Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Jesus is God - who is coming?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

John 5:22

International Standard Version

22 The Father judges no one, but has given all authority to judge to the Son, 23 so that everyone may honor the Son as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

From <https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ISV>
Matthew 16:27

27 The Son of Man is going to come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay everyone according to what he has done.

Isaiah 40:10

10 Look! The Lord God comes with strength,
and his arm[a] rules for him.
Look! His reward is with him,
and his payment accompanies him.

So the Father is not coming to judge.
Jesus is coming and YHWH is coming with their reward.

Is this proof Jesus is YHWH?

This argument was taken from this youtube video:
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Re: Jesus is God - who is coming?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 pm ... and his arm[a] rules for him....
Is Jesus God's arm?

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:10 am
Is Jesus God's arm?
I have no idea what you mean or how that refutes anything.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:32 am
Is Jesus God's arm?
The scripture you gave speaks about God's arm ruling. I am not sure yet, but, it may be that Jesus is God's arm. And that arm appears also many times in the OT. But, I would like to know what do you think God's arm means?

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:09 am
Is Jesus God's arm?
The scripture you gave speaks about God's arm ruling. I am not sure yet, but, it may be that Jesus is God's arm. And that arm appears also many times in the OT. But, I would like to know what do you think God's arm means?
Arm as used here is simply a synonym for strength. Don't forget we are reading poetry here. The second phrase, "his arm[a] rules for him" is simply repetition of the concept from the opening phrase, "The Lord God comes with strength."

This pattern is repeated in the next two phrases: "His reward is with him" and "his payment accompanies him." Here "payment" and "reward" are synonymous just as "strength" and "arm" are above.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:35 am
1213 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:09 am
Is Jesus God's arm?
Arm as used here is simply a synonym for strength. Don't forget we are reading poetry here. ..
How do you know it is just poetry and doesn't mean for example Jesus? I think it is possible that every time Bible speaks of God's arm, it means Jesus.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:03 am How do you know it is just poetry and doesn't mean for example Jesus? I think it is possible that every time Bible speaks of God's arm, it means Jesus.
You can read it for yourself.

10 Look! The Lord God comes with strength, <- this idea of strength
and his arm[a] rules for him. <- is emphasised and reiterated on the next line here
Look! His reward is with him, <- this idea of reward
and his payment accompanies him. <- is emphasised and reiterated on the next line here

Therefore the two lines, couplets, go together carrying forward the same idea in this case.

Also think about the poetry you are adding. You want arm to mean Jesus. But in fairness the verses are simpler, God is strong (line 1 and 2) God is bringing his reward (line 3 and 4)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 pm
John 5:22

22 The Father judges no one, but has given all authority to judge to the Son, 23 so that everyone may honor the Son as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

Matthew 16:27

27 The Son of Man is going to come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay everyone according to what he has done.

Isaiah 40:10

10 Look! The Lord God comes with strength,
and his arm[a] rules for him.
Look! His reward is with him,
and his payment accompanies him.

So the Father is not coming to judge.
Jesus is coming and YHWH is coming with their reward.

Is this proof Jesus is YHWH?

This argument was taken from this youtube video:
Did you fail to see that the "LORD" at Isaiah 40:10 should say "Jehovah comes with strength." His name appears in that verse and can be readily observed if someone will look at the Hebrew version of the Scripture. The Tetragrammaton appears there---YHWH---which the King James Version translates as "Jehovah" (Psalm 83:18) in four places. It declines to translate all of the 7,000 other places that the Tetragrammaton appears as "Jehovah," but inserts "LORD" instead. Do you take that into consideration? Also, do you agree that YHWH is the Father? Jesus seemed to think so.

So your statement that "the Father is not coming to judge" falls flat. The Father IS the LORD at Isaiah 40:10. Therefore we have Jehovah AND Jesus coming to judge. It is true that God gave Jesus the authority to judge, but that doesn't take away from Jehovah's superiority. All glory goes to the Father, with all things that Jesus does, as you can see from the scriptures you presented.

Jehovah says at Malachi 3:1 and 5: "Look! I am sending my messenger (John the Baptist), and he must clear up a way before me. And suddenly there will come to his temple the true Lord (Jesus), whom you people are seeking, and the messenger of the covenant in whom you are delighting. Look! He will certainly come, Jehovah of armies has said....And I (Jehovah) will come near to you people for the judgment..."

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:38 am Did you fail to see that the "LORD" at Isaiah 40:10 should say "Jehovah comes with strength." His name appears in that verse and can be readily observed if someone will look at the Hebrew version of the Scripture. The Tetragrammaton appears there---YHWH---which the King James Version translates as "Jehovah" (Psalm 83:18) in four places. It declines to translate all of the 7,000 other places that the Tetragrammaton appears as "Jehovah," but inserts "LORD" instead. Do you take that into consideration? Also, do you agree that YHWH is the Father? Jesus seemed to think so.
LORD is YHWH. So I am factoring that in. Jesus is YHWH. The father is YHWH. The Spirit is YHWH. But since you agree that YHWH is the father and that 'The Father judges no one' then who is coming?
So your statement that "the Father is not coming to judge" falls flat. The Father IS the LORD at Isaiah 40:10. Therefore we have Jehovah AND Jesus coming to judge. It is true that God gave Jesus the authority to judge, but that doesn't take away from Jehovah's superiority. All glory goes to the Father, with all things that Jesus does, as you can see from the scriptures you presented.
Well if you think the Bible falls flat that is on you. It's from the Bible. Focus on it: "For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son". Therefore the father does no judging. Therefore you are wrong when you write: 'Therefore we have Jehovah AND Jesus coming to judge.' and you think that one is God and one is not God. The Bible says God is coming to judge but the Bible also says that the Father judges no one. So how can God come to judge but not come? Either Isaiah is wrong or John is wrong OR both are right.
Jehovah says at Malachi 3:1 and 5: "Look! I am sending my messenger (John the Baptist), and he must clear up a way before me. And suddenly there will come to his temple the true Lord (Jesus), whom you people are seeking, and the messenger of the covenant in whom you are delighting. Look! He will certainly come, Jehovah of armies has said....And I (Jehovah) will come near to you people for the judgment..."
Malachi is clear that there will be a messenger, then YHWH appears.
The new testament makes it clear that John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus.
Therefore Jesus is God.
1 This is[a] the beginning of the gospel of Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God.[c] 2 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,

“See! I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way.[d]
3 He is a voice calling out in the wilderness:
‘Prepare the way for the Lord![e]
Make his paths straight!’”[f]

4 John was baptizing in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism about repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 People from[g] the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were flocking to him, being baptized by him while they confessed their sins. 6 Now John was dressed in camel’s hair with[h] a leather belt around his waist. He ate grasshoppers and wild honey. 7 He kept proclaiming, “The one who is coming after me is stronger than I am, and I am not worthy to bend down and untie his sandal straps. 8 I baptized you with[j] water, but it is he who will baptize you with[k] the Holy Spirit.”

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:58 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:38 am Did you fail to see that the "LORD" at Isaiah 40:10 should say "Jehovah comes with strength." His name appears in that verse and can be readily observed if someone will look at the Hebrew version of the Scripture. The Tetragrammaton appears there---YHWH---which the King James Version translates as "Jehovah" (Psalm 83:18) in four places. It declines to translate all of the 7,000 other places that the Tetragrammaton appears as "Jehovah," but inserts "LORD" instead. Do you take that into consideration? Also, do you agree that YHWH is the Father? Jesus seemed to think so.
LORD is YHWH. So I am factoring that in. Jesus is YHWH. The father is YHWH. The Spirit is YHWH. But since you agree that YHWH is the father and that 'The Father judges no one' then who is coming?
No, Jesus is not YHWH. The distinction can be seen in many places, one of which is Isaiah 61:1,2 where YHWH is anointing and sending the Messiah, Jesus, to the earth to bring glad tidings to the lowly, heal the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to the captives, etc., etc. Jesus applied this to himself (as the Messiah) as we see at Luke 4: 16-21. There are obviously two individuals spoken of in the verses of Isaiah. Jesus and his Father (YHWH) are not the same person.

The Father has given Jesus the authority to judge. You can bet that Jesus agrees with everything the Father does and says. They both come in perfect unity of purpose. (John 5:19; John 5:36; John 6:27,36; John 7:28,29; John 8:26-29; John 12:49,50; John 13:3; John 17:20-23)

It's interesting that, as you can see from the verses that I cited, Jesus says he came from God and is going back to God. He is obviously not "God" because he is going back to God--His Father and his God. (John 20:17)

So....the Father = YHWH = God
Jesus is apart from God as an individual and is the Son OF God. He is not his own Son.