Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Size of a Religion - or Cult

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

I have to say, this was the most remarkable, and unintentionally hillarious posts I have read in a long time.
anon2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:54 am
anon1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm Many religions and denominations take pride, even boast of how large their followers are in numbers and the rate at which they are growing. But the thread of truth that runs throughout the whole of the scriptures is that God has always worked through the minority and never through the majority. This teaches us that when people look at their large numbers and equate that with their reasoning of God working through them, well the Bible teaches quite the opposite.

There are numerous accounts in the Bible which teach this truth, but my favorite is regarding the 400 prophets of Israel who were called to inquire of God whether king Ahab should go into battle and obtain victory or not. And since these 400 prophets were prophets of Israel, and Israel was recognized as the people of God, then surely these 400 prophets were true prophets of God, right? Especially since they all came to the same conclusion and spoke with one voice unto the king saying that God would surely give this king victory. Yet one one man is called to see what God had to say and he told the king that the king would die in battle and that these 400 prophets were false prophets.

But what's more, is that these 400 prophets truly believed that they were true children of God and that the one lone prophet wasn't. This is a tremendous warning to those who find comfort and assurance in the size of their religious group who claim the name of God. Anyone can read this account in 1 Kings 22.

What do you think about God always working through the minority? What do you think about those groups who firmly believe they are the people of God but are in fact not?
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually agree with what you’ve written. 😁

Imho, many denominations are in for a rude awakening.
Obviously, this is what you'd say if you believe in a small sect or cult! What a way to justify your belief - that only rare beliefs are true! It's downright, abjectly hillarious! This is "Motivated reasoning" at it's finest.

It's why I think religion damages the brain. Some people actually think this is a justification of why their beliefs may be true! It's patently absurd!

These people vote, possibly raise and teach our children, etc.

No doubt this was preceded by someone from a mega church, or the RCC saying that their sect was more popular - so, instead of simply agreeing, they've decided to use it as an Apologetic.

Isn't this a perfect example of Apologetics? The motivation, the bad logic, etc? To me it is.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Size of a Religion - or Cult

Post #71

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:55 am
1213 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:06 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:10 pm ...
You don't think God commands killing? Why not? Did you ask him?
I have no reason to think God commands killing at the moment, nor I have any reason to ask that.
You don't want to know if he commanded Hamas to kill all those people? That's not a concern of yours? Do you not care about your fellow human beings on this planet?
I htink you are actively avoiding the hard questions.
I know Bible God didn't command Hamas to kill anyone.
Did you confirm this with God? How do you know? Are you spokesperson for God? What else has God done or not done? Tell us! You seem to be the only person willing to speak on God's behalf! Maybe he sent you as his messenger, since he's too shy to come himself...
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #72

Post by TRANSPONDER »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:33 am
1213 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:55 am
1213 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:06 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:10 pm ...
You don't think God commands killing? Why not? Did you ask him?
I have no reason to think God commands killing at the moment, nor I have any reason to ask that.
You don't want to know if he commanded Hamas to kill all those people? That's not a concern of yours? Do you not care about your fellow human beings on this planet?
I htink you are actively avoiding the hard questions.
I know Bible God didn't command Hamas to kill anyone.
Did you confirm this with God? How do you know? Are you spokesperson for God? What else has God done or not done? Tell us! You seem to be the only person willing to speak on God's behalf! Maybe he sent you as his messenger, since he's too shy to come himself...
Let me guess; there is no need to commune with God.One just credits anything apparently Good to God, and the bad can be blamed on men.It has be the Go-to Get out apologetic from way back.

brunumb
Savant

Post #73

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:05 am
brunumb wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:33 am
1213 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:04 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:16 pm ...If it is a command from God is it lawful and therefore not murder? Yes or No?
It depends on what the law says and what is the reason why God commands it and also about is the accusation also correct.
We are talking about GOD here. No depends. No need to know the reason. GOD COMMANDS IT. So, is it therefore lawful and therefore not murder? Please stop dodging.
First you ask is it lawful and then you say no need to know the reasons. How could one know is it lawful without knowing about law and the reasons?
I am asking if you consider a command from God, whatever it might be, lawful.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #74

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 am I know Bible God didn't command Hamas to kill anyone.
:? How do you know that?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by boatsnguitars »

brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:05 am
1213 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 am I know Bible God didn't command Hamas to kill anyone.
I wonder. If he found out God did command it, would he say, "God can't do that on my watch! I quit!" or would he defend it: "If my God did it, then it's good."
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Post #76

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:33 am Did you confirm this with God? How do you know? ...
Because He has said "don't murder".

Savant

Post #77

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:04 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:16 pm ...If it is a command from God is it lawful and therefore not murder? Yes or No?
It depends on what the law says and what is the reason why God commands it and also about is the accusation also correct.
We are talking about GOD here. No depends. No need to know the reason. GOD COMMANDS IT. So, is it therefore lawful and therefore not murder? Please stop dodging.
First you ask is it lawful and then you say no need to know the reasons. How could one know is it lawful without knowing about law and the reasons?
I don't think every commandment can be lawful. For example, if law says "don't murder", then it is not lawful to murder, even if someone would say "do murder".

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #78

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:26 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:04 am
I don't think every commandment can be lawful. For example, if law says "don't murder", then it is not lawful to murder, even if someone would say "do murder".
Then if God says 'kill them all. It isn't murder as they deserved it" do you do it? Or do you employ human judgement and say "That couldn't really have been God saying that". If not you, what of others doing it? Let me guess, if it can't be justified somehow - that isn't God, that is just men. Just the method used to excuse the god of the Bible who says 'don't murder' and then murders, or orders murder.

Never mind.I know how Biblefaith works 'It's all true, so there is some reason, even if I can't come up with one'. That's how it works,isn't it?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #79

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:26 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:33 am Did you confirm this with God? How do you know? ...
Because He has said "don't murder".
If God commanded it, it wouldn't be murder. Murder is what Governments establish. For example, it is legal to kill a gay person in Iran, but in America it would be murder. In some countries, it is legal to kill your wife or daughter for dishonor. In other countries, that would be murder.

So, how do we know it was murder? Didn't God command Moses to kill?
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #80

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I would bet that our pal 1213 will be thinking 'These rhetoricians are twisting it all up so it sounds bad'. But in fact we are straightening out Bible bad that the Bible apologists are twisting to try to make the bad look good, or at least excuse it or blame it on someone else.

Some give up on OT god and say that Jesus changed everything. That's always a 2nd ditch defence for the OT God -apologist who can no longer stick with the denial. We shall see.