Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

"Unbelieveable" Christian Podcast

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

I regularly listen to "Unbelievable" - the Christian podcast by Justin Brierley. Usually it's a debate between an Atheist and Theist, but they occasionally only have Christians on.

The Halloween episode was magical. Three wacky Christians, one odder than the next. (Spoiler: Ray Comfort wasn't the craziest one!)
https://www.premierunbelievable.com/unb ... 31.article

I don't think a single podcast has summed up what I think is completely messed up about Christianity. They were judgmental of other Christians, they were fearful (Ray Comfort saying that the majority of his day is spent fretting and worrying about Hell), they were unhinged (the woman had been a number of other religions before settling on Christianity (for now) and was literally insane. They used all that "Jesus talk" stuff that is so common - the odd syntax. They thought demons were speaking to children. They justified indoctrinating children (handing out Chick Tracts instead of candy).

It was truly everything that gives Christianity a bad name - yet they were convinced they were the righteous ones. It was scary, but captivating - like a good Jordan Peele movie.

Give it a listen. Let me know what you think.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: "Unbelieveable" Christian Podcast

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

There are some good 'uns On one a kid of about ten by the sound of him 'phoned in some pretty good questions, though unsound as Theist apoligetics are. e.g. is mathematics discovered or invented. I usually pause while i concoct an answer and mine was, Discovered, not invented or designed. That was pretty much the answer and the kid talked about mathematics potentially describing the universe and that is sorta like God. Folks, this was one of the Better apologetics I've heard. :D Thing is, when you realize that number are arabic numbers - could as well have been Roman, Indian or chinese reckoning- you realise that Numbers are a language we devised to talk about mathematics which works. Thus it is a human invention used to describe a thing that works like physics, aerodynatics or indeed logic, as logic if done right, works, if done wrong , it doesn't.

Now, music, art and literature are human inventions. They can be changed., like the rules of sports (though rules are needed or they Do nothing we might understand). Like the tempered scale was created to play in all keys. While the physics of sound are real, the rules of music can be altered. Same with literature, though describing real things should be true, give or take human imagination, words can be used as wallpaper, like some of Beckett's later work.

So it follows that mathematics is a real thing discovered, but Numbers are a language invented to talk about it.

None of which gets us to a cosmic mind. But as I said, this was one of the better ones. I watched one of the worst...God exists because...life wouldn't exist unless the world was made just to suit it. "Well heck, that hole in the road was made the exact same shape as the puddle I'm going to make". Proof of extra human intent. That is the persistent flaw in 'Design' reasoning - Godfaith. Because they assume an intended outcome that can't be reached by chance. But if the was NO intended outcome, what we got was what fitted the circumstances.

It took two or more hefty extinctions before even mammals got a chance. Let alone Us. The Theists (ID and Planning) really think these are good arguments. They do not get that they fail because of a priori assumption of a Plan (by God - name your own) and they do not get it before or after the explanations.

Shutting out evidence that conflicts with Faith being a different argument.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Further. Halloween. I originally was a bit peeved that the kids replaced Halloween (admittedly they didn't know what to do with it) with trick or treat where they demand handouts with menaces. But when i heard Christians freaking out about it, I changed my mind O:) and am now a regular hander out of candy bars to kiddies (with a police car parked across the street). Let the crazies meltdown about Ocober 31st satanism, I just laugh. So should everyone else.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:05 am Give it a listen. Let me know what you think.
Oh. My. Gawd.

This is a 400IQ play by Christians to get people to stop trick-or-treating: When they come to your door, evangelise and preach to them.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:14 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:05 am Give it a listen. Let me know what you think.
Oh. My. Gawd.

This is a 400IQ play by Christians to get people to stop trick-or-treating: When they come to your door, evangelise and preach to them.
Not very smart if there are only a small minority of Christians insane enough to do it. It just makes it obvious who the crazies are in your town.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:23 am
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:14 pm
Oh. My. Gawd.

Not very smart if there are only a small minority of Christians insane enough to do it. It just makes it obvious who the crazies are in your town.
And it makes kids not trick-or-treat, because there could be a religious person in there.

I know I wouldn't. That's too scary, man. Way too scary.