Special Rules... Why?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Special Rules... Why?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:18 pm I don't subscribe to the notion that people receive divine revelation to the extent that the discussion suggests anyway. God doesn't talk to people like he did Moses. He doesn't tell them to go forth and convert the heathens running amok on internet forums. If someone tells me "God told me" or they received something through "divine revelation" I'm pretty sure they are lying or delusional. Or perhaps even under demonic influence.
For debate: Why give the Bible special circumstances, special privileges, special pleading, or special rules? Why not just apply the exact same reasoning in bold, as quoted above? Meaning, no one is receiving any revelation; direct or indirect. It's all instead self-deception/other.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Data
Sage

Re: Special Rules... Why?

Post #91

Post by Data »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:51 pm Data makes a valid point. If anyone today were to make the claims that any of the Old Testament prophets or NT writers made, that they have 'special' communications from some 'god,' we would laugh and walk away or call the sanity squad. Everyone who subscribes to some religion dismisses the claims of 'prophets' of all other religions.

I fully understand those who dismiss all claims of any 'prophet' that he or she speaks for God. What I do not understand is how anyone can, without embarrassment, claim their favorite prophet(s) is the exception and really does speak for 'God.'
Obviously on your own admission it would be subjective. People generally don't follow the prophets they think are false.

Or do they. For what reason?