DID CHRIST DIE FOR HIS FRIENDS OR HIS ENEMIES?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

I realize that as I continue to declare that Christ died twice, once for sins from the foundation of the world, and once at the time of the cross, to demonstrate what he already accomplished. And while this does not sit well with many who are unwiling to examine these things in the scriptures, I'd like to put forth yet another set of passages that can only be harmonized when we understand his 2 deaths. So, my question for this thread is, did Christ die for his friends or for his enemies? And how does your answer take these two scriptures into consideration?

Romans 5:10 (KJV 1900)
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

John 15:13–14 (KJV 1900)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends.....

onewithhim
Savant

Re: DID CHRIST DIE FOR HIS FRIENDS OR HIS ENEMIES?

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 pm I realize that as I continue to declare that Christ died twice, once for sins from the foundation of the world, and once at the time of the cross, to demonstrate what he already accomplished. And while this does not sit well with many who are unwiling to examine these things in the scriptures, I'd like to put forth yet another set of passages that can only be harmonized when we understand his 2 deaths. So, my question for this thread is, did Christ die for his friends or for his enemies? And how does your answer take these two scriptures into consideration?

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends.....
He died for anyone who would accept him.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by thomasdixon »

neither
At the time of Christs death, the Jews were revolting against the Roman occupation. The local Rabi’s told the Romans that they could stop the revolt if the Romans would get rid of Jesus.
We all know what happened next.
:)

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Eddie Ramos »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:20 pm
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 pm I realize that as I continue to declare that Christ died twice, once for sins from the foundation of the world, and once at the time of the cross, to demonstrate what he already accomplished. And while this does not sit well with many who are unwiling to examine these things in the scriptures, I'd like to put forth yet another set of passages that can only be harmonized when we understand his 2 deaths. So, my question for this thread is, did Christ die for his friends or for his enemies? And how does your answer take these two scriptures into consideration?

Thanks, but that wasn't the question. Please re-read the OP. Those whom Christ died for, were they friends or were they enemies when Christ died for them? The 2 scriptures in question are provided in the OP.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Eddie Ramos »

thomasdixon wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:20 pm DID CHRIST DIE FOR HIS FRIENDS OR HIS ENEMIES?
neither
At the time of Christs death, the Jews were revolting against the Roman occupation. The local Rabi’s told the Romans that they could stop the revolt if the Romans would get rid of Jesus.
We all know what happened next.
:)
Please re-read the OP. The question was specific, along with the scriptures provided. How do those scriptures line up with your statement? Thanks.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 pm ...And how does your answer take these two scriptures into consideration?

Neither of those tells actually for what Jesus died.

I think it is nice that Bible actually tells directly what was the reason:

For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #7

Post by Brightfame52 »

Its both, He died for His own elect, which are His Beloved friends due to Him choosing them for Himself in Christ Jesus before the foundation Eph 1:4 yet by nature these same ones are His enemies in their minds by wicked works Col 1:21

21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Rom 5:10

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled[friends] to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:21 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:20 pm

Thanks, but that wasn't the question. Please re-read the OP. Those whom Christ died for, were they friends or were they enemies when Christ died for them? The 2 scriptures in question are provided in the OP.
He died for both. Hopefully the enemies would eventually believe in him and follow him. (Romans 5:10)

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by TheHolyGhost »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 pm DID CHRIST DIE FOR HIS FRIENDS OR HIS ENEMIES?
Neither one.