Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

A JW on this forum once told me that both Jesus and God are coming, yet I am unable to find a Scripture that says the Father is coming. I find only Jesus coming.

Revelation 1:7

7Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Savant

Re: Who is Coming, Jesus or the Father?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:58 pm ...
Are the disciples also God or temples of God?
That is what the Bible says:

Do you not know that you are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1 Cor. 3:16

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pm ...
So are you saying you believe as I do, that Jesus is YHWH? ...
I believe what is said in the Bible. And by what I know, Bible doesn't say Jesus is YHWH.
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pm...Is God, the Father and Jesus coming as one being or two?
Because Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God and that God dwells in Jesus, I believe God is coming at the same time, in Jesus.
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pmAlso, do you know of any verse that states the Father is coming?
I think God is already with those who are righteous and disciples of Jesus. :)
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pmThere are other verses that are similar. Jesus tells Thomas, “He who are seen Me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)

Does this mean Jesus was the Father?
Bible tells Jesus is the image of God. I think, if you have seen an image of something, you have seen that something.

...who is the image of the invisible God, the First-born of all creation...
Col. 1:15

And, I don't think Jesus is the Father, for example because:

For God is one, also there is one Mediator of God and of men, the Man Christ Jesus,
1 Tim. 2:5

onewithhim
Savant

Post #13

Post by onewithhim »

1213 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:05 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:58 pm ...
Are the disciples also God or temples of God?
That is what the Bible says:

Do you not know that you are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1 Cor. 3:16
I know what the Bible says, and it refers to Jesus as the ultimate "temple" of God. His sacrifice did away with the physical temple and he became to be in its place as the greatest sacrifice instead of sheep and goats. The disciples aren't considered as such, but their lives will show that they are following Jesus' teachings and will stand beside him.

I should have said: Are the disciples also God?" That was in relation to John 17:20-23. Your comment on those verses would be welcome.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #14

Post by MissKate13 »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:50 am
MissKate13 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:24 am [Replying to onewithhim in post #7]

My post was directed to 1213. I am already aware of your views, so I wont be posting any responses tou you.
So you won't even comment on my posts? I thought this was a debate forum. Yet you won't have an interchange with me?
No because neither of us will ever change our minds about who Jesus is. Sometimes it’s best to move on.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #15

Post by MissKate13 »

1213 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:06 am
I believe what is said in the Bible. And by what I know, Bible doesn't say Jesus is YHWH.
Thanks for responding!

Jesus repeatedly refers to Himself as I AM, YHWH’s personal name. Therefore, He is YHWH.
Because Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God and that God dwells in Jesus, I believe God is coming at the same time, in Jesus.
Thanks for answering my question. I agree. YHWH dwells in Jesus. They are the ONE true God.
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:45 pmThere are other verses that are similar. Jesus tells Thomas, “He who are seen Me has seen the Father.” (John 14:9)
No, they are separate personalities, but together they are YHWH, the ONE true God, just as the Spirit of God is YHWH.
Bible tells Jesus is the image of God. I think, if you have seen an image of something, you have seen that something.

For God is one, also there is one Mediator of God and of men, the Man Christ Jesus,
I agree with your comment about Jesus being the image of the invisible God.

Hebrews 1:3 says this about Jesus:
“who, being the radiance of His glory and the exact expression of His substance, and upholding all things by the power of His word, through having made the purification of sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”

The only difference I see between Jesus and God, the Father is that Jesus was a man while on earth, but He was still God by nature. He never gave that part of Himself up. He truly was Emmanuel, God with us. How else could He have walked on water, changed water into wine, heal the blind, raise the dead, and most importantly forgive sins. Only God could do those things.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #16

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:19 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:06 am
Thanks for responding!

Jesus repeatedly refers to Himself as I AM, YHWH’s personal name. Therefore, He is YHWH.
Thanks for answering my question. I agree. YHWH dwells in Jesus. They are the ONE true God.
No, they are separate personalities, but together they are YHWH, the ONE true God, just as the Spirit of God is YHWH.

I agree with your comment about Jesus being the image of the invisible God.

Hebrews 1:3 says this about Jesus:
“who, being the radiance of His glory and the exact expression of His substance, and upholding all things by the power of His word, through having made the purification of sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”

The only difference I see between Jesus and God, the Father is that Jesus was a man while on earth, but He was still God by nature. He never gave that part of Himself up. He truly was Emmanuel, God with us. How else could He have walked on water, changed water into wine, heal the blind, raise the dead, and most importantly forgive sins. Only God could do those things.
Or, a Being that God has given power to could do those things. Jesus said time and again that the Father SENT him, and he always does things to please the Father. God GAVE him power to do those things that you mentioned.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #17

Post by onewithhim »

To address the OP, it is said in the Scripture that Jehovah and Jesus are both coming. The expression, "Look! I am coming quickly," in Verse 22:12 of Revelation refers to God Himself and not to Jesus. God speaks of himself as "coming" to execute judgment. ("For behold, Jehovah is about to come out from His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." Isaiah 26:21) Malachi 3:1-6 speaks of a joint coming for judgment on the part of Jehovah AND his "messenger of the covenant."

Malachi 3:1-6 is Jehovah speaking, once again, and He distinguishes between Himself and "the messenger of the covenant":

(1) "'Look! I am sending my messenger [John the Baptist], and he must clear the way before me. And suddenly there will come to his temple the true Lord, whom you people are seeking, and the messenger of the covenant [Jesus] in whom you are delighting. Look! He will certainly come,' Jehovah of armies has said."
(2) "' But who will be putting up with the day of his coming, and who will be the one standing when he appears? For he will be like the fire of a refiner and like the lye of laundrymen."
(3) "'And he must sit as a refiner and cleanser of silver and must clean the sons of Levi [see Matt.21:12,13 and John 2:14-17]; and he must clarify them like gold and like silver, and they will certainly become to Jehovah people presenting a gift offering in righteousness."
(4) "'And the gift offering of Judah and of Jerusalem will actually be gratifying to Jehovah, as in the days of long ago and as in the years of antiquity."
(5) "'And I [Jehovah] will come near to you people for the judgment, and I will become a speedy witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against those swearing falsely, and against those acting fraudulently with the wages of a wage worker, with the widow and with the fatherless boy, and those turning away the alien resident, while they have not feared me,' Jehovah of armies has said."
(6) "'For I am Jehovah; I have not changed....'"

So, isn't it clear that Jehovah is speaking these words? His name appears in the original language in verses 1,3,4 5 and 6. He speaks of sending the true Lord, Jesus Christ---the "messenger of the covenant." Jehovah says "He will certainly come." Then in verse 5 he says that "will come near to you people for the judgment." We can see, can we not, that He is saying that BOTH He, Jehovah, AND the "messenger of the covenant" are "coming."

So there you have Scriptures that mention Jehovah, the Father of Jesus, as "coming" as well as Jesus.

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:18 am I should have said: Are the disciples also God?" That was in relation to John 17:20-23. Your comment on those verses would be welcome.
Ok, I don't think disciples are God. I believe there is only one true God, who is greater than even Jesus, as Jesus says so himself in Bible.