What is the name above all names?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Philippians 2:9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Re: What is the name above all names?

Post #181

Post by 1213 »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:04 am Dear 1213,

You bring out a good point regarding God the Father.

Though they both may possess all knowledge...
Thank you, but i still have to point out, Jesus doesn't have the same knowledge according to the Bible, because:

But no one knows of that day and hour, not even the angels of heaven, but my Father only. "As the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and they didn't know until the flood came, and took them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Matt. 24:36-39

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #182

Post by LittleNipper »

1213 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 am

Though they both may possess all knowledge...
Thank you, but i still have to point out, Jesus doesn't have the same knowledge according to the Bible, because:

But no one knows of that day and hour, not even the angels of heaven, but my Father only. "As the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and they didn't know until the flood came, and took them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Matt. 24:36-39
I agree with most commentators that this passage is saying that in HIS incarnation as the SON of MAN it was not given to HIM (or revealed to Him) the time of HIS return. I am sure that CHRIST today knows the day and the hour of HIS return. Even on this last day before HIS arrest, the SON did not know the precise day and hour HE would return to earth for HIS second coming. During CHRIST's incarnation, the FATHER alone exercised unrestricted divine omniscience

onewithhim
Savant

Post #183

Post by onewithhim »

Mae von H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:29 am
onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:54 pm

Though they both may possess all knowledge and power as separate members of the godhead we should also understand that they constitute the absolute epitome of a perfectness of unity.

Yes, Christ will always be subject in perfect harmony and oneness. yes he will always have a perfect love, respect and honor to God his Father.

Best regards,
RW
If Christ is subordinate to the Father, than he is not God. You posted yourself above that "God his Father" was a separate entity and it is the Father that is God, alone. With Jesus' own words we can see that the Father alone is God.

He said to his Father: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3)
What kind of weird “translation” is that? Who “takes in knowledge” pray tell?

Jesus spoke of knowing God, a real relationship which means understanding not some kind of “taking in knowledge.” I mean, how would you feel about a close friend speaking of your relationship as they “taking in knowledge” of you.
Do you think everyone already has knowledge of God? Isn't that why we as Christians witness to people? Do you witness to people about God and Christ? If you do, then why be irritated by the words "take in knowledge" of God, or, "get to know" God? The King James Version says: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God..." What does it mean "to know"? Wouldn't that be taking in knowledge, so you know what you are doing in regard to worshiping the true God?

Mae von H
Sage

Post #184

Post by Mae von H »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:11 pm
Mae von H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:29 am
onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:54 pm

Though they both may possess all knowledge and power as separate members of the godhead we should also understand that they constitute the absolute epitome of a perfectness of unity.

Yes, Christ will always be subject in perfect harmony and oneness. yes he will always have a perfect love, respect and honor to God his Father.

Best regards,
RW
If Christ is subordinate to the Father, than he is not God. You posted yourself above that "God his Father" was a separate entity and it is the Father that is God, alone. With Jesus' own words we can see that the Father alone is God.

He said to his Father: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3)
What kind of weird “translation” is that? Who “takes in knowledge” pray tell?

Jesus spoke of knowing God, a real relationship which means understanding not some kind of “taking in knowledge.” I mean, how would you feel about a close friend speaking of your relationship as they “taking in knowledge” of you.
Do you think everyone already has knowledge of God?
Read the writings and take in knowledge of what they think…absolutely not…far from it!!

Isn't that why we as Christians witness to people? Do you witness to people about God and Christ? If you do, then why be irritated by the words "take in knowledge" of God, or, "get to know" God?
Because no one “takes in knowledge” about another person.
The King James Version says: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God..." What does it mean "to know"? Wouldn't that be taking in knowledge, so you know what you are doing in regard to worshiping the true God?
No. Do you say people “take in knowledge” about you?

People take in a movie. People learn. People don’t take in knowledge about you, do they?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #185

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Mae von H in post #184]
Yes, people who don't know me yet will take in knowledge of me. They will get to know me by finding out things about me---taking in knowledge. Included in that would be associating with me so they get to know me---taking in more knowledge.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #186

Post by Mae von H »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:57 pm [Replying to Mae von H in post #184]
Yes, people who don't know me yet will take in knowledge of me. They will get to know me by finding out things about me---taking in knowledge. Included in that would be associating with me so they get to know me---taking in more knowledge.
I notice you rapidly switched to the warmer more honoring term “get to know you by finding out things about you” and “associating with you” when referring to yourself. Telling.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #187

Post by onewithhim »

Mae von H wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:35 am
I notice you rapidly switched to the warmer more honoring term “get to know you by finding out things about you” and “associating with you” when referring to yourself. Telling.
"Telling" of what? Can you stop dropping little innuendos to insult me and other JWs, and come straight out to say what it is you are actually thinking about? And I don't know what you mean by me "rapidly switching" to a "warmer" term.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #188

Post by Mae von H »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:30 pm
"Telling" of what? Can you stop dropping little innuendos to insult me and other JWs, and come straight out to say what it is you are actually thinking about? And I don't know what you mean by me "rapidly switching" to a "warmer" term.
If you met someone and chatted with them and they, finding you interesting, wanted more said, “You’re interesting. I’d like to take in knowledge of you,.” you’d realized they don’t want a friendship. They don’t care about you. They don’t want relationship. You’re like a movie they take in, impersonal and for their enrichment. Just so, People who are adherents to your group have no relationship with God. They don’t come to understand Him, they just hope to “take in knowledge,” a cold and remote view of someone.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #189

Post by onewithhim »

Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 am
If you met someone and chatted with them and they, finding you interesting, wanted more said, “You’re interesting. I’d like to take in knowledge of you,.” you’d realized they don’t want a friendship. They don’t care about you. They don’t want relationship. You’re like a movie they take in, impersonal and for their enrichment. Just so, People who are adherents to your group have no relationship with God. They don’t come to understand Him, they just hope to “take in knowledge,” a cold and remote view of someone.
I don't agree. No one is going to SAY "I want to take in knowledge of you." They will just learn about you as time goes on. JWs do have a fine relationship with God, and better than I ever had with other religions. And we continue to LEARN about Him, as Jesus said we should. (John 17:3)

Mae von H
Sage

Post #190

Post by Mae von H »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:15 am
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 am
I don't agree. No one is going to SAY "I want to take in knowledge of you." They will just learn about you as time goes on. JWs do have a fine relationship with God, and better than I ever had with other religions. And we continue to LEARN about Him, as Jesus said we should. (John 17:3)
Yet JWs say that they "take in knowledge of Him," the very thing you say no one will say. That is, there is no personal relationship with God, they just "take in knowledge." But this is a he said, she said exchange. I have to meet a JW who spoke of God in such a way as to demonstrate a personal intimate relationship with the living God. I even doubt they "take in knowledge" as claimed. But that is just my experience.