What is "Worship"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What is "Worship"?

Post #1

Post by William »

Generally when the phrase "Worship God" is expressed, the idea of what that means is reflected in the image above.

Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: What is "Worship"?

Post #21

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to William in post #19]

No since its my post.

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #15]
In my answer pride IS involved if a person is seeking an answer. Take it or leave it.
For now I will do neither for it is unclear why this would be the case. "Pride" is not what the thread is asking about.
I'm just answering your question from by beliefs what it takes to know what true worship is.
Your beliefs about "what it takes to know what true worship is" isn't what the thread topic is asking.
The question being asked;

"Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?"
There is nothing specific to point out. The Christian Greek Scriptures, all of it, hold the correct way to worship God.
Again, the thread question isn't asking for personal belief-based opinions about "what is the correct "way" to worship God.?"
I know of no scripture that says raising one's arms by itself is an act of worship.
Do you know of any scripture which say's the raising of ones arms by itself is not an act of worship?
It is my belief that any worship not listed in the Bible is worship going to Satan.
Are you claiming that God doesn't want to be worshipped in that manner, because the Bible makes no mention of it being an act of worshiping God?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:45 am
Your beliefs about "what it takes to know what true worship is" isn't what the thread topic is asking.
If you don't want to know what other people believe then I guess we are done here. Because my answers can't be untied from what it takes to know what true worship is. So unless you can accept that, I guess this is good bye.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:20 pm
If you don't want to know what other people believe then I guess we are done here. Because my answers can't be untied from what it takes to know what true worship is. So unless you can accept that, I guess this is good bye.
Yes.

It is important to follow the thread topic rather than to go off on belief-based tangents, as it makes for a more consistent focus on the actual subject at hand.

Perhaps a thread can be started where "worship of the bible is how to worship God correctly", can be focused upon and discussed, and beliefs about that can be examined.

Meantime, if you do have any answer to what worship re the question "Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?" is, then feel free to provide that.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #25

Post by 2timothy316 »

William wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:29 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:20 pm
Yes.

It is important to follow the thread topic rather than to go off on belief-based tangents, as it makes for a more consistent focus on the actual subject at hand.

Perhaps a thread can be started where "worship of the bible is how to worship God correctly", can be focused upon and discussed, and beliefs about that can be examined.

Meantime, if you do have any answer to what worship re the question "Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?" is, then feel free to provide that.
Then from my stand point, you never really wanted to know what worship is, because all anyone can give is their personal belief, so there is no point in answering any of your questions. All one can do is give their personal belief on what worship is and you're not listening so bye. Im adding you to my ignore list so no need to respond as I will not see it.

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #25]
Then from my stand point, you never really wanted to know what worship is, because all anyone can give is their personal belief, so there is no point in answering any of your questions.
I am interested in if there is any overall consensus on the question.
If it all simply boils down to personal belief, then - even that two individuals (or 8 million) share a similarity in their beliefs (as framed and agreed upon) including their beliefs about what is worship, there is no particular agreement because the whole idea appears to be based upon the individuals relationship with their preferred image of יהוה and how they then choose to worship that image.

So it is not really that there "is no point in answering any of my question" but that there is no one overall answer to the question being asked.
All one can do is give their personal belief on what worship is and you're not listening so bye.
The truth is, I am very much listening.
Im adding you to my ignore list so no need to respond as I will not see it.
For the readers sake, yes - it is necessary to respond.

It is somewhat sad that 2timothy316 chooses to ignore folk based upon false information (re my supposed intentions). I wonder what Jesus would do in such a situation?

Perhaps the answer to that question is for another thread...

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

Could this image symbolize a possible answer to the thread question?

Also to note - can the parents actions too, be regarded as an act of worship?

Ross
Scholar

Post #28

Post by Ross »

A very interesting discussion about a topic which is not considered to be controversial or doctrinally heavy.
Reading between the lines, and examining the obvious honesty and integrity of that small debate from both contributors reveals a wealth of insight into the psyche of the two schools of thought.
As I am on a final warning, I am attempting to be super diplomatic in my posts from now on.

Ross
Scholar

Post #29

Post by Ross »

I have often wondered why The Almighty requires 'worship?'

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Ross wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm I have often wondered why The Almighty requires 'worship?'
That's a good question. You'd think it doesn't need it. I suspect that some humans have a desire to worship something, so they reflect onto god/gods that those require worship. It's a match made in heaven... or somewhere.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom