Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Cuzco Alien Mummies

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Mummies From Outer Space? Mexico’s Congress Gets a Firsthand Look. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/13/worl ... roid-share

Obviously a fraud, yet many people will believe. This is why religion exists: people with no critical thinking skills.

So, let's see what kind of skeptical questions the Christians have about this!

Christians: why is this not fraud, or why does your religion not qualify as fraud?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

POI
Prodigy

Re: Cuzco Alien Mummies

Post #2

Post by POI »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:17 pm Mummies From Outer Space? Mexico’s Congress Gets a Firsthand Look. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/13/worl ... roid-share

Obviously a fraud, yet many people will believe. This is why religion exists: people with no critical thinking skills.

Christians: why is this not fraud, or why does your religion not qualify as fraud?
Post 3168 -->viewtopic.php?t=38657&start=3160
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:17 pm ...
I think more important question is, why is that real.

And my religion, I think there are many things in it, for example the idea that people should love even their enemies. I think it is a good teachings. Those mummies are meaningless in comparison.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

POI wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:09 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:17 pm Mummies From Outer Space? Mexico’s Congress Gets a Firsthand Look. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/13/worl ... roid-share

I bet we could take all of Otseng's reasoning for the SoT and apply it to the mummies, btw.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:17 pm ...
I think more important question is, why is that real.

And my religion, I think there are many things in it, for example the idea that people should love even their enemies. I think it is a good teachings. Those mummies are meaningless in comparison.
Stop with the clumsy derail :D Aside whether Gods from outer space arguments are relevant (I think they are tangental as a sort of Faith -cult) don't say 'That subject doesn't matter; my preaching is all that matters' which is not only against the rules but is damn' insulting to the browsers as it says 'You people are so stupid, you will be fooled by this clumsy ploy'. Don't even think about trying that again. Have a nice week. O:)

As to the Cuzco mummies. The first rule is "Don't be hasty" The second rule is 'Never take what an apologist tells you on trust'. There are tests that can be done. If they are examined and DNA checked, and carbon dated, we may find they are Inca youngsters of the 12th c AD s. Three fingers? Have they been removed? Is there some explanation? Is the claim even true? We must await confirmation, or we fall into the Anthony Flew trap of swallowing the unvalidated claim too soon. Which is what the Believers want us to do.

It only remains to say that skepticism of any 'supernatural' claims is a rational precaution. It is not bias of the skeptic. Just as in claiming a virgin birth, walking on water or resurrection, extraordinary claims require good validation. I anticipate - indeed, expect - further checking of these claims, as rationality requires it. Aside that there have been so many errors or false claims in the past.

e.g Platinum working. "Incas had to have advanced technology to work platinum". No. They didn't melt platinum. They used platinum grains with a matrix they could work. Working Diorite at Tiahuanaco. No. Those monuments are sandstone which is a lot softer than granite. And even the early dynastic Egyptians could make stone bowls before they had iron tools. We have to be cautious of 'Must be space aliens' calls before checking the claim out. If they turn out to be naturally three fingered with ET DNA I shall be fascinated, O:) but I urge not being rushed into 'I believe!' just on an unverified claim. Not for Christianity, Pyramids in Mexcoco or Space alien technology claims, and never mind cries of skeptical bias and closed -minded skepticism from the Cult -faithful.

POI
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by POI »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:34 am

I bet we could take all of Otseng's reasoning for the SoT and apply it to the mummies, btw.
Yep. That was basically the point :approve:
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:25 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:34 am

Yep. That was basically the point :approve:
Yes. The relevance of Gods from outer space, or even UFOlogy, is the method of reasoning, kind of evidence presented, reliance on anecdotes and evidence that fits (with a bit of filing) the narrative, not a narrative that arises from the evidence.

This stuff (I must have a look later when I have time) may be misinterpreted or total fake. Or indeed real. But already the circumstances look shady. No archaeology, just a private person comes up with these things and immediately goes public.

I still think the TS is interesting and has a lot of knotty questions. There is far too much rejection of problems and explanations that aren't wanted for me to participate, but I take it more seriously than Inc ETs for instance. :)