Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Post #1

Post by POI »

After years of debate, one topic seems to remain without waiver and/or adjustment. I'm placing this topic here, in the forefront/spotlight, to expose it to direct challenge. I will be more than happy than to (waiver from/augment/abort) this hypothesis, baring evidence to the contrary....

Hypothesis: The reason most/all believe in (God/gods/higher powers) is because of evolution. Meaning, 'survival of the fitter." Meaning, all humans who favored type 2 errors over type 1 errors are now mostly gone. We inherit our parent's predisposition to invoke type 1 errors, until otherwise logically necessary. Meaning, few will still BECOME atheists after "going to the well enough times" and not seeing God there.

Allow me to explain. In this context, a type 1 error would be first assuming intentional agency, and being wrong -- (good or bad). Alternatively, a type 2 error would be not to first assume intentional agency, and being wrong.

1) Walking down a dirt path, from point A to point B, and hearing a rustle in the weeds, and first assuming danger, would be a type 1 error IF incorrect. This person would still be alive if they are wrong. Maybe it was actually just the wind. Alternatively, if one was to instead first assume no danger, the wind, but there was danger, this person has first committed a type 2 error and is now likely out of the gene pool. And since this has been happening for a long time, we only have the ones who first invoke type 1 errors.

2) Getting in a car wreck with 3 friends.... Your 3 friends die, but you live. You assume you are purposefully spared. IF you are wrong, there is really no harm and no way to know. There is really also no way to confirm you were not spared. Hence, your possible type 1 error is never confirmed/corrected. Which means you can and will continue to attribute agency, where there may not really be any.

In essence, you first assume agency, until proven otherwise. For God, it is never really unproven. Humans connect the dots, accept the hits and ignore the misses, other...

For debate: Is this is viable reason why most believe in a higher power? Is this also why other arguments, against god(s), hardly change the believer's mind?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Please Challenge This Hypothesis

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:16 pm ...
For debate: Is this is viable reason why most believe in a higher power?
Maybe for some. I believe in God, because of the Bible and that this life and world exists. I don't think we would know God, without Him announcing Himself as said in the Bible. Also, I think people are too evil and stupid to make Bible on their own.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:57 am
Maybe for some.
Thanks.
I believe in God, because of the Bible and that this life and world exists. I don't think we would know God, without Him announcing Himself as said in the Bible. Also, I think people are too evil and stupid to make Bible on their own.
I will not address any of this, as it would just immediately put us into other topics.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

POI wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:16 pm After years of debate, one topic seems to remain without waiver and/or adjustment. I'm placing this topic here, in the forefront/spotlight, to expose it to direct challenge. I will be more than happy than to (waiver from/augment/abort) this hypothesis, baring evidence to the contrary....

Hypothesis: The reason most/all believe in (God/gods/higher powers) is because of evolution. Meaning, 'survival of the fitter." Meaning, all humans who favored type 2 errors over type 1 errors are now mostly gone. We inherit our parent's predisposition to invoke type 1 errors, until otherwise logically necessary. Meaning, few will still BECOME atheists after "going to the well enough times" and not seeing God there.

Allow me to explain. In this context, a type 1 error would be first assuming intentional agency, and being wrong -- (good or bad). Alternatively, a type 2 error would be not to first assume intentional agency, and being wrong.

1) Walking down a dirt path, from point A to point B, and hearing a rustle in the weeds, and first assuming danger, would be a type 1 error IF incorrect. This person would still be alive if they are wrong. Maybe it was actually just the wind. Alternatively, if one was to instead first assume no danger, the wind, but there was danger, this person has first committed a type 2 error and is now likely out of the gene pool. And since this has been happening for a long time, we only have the ones who first invoke type 1 errors.

2) Getting in a car wreck with 3 friends.... Your 3 friends die, but you live. You assume you are purposefully spared. IF you are wrong, there is really no harm and no way to know. There is really also no way to confirm you were not spared. Hence, your possible type 1 error is never confirmed/corrected. Which means you can and will continue to attribute agency, where there may not really be any.

In essence, you first assume agency, until proven otherwise. For God, it is never really unproven. Humans connect the dots, accept the hits and ignore the misses, other...

For debate: Is this is viable reason why most believe in a higher power? Is this also why other arguments, against god(s), hardly change the believer's mind?
It is the reason IMO. Humans not only evolved to assign agency, we evolved to be hyper sensitive to doing just that.
Also, religions provide answer to unknowable questions and humans tend to fear what they don't know.

Why are we here?
What happens when we die?
Will I ever see my loved ones again?

Want answers... pick a religion and you have them.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Compassionist
Guru

Post #5

Post by Compassionist »

[Replying to POI in post #1]
Probably. I recommend reading "God: An Anatomy" by Francesca Stavrakopoulou.
Last edited by Compassionist on Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Thanks for all the posts. I'm thinking that evolution gives us fight or flight instincts. We start at anything that may be a threat. I also think part of our evolved survival make up is curiosity and exploration. It gives more chance for a better environment, more resources and a better life. And of course, :P instinctively, we fight for them if we feel we need to.

What part religion plays I'm still wondering, but I already identified, confidence, social bonding and easy answers to awkward questions.

If anyone asks what makes storms, an angry huge invisible human is the easiest answer imaginable.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

Maybe for some. I believe in God, because of the Bible and that this life and world exists. I don't think we would know God, without Him announcing Himself as said in the Bible. Also, I think people are too evil and stupid to make Bible on their own.
The Bible is an evil and stupid book. Given the number of inaccuracies, contradictions, and evil commands in the Bible, the conclusion is inevitable for me. Please see: https://www.evilbible.com and https://skepticsannotatedbible.com and watch:

POI
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by POI »

Compassionist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:32 pm
The Bible is an evil and stupid book. Given the number of inaccuracies, contradictions, and evil commands in the Bible, the conclusion is inevitable for me. Please see: https://www.evilbible.com and https://skepticsannotatedbible.com and watch:

Just a heads up, 1213 does not address videos. I'm not sure if (s)he addresses links either? So don't waste your time offering them. He will never watch and/or open them.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:) True, but I never expect any Theist poster to watch the vids I post either; they are rather for the edification and entertainment of lurkers, browsers and the general public, as well as me.

I have seen that vid. before but I don't mind watching it again.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Compassionist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:32 pm The Bible is an evil and stupid book. Given the number of inaccuracies, contradictions, and evil commands in the Bible, the conclusion is inevitable for me.
Sorry, I disagree with that. I don't think anyone has yet shown a real contradiction in the Bible.