Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

The Christian God

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate

1) Is the claim for the Christian God demonstratable? If so, how?
2) Is the claim for the Christian God falsifiable? If so, how?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: The Christian God

Post #31

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:31 am
POI wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:15 am
1213 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:11 am
POI wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:12 am
1213 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:16 am Luckily Quran says that people should believe Jesus, so I should be fine. :D
And if the Quran instead says that people should NOT believe in Jesus, then what?
I cross the bridge when I come to it.
I'll answer for you. You would not follow it. Which means what the Quran actually says is irrelevant.
If Quran would say something that is in contradiction with the Bible, I would rather believe Bible
I rest my case. Please read what I wrote in red.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:00 pm ...The Quran isa problem for Christianity ...
Sorry, I don't see any reason to think Quran is a problem. It tells people should believe Jesus, so for me it is fine. It seems to me that it is more a problem for atheists, because it kind of confirms Jesus.

Savant

Post #33

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:52 pm
1213 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:16 am Luckily Quran says that people should believe Jesus, so I should be fine. :D
And if the Quran instead says that people should NOT believe in Jesus, then what?
I'll answer for you. You would not follow it. Which means what the Quran actually says is irrelevant.
If Quran would say something that is in contradiction with the Bible, I would rather believe Bible
It doesn't mean it is irrelevant what it says, because I think it is not reasonable to reject something without any idea of what it says.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:57 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:00 pm ...The Quran isa problem for Christianity ...
Sorry, I don't see any reason to think Quran is a problem. It tells people should believe Jesus, so for me it is fine. It seems to me that it is more a problem for atheists, because it kind of confirms Jesus.
Again, odd reasoning from theists. It doesn't 'confirm' Jesus, it simply refers to Jesus as important to the religion. With your logic, Scientology confirms Xenu. Islam confirms Mohammad was the last prophet.
It's absurd that you need to play these mental gymnastics to support your faith.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #35

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:57 am
It kinda doesn't. He is NOT what the Christians claim. Now, your apologetic might fool some people who don't bother to look further, but those who check to see what the Muslims actually believe about Jesus will say "Hey, this dude tried to fool us" and like me, they may not care for people who try to bamboozle them.

That you stick fingers in ears and dismiss this as a problem for atheists, not for you, It isn't problem for atheists at all. The Quran doe NOT hold up Jesus as what the Christians believe. and we can show that to anyone willing to look. It is a problem for you whether or not you recognize it.

Muslims do not worship Jesus, who is known as Isa in Arabic, nor do they consider him divine, but they do believe that he was a prophet or messenger of God and he is called the Messiah in the Quran.
(Wiki) The whole is worth reading, particularly how they openly borrowed from pre Islamic stories, like the one about Jesus making birds out of clay.

POI
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:58 am
POI wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:52 pm
It doesn't mean it is irrelevant what it says, because I think it is not reasonable to reject something without any idea of what it says.
If it does not agree with the Bible, you reject it. This makes what the Quran says, irrelevant.

Savant

Post #37

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:37 am ...The Quran doe NOT hold up Jesus as what the Christians belie...
For me crucial thing is, what is actually said in the books, not what beliefs some may have. It is possible that people have non-Biblical beliefs and if they are in contradiction with the Bible, I think they are wrong.

By what I know, Quran doesn't say about Jesus things that are in contradiction with the Bible. But, if someone knows a real contradiction between them, I would like to see it.

Savant

Post #38

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:08 pm If it does not agree with the Bible, you reject it. This makes what the Quran says, irrelevant.
If it would be irrelevant, how could I know is it in contradiction with the Bible?

POI
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:34 am
POI wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:08 pm If it does not agree with the Bible, you reject it. This makes what the Quran says, irrelevant.
If it would be irrelevant, how could I know is it in contradiction with the Bible?
Because you only adhere to what it says if it agrees with the Bible. Hence, just read the Bible.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #40

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:33 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:37 am ...The Quran doe NOT hold up Jesus as what the Christians belie...
For me crucial thing is, what is actually said in the books, not what beliefs some may have. It is possible that people have non-Biblical beliefs and if they are in contradiction with the Bible, I think they are wrong.

By what I know, Quran doesn't say about Jesus things that are in contradiction with the Bible. But, if someone knows a real contradiction between them, I would like to see it.
You could look it up yourself - as i did, rather than make claims that are not valid. You clearly don't know. True, some Christian apologists cherry pick the bits of the Quran that agree with Christianity and ignore those bits that disagree. Like Jesus (Isa) was a prophet of God (Allah) not a son of God or divine. They also deny that he died on the cross - that was someone else. But no doubt you will do as the Christian apologists do - claim the Quran confirms what the Bible says (in fact it merely borrows and adapts it to suit its'own beliefs) and dismiss anything that differs as wrong.

Surah An-Nisa 9. …and for boasting, “We killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of Allah.” But they neither killed nor crucified him—it was only made to appear so. Even those who argue for this crucifixion are in doubt. They have no knowledge whatsoever—only making assumptions. They certainly did not kill him. [Surah An-Nisa; 4:157]

7. Indeed, the example of Jesus in the sight of Allah is like that of Adam. He created him from dust, then said to him, “Be!” And he was! [Surah Ali-Imran; 3:59]