, but that means a prop engine is perfect too, and a glider, and a bicycle powered, and solar powred, etc. which is to say - everything is perfect...)

RE: God. How could he be entertained watching what would amount to re-runs since he knows everything that is going to happened? How could a vast intellect be entertained by something it knows inside and out?

Is he really like a stupid child watching the same video of ants over and over? Seems impossible to reconcile the grand idea of God as a supreme intellect - yet entertained by dumb Apes farting around. And not only farting around, but completely predictable or well known farting around.
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #18

Post by William »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #17]
How do you know if you are perfecting yourself?
For example, I recognize a behavior I exhibit - let's say - being obnoxious to others, and decide to change because I decide I would rather get on with others than not.
How would you, a probably self-admitted imperfect person, with limited brain power (not omniscient) know if you are becoming more perfect or not?
This is why I created the thread and asked the questions.

We can provide a variety of definitions as to what "perfect" might be, and what the character Jesus may have meant by the phrase.
I would rather look into the context of Jesus' teaching ( attributed to him in the Bible and other in writings ) and see if - by that - I could work out what he was meaning.
By your own question asked above, we could both agree that Jesus could not have been meaning we should develop "omniscience" and therefore, "be like" The Father...so what other options do we have, to try and understand why the particular phrase was used?

For example, Jesus attributed with saying "your Father knows what things you have need of, before you ask him" could be implying that The Father knows everything about the person and his/her needs, and thus knows us better than we know our selves and therefore, to "be like" The Father in that way, would be to "know our self as The Father knows us" which is also linked clearly with the idea of "loving our self" which in itself is necessary to genuinely do ( learn how to ) in order for us to genuinely love others "as we love our "self" and thus genuinely love The Father.
How do you know if you are perfect like a jet engine? (which, I don't understand, since there are better jet engines being developed every decade or so... I imagine you mean the principle, but that means a prop engine is perfect too, and a glider, and a bicycle powered, and solar powred, etc. which is to say - everything is perfect...)
Yes.
So we have the idea that in the moment "whatever" can be theoretically thought of as "perfect" while in the same moment, we can understand that the perfection ( of the propeller ) will be replaced by another perfect and similar thing ( the jet engine ).

Thus we can recognize in the parts, a pattern which is evidenced in the universe as a whole.
The universe was "perfect" as it was 13 billion years ago and every "age" it has been through in its ongoing development are "perfect parts" of that whole unfolding thing we refer to as "the universe".
RE: God. How could he be entertained watching what would amount to re-runs since he knows everything that is going to happened? How could a vast intellect be entertained by something it knows inside and out?
I wasn't arguing that was the case. I was simply using the analogy you did and expanding on the idea with "a perfect headset/simulation experience"

To answer your question, assuming an actual being knows everything, how could that being escape the boredom and gain entertainment, simply by "watching re-runs" - assuming also that entertainment/alleviation of ennui is necessary?

One creates an environment whereby one can then enter into it as a participant and eventually through that process, lose any prior knowledge of ever having existed let alone creating this thing to experience, prior to engaging with it.

imo - The Physical Universe - especially the human form - is a great candidate environment for such a thing to conceptionally take place. "How an omni-mind can entertain itself".

iow - "perfect" for that outcome.
Is he really like a stupid child watching the same video of ants over and over? Seems impossible to reconcile the grand idea of God as a supreme intellect - yet entertained by dumb Apes farting around. And not only farting around, but completely predictable or well known farting around.
And then there is the possibility of there being the "lost god" experiencing being an intelligent farty ape-like critter "looking" at its self from the perspective of an observer and deciding that while it is not in that perfect position of being only an observer, it can still "learn" something of itself - its truer nature - through that imaginative observer-route and potentially slowly and surely reconnect with that "lost thing" it was prior to the farty-ape experience....becoming a "less stupid" child as a result.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by boatsnguitars »

William wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:33 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #17]
How do you know if you are perfecting yourself?
For example, I recognize a behavior I exhibit - let's say - being obnoxious to others, and decide to change because I decide I would rather get on with others than not.
But I thought we established that things can be perfectly what they are - perhaps you are perfect, even if you are obnoxious?

In truth, I think "Perfection" is a useless concept, especially the more we discuss it.
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #19]
But I thought we established that things can be perfectly what they are -
Not sure anything was established. Just ideas being thrown around.
perhaps you are perfect, even if you are obnoxious?
Perhaps among other obnoxious types, yes.
In truth, I think "Perfection" is a useless concept, especially the more we discuss it.
What is "perfect/perfection"?

The question has to do with the opening post specific to understanding what Jesus may have meant.
"Q: How do we philosophically break this down in order to find coherence re this advice?"
(the advice - “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”)

At least you gave it a shot, which is more than the Christians on this board have done.