What does the Bible say about the end of the world?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Data
Sage

What does the Bible say about the end of the world?

Post #1

Post by Data »

What does the Bible say about the end of the world? Was the end of the world to come in the lifetime of the NT authors or soon?
Last edited by Data on Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Data
Sage

Re: What does the Bible say about the end of the world?

Post #21

Post by Data »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:02 am And like I said, Jesus thought it would happen sooner. Likely before all his direct followers perished.
I don't know what you base that on, because he always said that no one knows when that would happen. In fact, I think it a misinterpretation to think that when they said "no one knows except the Father" meant that at that time the Father knew. It meant that he would know when that time was, when the time was right. It doesn't have a fixed time.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:02 am And then later, the Bible writers thought it would happen sooner, and may have had to also re-spin what Jesus thought. And yet, either way, seems we are yet to be "cleansed of demonic presence".
Except for that last part about not yet without demonic presence, I don't see any basis for that interpretation. The Bible writers didn't think that. It didn't indicate that in any way that I can recall.

POI
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:28 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:02 am And like I said, Jesus thought it would happen sooner. Likely before all his direct followers perished.
I don't know what you base that on, because he always said that no one knows when that would happen. In fact, I think it a misinterpretation to think that when they said "no one knows except the Father" meant that at that time the Father knew. It meant that he would know when that time was, when the time was right. It doesn't have a fixed time.
Context Data, context. No one knows, even Jesus. Except that Jesus believed that one/some of his direct followers would not taste death before all comes to pass. Which means he does not know the day or time, but it's coming soon. And this is where later apologists have to re-work things, to taste.
Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:28 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:02 am And then later, the Bible writers thought it would happen sooner, and may have had to also re-spin what Jesus thought. And yet, either way, seems we are yet to be "cleansed of demonic presence".
Except for that last part about not yet without demonic presence, I don't see any basis for that interpretation. The Bible writers didn't think that. It didn't indicate that in any way that I can recall.
It does not matter what position you take. The interpretations are all over the place. I have very little skin in this game Data, but to suggest my hunch that the Bible writers prolly did not think Jesus would wait THIS long to come back. Transponder also made some good points in post 18 to consider.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Data
Sage

Post #23

Post by Data »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:22 am
Data wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:06 pm The terms then for earth and world were interchangeable with various meanings.
This is simply inaccurate.
EARTH : The Greek word ge refers to denotes earth as arable land or soil (as contrasted with seas or waters); it can refer to "earth" as a habitation for human creatures and animals; land, country or territory ground. The word can be used literally or (as is arguably the case in the letter of Peter, figuratively).

WORLD : Greek word kosmos basically means “order” or “arrangement" and in the Christian Greek Scriptures, is primarily linked to the world of mankind; In various contexts, it is used to refer to Humankind rather than the planet upon which humans and animals live.

AGE / SYSTEM : There is another word which some English translations also translate as "WORLD" which is aion. This refers to the current state of affairs or to features that distinguish a certain period of time, epoch, or age . Thus some bibles render this word "age" or "system"

It is impossible to accurately understand end time propecy without taking the above into consideration. Bible writers used these words, which were not interchangabl, to refer to distinct and different aspect of Christian theology. Serious bible students do well to check the Greek before coming to any conclusions about what the writer was trying to convey.
Hmmm. I always think of kosmos as adornment more than anything. Cosmetics, cosmos. But really, you think ge and kosmos aren't interchangeable? Even given your definitions? Land, habitation, country, world of mankind. Doesn't the Insight book say, under world: "Evidently because the universe manifests order, Greek philosophers at times applied kosmos to the entire visible creation."

Sometimes checking the Greek involves a more cultural than linguistic examination. For example, the Greek tartarus in Homer's Illiad or Socrates ψυχή (soul) and butterfly. The modern day term "worldly" "people."

Data
Sage

Post #24

Post by Data »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm Context Data, context. No one knows, even Jesus. Except that Jesus believed that one/some of his direct followers would not taste death before all comes to pass. Which means he does not know the day or time, but it's coming soon. And this is where later apologists have to re-work things, to taste.
No. Jesus said no one knows, Nowhere did he say some of his followers would not taste death before all comes to pass.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm It does not matter what position you take.
That's why I don't usually take one.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm I have very little skin in this game Data,

POI
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm Context Data, context. No one knows, even Jesus. Except that Jesus believed that one/some of his direct followers would not taste death before all comes to pass. Which means he does not know the day or time, but it's coming soon. And this is where later apologists have to re-work things, to taste.
No. Jesus said no one knows, Nowhere did he say some of his followers would not taste death before all comes to pass.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm It does not matter what position you take.
That's why I don't usually take one.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm I have very little skin in this game Data,
Absolutely no skin in this game, as it is nothing more than a flame war on all sides. I see no agreement, even from Christians. Case/point, post 23.

And to your response, here you go:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 pm That's why I don't usually take one.
Hmmm... Do you, or do you not think Jesus is "coming back"? Believers' take the position that he is. Unbelievers think he's dead and is not coming back.

Data
Sage

Post #27

Post by Data »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:26 pm Hmmm... Do you, or do you not think Jesus is "coming back"? Believers' take the position that he is. Unbelievers think he's dead and is not coming back.
I don't believe in believers, I believe in the Bible and the Bible doesn't say he's coming back for three reasons. 1) He isn't. 2) He is dead. And 3) He successfully finished what he came here to do. There isn't any reason for him to come back.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #28

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Data wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:05 am
POI wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:26 pm Hmmm... Do you, or do you not think Jesus is "coming back"? Believers' take the position that he is. Unbelievers think he's dead and is not coming back.
I don't believe in believers, I believe in the Bible and the Bible doesn't say he's coming back for three reasons. 1) He isn't. 2) He is dead. And 3) He successfully finished what he came here to do. There isn't any reason for him to come back.
Yet another Bible believer who has invented their own religion.

Jesus appears to be saying He'll come back and the Sanhedrin will see it themselves

Mark 14 61 Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Matthew 26.63.And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Both of these during the interrogation by the High priest.

Luke 21.24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Luke however doesn't have that but it appears puts it in the context of the Last Days and in the talk on the mount of Olives before the Last Supper and arrest. Also in Matthew 24.30 and Mark 13.26.
Last edited by TRANSPONDER on Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Savant

Post #29

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:52 am Or it has in fact been preached to all nations and the end hasn't come because it isn't going to.
If you think Matt. 24:14 has already happened, can you explain what "good news of the reign" means? Do you think all nations know meaning of that?

Data
Sage

Post #30

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:20 am Yet another Bible believer who has invented their own religion.
There is nothing original about my theology. There is nothing original about anyone's theology.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:20 am Jesus appears to be saying He'll come back and the Sanhedrin will see it themselves

Mark 14 61 Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Matthew 26.63.And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Both of these during the interrogation by the High priest.
Have you and POI read Post #9 That was taken from an article I published years ago in response to Steve Wells' Skeptic's Annotated Bible. It used to be linked to from that website by Mr. Wells himself. It was also published on Sam Harris' Reason Project. Or was it called Project Reason. Whichever.

C'mon, guys.