What is "Worship"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What is "Worship"?

Post #1

Post by William »

Generally when the phrase "Worship God" is expressed, the idea of what that means is reflected in the image above.

Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: What is "Worship"?

Post #31

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:13 pm
Ross wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm I have often wondered why The Almighty requires 'worship?'
That's a good question. You'd think it doesn't need it. I suspect that some humans have a desire to worship something, so they reflect onto god/gods that those require worship. It's a match made in heaven... or somewhere.

Tcg
He doesn't need it. We do.

"This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: “I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk. If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea." Isa 48:17,18

If we don't worship Him nothing happens to Him. We don't, we die.

"“But if your heart turns away and you do not listen and you are enticed and bow down to other gods and serve them, I tell you today that you will certainly perish." Deut 30:17

William
Savant

Post #32

Post by William »

Ross wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm I have often wondered why The Almighty requires 'worship?'
That's a good question. You'd think it doesn't need it. I suspect that some humans have a desire to worship something, so they reflect onto god/gods that those require worship. It's a match made in heaven... or somewhere.

Tcg
The question being asked is "What is worship?" so one would have to clarify what one is meaning in relation to the question "why does The Almighty require worship".

If "worship" was another way of saying "acknowledgment" (of existence) then there might be a reason for that requirement...

A natural requirement, like the symbolization of the image of the parents and offspring...

Ross
Scholar

Post #33

Post by Ross »

William wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 pm

Tcg
The question being asked is "What is worship?" so one would have to clarify what one is meaning in relation to the question "why does The Almighty require worship".

If "worship" was another way of saying "acknowledgment" (of existence) then there might be a reason for that requirement...

A natural requirement, like the symbolization of the image of the parents and offspring...
I understand love, respect, honour, fear, appreciation and awe of the Most High, but would you ask your children or even your pet to worship you in the common understanding of the term?

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

[Replying to Ross in post #33]
I understand love, respect, honour, fear, appreciation and awe of the Most High, but would you ask your children or even your pet to worship you in the common understanding of the term?
The OP question is asking if there even is a "common understanding of the term".
OP Question wrote:Is there any underlying agreement which can be identified to answer the question "What is Worship of God?"?
Is "Love, respect, honour, fear, appreciation and awe of God" "worship of God" and if so, why would human parents and children not be treated/treat one another so, given the two commands which "hang all the law and the prophets"? (re Matthew 22:40)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #35

Post by onewithhim »

He does because He is the Most High over everything and deserves it. Besides that, it is for our benefit that we honor and venerate YHWH. He gives us all things good. Why wouldn't we want that? When we worship Him we reap many benefits. The benefits go with the territory, so to speak. You can see the results of NOT worshipping YHWH today all over the world. He lets people do what they want, and hardly anyone wants to be His friend. His worship is for our benefit.

"'I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.'" (Isaiah 48:17,18)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #36

Post by onewithhim »

Ross wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:10 pm
William wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 pm

Tcg

There is a misunderstanding of the word. Kings and governors and judges and other people in positions of authority are "worshipped." It means to give honor and respect. Yes, I would ask my kids to "worship" me.

Only YHWH deserves the ultimate worship, as God Almighty. Parents' worship is merely respect.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #37

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:47 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:31 pm [Replying to William in post #6]

You forget the rest of the verse. "Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God, the Father." (Philippians 2:11)
I am simply posting memes which others have created re the thread subject.

How would the extra words affect the message of the meme?

Would it take on a different appearance? Would a different image be more appropriate? If so, what would that image be?
The image suggests that Jesus is God. It does not include the Father whom Jesus said was "the only true God." Leaving off the last part of the verse is tantamount to denying the superiority of YHWH. Even Jesus said that he was subject to Jehovah and couldn't say anything on his own, and required guidance from his Father.

The image would be YHWH probably in the background on His throne, in a position to guide His Son. Or even beside Jesus, as He is said to be in Scripture.

William
Savant

Post #38

Post by William »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:55 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:47 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:31 pm [Replying to William in post #6]

You forget the rest of the verse. "Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God, the Father." (Philippians 2:11)
I am simply posting memes which others have created re the thread subject.

How would the extra words affect the message of the meme?

Would it take on a different appearance? Would a different image be more appropriate? If so, what would that image be?
The image suggests that Jesus is God. It does not include the Father whom Jesus said was "the only true God."

Interesting. What image would you suggest for "the only true God"?
Leaving off the last part of the verse is tantamount to denying the superiority of YHWH.
Perhaps. So we could take from that, that it is a false image and does not represent anything to do with worship or God?
Even Jesus said that he was subject to Jehovah and couldn't say anything on his own, and required guidance from his Father.
True enough re the stories. Jesus renounced his own will for that of The Fathers. Perhaps such is an example of worship of God?
The image would be YHWH probably in the background on His throne, in a position to guide His Son.
Would such an image have to be true or simply a representation of יהוה ?
Or even beside Jesus, as He is said to be in Scripture.
(Psalms 16:8.) Did the psalmist know about Jesus being "The Lord" he was speaking of being "beside" him or do the Christians have it incorrect in referring to Jesus as "Lord" and thus are not worshiping God?
(Luke 17:20 -21) How would one image the idea that God's dwelling place (kingdom) is "within" as it is attributed Jesus taught - "in Scripture"?

William
Savant

Post #39

Post by William »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 am

Only YHWH deserves the ultimate worship, as God Almighty. Parents' worship is merely respect.
Given the two commands which "hang all the law and the prophets" (re Matthew 22:40) is it realistic to expect humans to "merely" respect each other, but in some supposed superior manner, not simply "merely" respect יהוה.

Given the two commands which "hang all the law and the prophets" wherein does it teach that we should love יהוה "more than we should love one another"?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:37...)

Perhaps "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind" is "what is worship" and perhaps the twist in comprehension has come about through humans compartmentalizing "different types" of love "allocated" according to rank and thus a supposed "superior" love is reserved for that which is "most high"?

Perhaps too, the "second" is an external expression of an internal condition, and together these are indicative of what "worship of God" actually is?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #40

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:18 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 am

Given the two commands which "hang all the law and the prophets" (re Matthew 22:40) is it realistic to expect humans to "merely" respect each other, but in some supposed superior manner, not simply "merely" respect יהוה.
Yes.