Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #1

Post by POI »

We have countless claims, from Christians, to God/Jesus answering prayers for healing to human affliction(s). And by 'answered' prayer, I mean God/Jesus states -- (yes, I will grant you this prayer request to remove the human affliction).

For Debate:

1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests? If not, why?
2. If so, why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

bjs1
Sage

Re: Countless Claims to "Answered" Prayer(s)

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

POI wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:41 am 1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests? If not, why?
Yes, some.
POI wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:41 am 2. If so, why does God/Jesus perpetually skip the following afflictions (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on)?
I have known at least one person who claimed that God healed him from diabetes and one person who claimed to be healed from Parkinson’s disease. I knew the guy who had Parkinson’s disease both while he was suffering from the disease and after he claimed to be healed. He went from visibly suffering from the disease to having every appearance of health. I am very cautious about calling something a miracle, but I currently do not have a better explanation for what happened.

If you are asking why God doesn’t heal everyone who suffers and asks for healing, then I do not have an answer. Within the Christian understanding of who God is, He rarely answer questions that begin with “Why…” It is almost as if the Creator of heaven and earth does not feel the need to explain Himself to us.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:33 pm I have known at least one person who claimed that God healed him from diabetes and one person who claimed to be healed from Parkinson’s disease. I knew the guy who had Parkinson’s disease both while he was suffering from the disease and after he claimed to be healed. He went from visibly suffering from the disease to having every appearance of health. I am very cautious about calling something a miracle, but I currently do not have a better explanation for what happened.
Diabetes 1 or diabetes 2? Further, are these cures documented? I think the medical community would want/need to know about these amazing findings.
bjs1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:33 pm If you are asking why God doesn’t heal everyone who suffers and asks for healing, then I do not have an answer.
I am asking why God perpetually skips conditions which are deemed incurable by 'medicine', human intenvetion, and/or natural processes? Seems pretty convenient.
bjs1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:33 pm Within the Christian understanding of who God is, He rarely answer questions that begin with “Why…” It is almost as if the Creator of heaven and earth does not feel the need to explain Himself to us.
Or maybe the Christian God does not exist?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:33 pm If you are asking why God doesn’t heal everyone who suffers and asks for healing, then I do not have an answer. Within the Christian understanding of who God is, He rarely answer questions that begin with “Why…” It is almost as if the Creator of heaven and earth does not feel the need to explain Himself to us.
That's fine but it ought to make one question why we need to interact with and be loyal to, such a being. No one is obligated to explain themselves and that doesn't mean we can assume malice. But on the other end of things, we can't assume benevolence either. The Devil could make an identical claim: That he knows best and we just have to trust him.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by boatsnguitars »

We all know prayer doesn't work. If it did, we wouldn't have hospitals.

But it's always revealing when Christians speak about certain events, such as environmental disasters. They always blame their favorite whipping boy: "tornado was 'cause of the gays!" "Flood was because of the Trans!" Why isn't it against false prophets? Bigots? Why is it always a sign for their view? Like prayer, they always read the signs favorably to them - as if they are the righteous ones.

It's a dangerous mentality. It's Virtue Signaling in the worst way. (Religion is built on Virtue Signaling) When you believe it's "Them" that are being punished by your Omnipotent creator, you tend to get a big head about your place in the world. It's egotistical, and it feeds into the idea that Religionists don't need to be smart or educated. They only need Faith, and they think God will sort it all out.

That's why Jesus was so shocked to be abandoned at the cross when we was executed. He thought he had a hotline to the Boss, but he realized the truth too late: there is no God.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I am sure that prayer doesn't work.Christians also know this and i found it out long ago when I devised the 'prayer test'. Rather than take it they made excuses why they shouldn't. They know it doesn't work, too. What about examples where it does seem to work? Unexplained and coincidence. I know because there has been a healing of a problem naturally and a lucky financial event that enabled me to buy my first house. If I'd been praying, I'd probably swear these were answered prayers, but as I wasn't, they weren't. Prayer doesn't work and, deep down, the believers know it doesn't.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:41 am ....
1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests?...
I believe God answers prayers as told in the Bible.

POI
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:21 am
POI wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:41 am ....
1. Does God "answer" any of these prayer requests?...
I believe God answers prayers as told in the Bible.
I you believe so, why does God perpetually skip prayer requests to remove myotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on?

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am ...
I you believe so, why does God perpetually skip prayer requests to remove myotrophic lateral sclerosis, cerebral palsy, dementia, diabetes mellites 1, amputation, muscular dystrophy, hunington's disease, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, paget's disease, motor neuron disease, and so on?
I don't know what God has really skipped and I don't believe you really know it, but Bible gives certain conditions for prayers. For example these may be one reason why people don't always get what they want.

Jehovah is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous.
Pro. 15:29

You desire greatly and do not have. You murder, and are jealous, and are not able to obtain. You fight and you war, and you do not have, because you do not ask God . You ask, and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, in order that you may spend on your lusts.
James 4:2-3

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:27 am
POI wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am ...
I don't know what God has really skipped and I don't believe you really know it, but Bible gives certain conditions for prayers. For example these may be one reason why people don't always get what they want.

Jehovah is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous.
Pro. 15:29

You desire greatly and do not have. You murder, and are jealous, and are not able to obtain. You fight and you war, and you do not have, because you do not ask God . You ask, and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, in order that you may spend on your lusts.
James 4:2-3
Thank you. Aside that a very simple test will show that the NT guarantee to grant what is asked(prayed) for in Faith is not worth the paper it is printed on, and you know it, because you start of the excuses for prayer NOT being answered really without thinking about it, so used is Bible apologetics to brushing off clear demonstrations that prayer does not work.

On the other hand, I've had serious prayers (or wishes) answered, at least twice, except that I have never prayed, so should not have been granted what I got? Isn't it blindingly obvious that the Believers are fiddling the evidence to suit what they want to believe? It is to me, and I suggest, is to anyone whose mind is not tight closed to doubt and question.