William
Savant

The Usefulness of Occam's Razor

Post #1

Post by William »

Re:
Matthew 22:40
“On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
Well then stick to those two, is my suggestion.
That way the secular world will know your love and understanding whilst being freed from your attempts to control any others.
Is that fair?
It appears to me that simplification is the key. The saying is related the principle of Occam's Razor.
Essentially, when faced with competing explanations for the same phenomenon, the simplest is likely the correct one.(SOURCE)
Occam's Razor hardly applies since we cannot be sure what the 'Facts' are, never mind the 'Simplest explanation'.(SOURCE)
Q: Does Occam's Razor only apply to facts or can it be applied to any philosophical hypothesis?

William
Savant

Re: The Usefulness of Occam's Razor

Post #11

Post by William »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:10 am
William wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:06 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:55 am
William wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:18 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #6]
OK. You are welcome to do what you want. Cross busy streets with your eyes closed, if you feel it's too dogmatic to look both ways.
First you argue that one shouldn't be dogmatic when applying Occam's Razor and only apply it "casually" in some cases, then you swing with the above?

Okay. I will take that swing as you're agreeing with the logic I presented, even that you can't/won't come out and just say so.

O:)
I never said we ought to apply OR dogmatically. I think you are reaching. I don't know why, and I don't know why it's important to you for someone to come up with a final statement on how OR ought to be applied.
Q: Does Occam's Razor only apply to facts or can it be applied to any philosophical hypothesis?
Dogmatically or casually?
That would depend on the philosophy. If the philosophy is closed, then OR can be used dogmatically and if the philosophy is open, then OR can be used casually.

Either way, the answer to the OP Question would be that OR can be applied to any philosophical hypothesis.