Could the Triune God create someone like himself?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

Could the Triune God create someone like himself?

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

Could the God of Christianity, a Trinity, in principle be capable of creating a second God like or exactly like himself? This would be different than other limits on his creative ability that are logically absurd/self-refuting (a square circle, etc). At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any incoherence. But would there be a similar condition, of absurdity, preventing the god from creating someone just like him?

This was just something on my mind. Looking forward to responses.

P.S.,

I do understand of course that the second God would by definition not be eternal as the first. But this one condition doesn't seem to touch upon the essential QUALITY of the second God, which is what I am interested in; that in all other aspects he would be a virtual facsimile of the first.... Feel free however to bring up this condition in your argument if you think it relevant though.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Could the Triune God create someone like himself?

Post #11

Post by Dimmesdale »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:07 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:56 pm Could the God of Christianity, a Trinity, in principle be capable of creating a second God like or exactly like himself? This would be different than other limits on his creative ability that are logically absurd/self-refuting (a square circle, etc). At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any incoherence. But would there be a similar condition, of absurdity, preventing the god from creating someone just like him?

P.S.,

I do understand of course that the second God would by definition not be eternal as the first. But this one condition doesn't seem to touch upon the essential QUALITY of the second God, which is what I am interested in; that in all other aspects he would be a virtual facsimile of the first.... Feel free however to bring up this condition in your argument if you think it relevant though.
There could be NO "second God." Jehovah alone is God and he doesn't change. God says: "I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory..." (Isaiah 42:8< NWT) And: "Thus said Jehovah, king of Israel, and his [Israel's] Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts: 'I am the first, and I the last, and besides Me there is no God.'" (Isaiah XLIV:6; Young's Literal Translation)

He wouldn't create another God. And if he did it certainly wouldn't be equal to himself.
Okay, I understand that is your position. But I am looking for justifications/explanations of WHY that is the case. Simply asserting that God can't create God doesn't Demonstrate why it wouldn't be possible.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Could the Triune God create someone like himself?

Post #12

Post by onewithhim »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:30 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:07 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:56 pm Could the God of Christianity, a Trinity, in principle be capable of creating a second God like or exactly like himself? This would be different than other limits on his creative ability that are logically absurd/self-refuting (a square circle, etc). At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any incoherence. But would there be a similar condition, of absurdity, preventing the god from creating someone just like him?

P.S.,

There could be NO "second God." Jehovah alone is God and he doesn't change. God says: "I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory..." (Isaiah 42:8< NWT) And: "Thus said Jehovah, king of Israel, and his [Israel's] Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts: 'I am the first, and I the last, and besides Me there is no God.'" (Isaiah XLIV:6; Young's Literal Translation)

He wouldn't create another God. And if he did it certainly wouldn't be equal to himself.
Okay, I understand that is your position. But I am looking for justifications/explanations of WHY that is the case. Simply asserting that God can't create God doesn't Demonstrate why it wouldn't be possible.
I posted why it wouldn't be possible. God (YHWH) says that beside Him there is no God (Isaiah XLIV:6), and he will not give His glory to someone else (Isaiah 42:8) He cannot make another God. He is God and He doesn't change. "For I am Jehovah; I have not changed." (Malachi 3:6) He is averse to change and hasn't changed in untold trillions of years, so it is for certain that he would not make another God. It is said of Jesus: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:8) Now, Jesus is the perfect reflection of Jehovah, he is the image of God. If he doesn't change, Jehovah certainly wouldn't. Jesus is "the image of the invisible God..." (Colossians 1:15)