Viruses: Created, Evolved, or Both?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Data
Sage

Viruses: Created, Evolved, or Both?

Post #1

Post by Data »

I'm somewhat more conversant on the subject than evolution and I thought this was an interesting question from an atheist vs theist perspective. Did God create viruses or did they evolve. My position is both. God created them and in the microevolutionary sense they evolved.
Last edited by Data on Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Viruses: Created, Evolved, or Both?

Post #2

Post by Clownboat »

Data wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 pm I'm somewhat more conversant on the subject than evolution and I thought this was an interesting question from an atheist vs theist perspective. Did God create viruses or did they evolve. My position is both. God created them and in the microevolutionary sense they evolved.
Viruses do evolve.
None of the available god concepts have been shown to be real. Therefore, the gods, like fairies are unnecessary for explaining viruses.
You may want to consider removing the extra baggage from your reasoning... Unless there is a reason to insert a god concept in the first place that I'm unaware of.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Data
Sage

Post #3

Post by Data »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am
Data wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 pm I'm somewhat more conversant on the subject than evolution and I thought this was an interesting question from an atheist vs theist perspective. Did God create viruses or did they evolve. My position is both. God created them and in the microevolutionary sense they evolved.
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am Viruses do evolve.
Agreed. As stated in the OP.
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am None of the available god concepts have been shown to be real. Therefore, the gods, like fairies are unnecessary for explaining viruses.
You may want to consider removing the extra baggage from your reasoning... Unless there is a reason to insert a god concept in the first place that I'm unaware of.
Okay. So, you say evolved but not created. Thanks.

ETA: I'm trying to imagine a way we could circumvent the argument of a creator for the purpose of debating the subject without having to have that specific endless and untestable debate, i.e. the existence of God. For the sake of argument without having to go there do you think it possible for the skeptic to contemplate creation without that discussion of God's existence, or is it a forgone conclusion?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

Data wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:03 pm
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am Viruses do evolve.
Agreed. As stated in the OP.
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am None of the available god concepts have been shown to be real. Therefore, the gods, like fairies are unnecessary for explaining viruses.
Okay. So, you say evolved but not created. Thanks.

ETA: I'm trying to imagine a way we could circumvent the argument of a creator for the purpose of debating the subject without having to have that specific endless and untestable debate, i.e. the existence of God. For the sake of argument without having to go there do you think it possible for the skeptic to contemplate creation without that discussion of God's existence, or is it a forgone conclusion?
It was you that inserted an unidentified god concept as a creator of viruses and now you want to circumvent discussing this assertion. That is a bit of a tall ask IMO.

However, I'm willing to consider any reasoned argument you are willing to make. For example, the universe was created somehow as a starting premise if that is your want. Could have been gods, fairies or whatever... doesn't matter. Now what? What's next?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Data
Sage

Post #5

Post by Data »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:12 pm It was you that inserted an unidentified god concept as a creator of viruses and now you want to circumvent discussing this assertion. That is a bit of a tall ask IMO.
Fair enough.
Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:12 pm However, I'm willing to consider any reasoned argument you are willing to make. For example, the universe was created somehow as a starting premise if that is your want. Could have been gods, fairies or whatever... doesn't matter. Now what? What's next?
Right. Even if there is some alternative to the two options of creation / evolution. I don't think evolution is in question here. The subject is interesting to me because the believer would have to ask themselves why would ID create viruses? Of course, viruses are beneficial, we couldn't live without them. (Source) When the Plandemic was being acted out I did some research on medicine, viruses, innaculations, vaccines, etc. and I thought it was an interesting subject.

So, yeah, the possiblity of viruses having been created could be the starting point with attribution of any kind. It isn't and argument on the existence of God.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #6

Post by Clownboat »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:21 pm So, yeah, the possiblity of viruses having been created could be the starting point with attribution of any kind. It isn't and argument on the existence of God.
We know evolution is a fact. Can you show us something created as you are using it here? That would at least suggest it as a possibility If not, then I don't see a valid reason to offer 'viruses were created' as a premise, but I'm open to being shown why it should be considered.

Data
Sage

Post #7

Post by Data »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:55 pm
Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:21 pm So, yeah, the possibility of viruses having been created could be the starting point with attribution of any kind. It isn't and argument on the existence of God.
We know evolution is a fact. Can you show us something created as you are using it here?

A Buick.
Clownboat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:55 pm That would at least suggest it as a possibility If not, then I don't see a valid reason to offer 'viruses were created' as a premise, but I'm open to being shown why it should be considered.
Well, it is a debate on created or evolved. I happen to think it was created and it has evolved; you can't really evolve something from nothing but unless you have some other explanation, I don't see why for the purpose of this discussion the attribution is significant.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #8

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:55 pm We know evolution is a fact. Can you show us something created as you are using it here?
A Buick.
Is manufactured, but let's assume you were being genuine shall we. How were viruses manufactured (like a Buick is). Was there some assembly line or were you just being silly playing fast and loose with words and their meaning?

Create
bring (something) into existence.

Was my Dodge brought in to existence in Detroit, or were the existing parts assembled there? We all know how we get cars and no one claims that they are brought in to existence... because they are assembled. What is the mechanism for how a virus was assembled, like a Buick is specifically. (Please note the underlined and bolded above)
I happen to think it was created and it has evolved;

I know what you think as you keep stating it. Therefore I'm asking for clarification. How do you propose that viruses were created like a Buick is created? I totally get Buicks, but you lose me at comparing them to viruses.
you can't really evolve something from nothing but unless you have some other explanation,

Straw man.
No one claims that a virus evolved from nothing besides yourself when you suggest there were created (brought in to existence).

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpa ... -14398218/
Viruses may have arisen from mobile genetic elements that gained the ability to move between cells. They may be descendants of previously free-living organisms that adapted a parasitic replication strategy. Perhaps viruses existed before, and led to the evolution of, cellular life.

The above is not a certainty, but it is far from how we get a Buick. How life originated is unknown, but how we got the life we now have on this planet is known and is due to it evolving.

None of todays life appears created, unless you have a valid example that is escaping me. Even bacteria (nylon eating) that once didn't exist now exists because it evolved. Nylon eating bacteria did not come about like how we get a Buick. One is assembled and the other is a change within the population that proved to be beneficial.

Therefore to suggest that viruses came about like how the rest of life came about (evolution) seems reasonable. I'm looking to see if you can make 'viruses were created' as reasonable. If not, I must continue to reject it as a starting premise (keep in mind that who this creator might have been is irrelevant to this observation, but not being able to point to any creator being sure doesn't make it more reasonable I'm sure we agree).