Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Jesus Saves!

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

I was looking at 2 discussion titles.
Special Rules... Why? and Jesus is Imaginary!

The second title is, grammatically, a personal exclamation, . It reminds me of a Pence comma, for some reason. The first title is inferring that there is something in place, that is incorrect and it becomes a pleading against the situation. When you contribute to these discussions, your post is embossed with the discussion title, as if it is an advertisement placement. I find this technique interesting.

My title is a well known roadside sign. It will become embedded in any contributions to this discussion.
Should roadside, Jesus Saves! signs be removed. Does Jesus save? What is he saving people from? What are the intentions of people who erect these signs?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

POI
Prodigy

Re: Jesus Saves!

Post #11

Post by POI »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:57 pm Hello Transponder
POI led with, Jesus is Imaginary!, on his discussion thread. I do not know what POI was referring to but the Jesus I relate to is real. As I mentioned at the time, he is as real as Muhammad Ali. If something required spin then it would infer that it was an untruth to begin with. The whole discussion appeared to be lopsided, and prejudged from the start.
Both Jesus and Muhammad WERE real, yes. But it's another thing to suggest you STILL actively communicate with either. They are both dead.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #12

Post by Masterblaster »

What are the intentions of people who erect these signs?

Many followers of Jesus consider it their responsibility, and duty, to introduce Him to others. There is a considerable body of New Testament literature that directs followers to undertake the active spreading of what they sometimes refer to as the Good News. This is their obvious intent, that is, to give Jesus to others.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #13

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Well then, atheist activism considers it their clear social duty to disabuse the people of the religious scam being perpetrated by all religions, not just the Christian one; and that is seen as a need and a social duty, not a divine command. So our posters are entitled to be put up as well.

Cue: "Oh yeah? Well every time we see one o' them thar Ay-thee - yist posters, we gonna rip it down!"

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:57 pm I do not know what POI was referring to but the Jesus I relate to is real. As I mentioned at the time, he is as real as Muhammad Ali.
More claims about Jesus. Do you intend to support them this time or are unsupported claims about Jesus all we should expect?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #15

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Tcg
Jesus is real.
Jesus is surrounded by historical context. We know where he was from, we know what life was like at that time. We are witness to this mans impact on history.
We have an array of witness accounts of his actions, his words and his wisdom.
We have instruction from these accounts regarding access to a deeper understanding of his ideas.
This man's message is unique and challenges accepted ways of doing things. People are extracting beneficial support from the whole Jesus experience. I regard this list as being a collection of simple observable truths and as such, they do not display an intention to preach. There are more things that might be mentioned and if you have a particular issue with any of the above, I will revisit them with further clarification.

POI
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by POI »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:01 pm Jesus is real.
Correction. Jesus (was) real. He's dead now.
Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:01 pm Jesus is surrounded by historical context. We know where he was from, we know what life was like at that time. We are witness to this mans impact on history.
We have an array of witness accounts of his actions, his words and his wisdom.
We have instruction from these accounts regarding access to a deeper understanding of his ideas.
This man's message is unique and challenges accepted ways of doing things. People are extracting beneficial support from the whole Jesus experience. I regard this list as being a collection of simple observable truths and as such, they do not display an intention to preach. There are more things that might be mentioned and if you have a particular issue with any of the above, I will revisit them with further clarification.
All the above demonstrates nothing more than he was real. What evidence(s) suggest he lives and communicates with humans today? At this point, the veracity of his past existence is no more validated that your example of Mr. Ali, who is also dead now.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #17

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello POI
We have different ideas.
I do not see death as you portray it. The people of most influence in my life are all dead, as you put it. That does not diminish their ability to communicate with me, or influence me in any significant way.
Many people would probably agree with this.

POI
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by POI »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:24 pm Hello POI
We have different ideas.
I do not see death as you portray it. The people of most influence in my life are all dead, as you put it. That does not diminish their ability to communicate with me, or influence me in any significant way.
Many people would probably agree with this.
Your ideas are unsupported. Mine are fact. Jesus and Mr. Ali are dead, buried, and their corpses are rotted. They no longer communicate with humans here on earth. What you are likely invoking, is self-deception. The same self-deception millions/more experience as 'mediums', 'psychics', 'mystics', believers of other god(s), etc....

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:04 am Should roadside, Jesus Saves! signs be removed.
They probably would be in communiste China but as someone that is privilèges to live in a country that values freedom of expression and freedom of religion I cannot see why they should be.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #20

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello POI
This is what you said.
"Your ideas are unsupported. Mine are fact. Jesus and Mr. Ali are dead, buried, and their corpses are rotted. They no longer communicate with humans here on earth. What you are likely invoking, is self-deception"

My reply is this.
I do not know of any human civilisation in history that engaged with this opinion of yours.
It would appear that you have over-embraced your ego to the detriment of attaining insight. I want to ask you. What makes your own situation so unique and special that you arbitrarily extract conclusions from it?