Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Jesus Saves!

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

I was looking at 2 discussion titles.
Special Rules... Why? and Jesus is Imaginary!

The second title is, grammatically, a personal exclamation, . It reminds me of a Pence comma, for some reason. The first title is inferring that there is something in place, that is incorrect and it becomes a pleading against the situation. When you contribute to these discussions, your post is embossed with the discussion title, as if it is an advertisement placement. I find this technique interesting.

My title is a well known roadside sign. It will become embedded in any contributions to this discussion.
Should roadside, Jesus Saves! signs be removed. Does Jesus save? What is he saving people from? What are the intentions of people who erect these signs?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

POI
Prodigy

Re: Jesus Saves!

Post #21

Post by POI »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:16 pm I do not know of any human civilisation in history that engaged with this opinion of yours.
Does the number of the same opinions then make some claim a fact?
Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:16 pm It would appear that you have over-embraced your ego to the detriment of attaining insight.
It is not a fact that dead people rot, and are then no longer able to have dialogue? Are you instead going on record to suggest Mr. Ali still communicates with humans?
Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:16 pm I want to ask you. What makes your own situation so unique and special that you arbitrarily extract conclusions from it?
Being unique is not what constitutes reality. Evidence does.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #22

Post by Masterblaster »

What is he saving people from.

The concept of dukkha is fundamental to Buddhism. Life can be very difficult. Beside moments of contentment we encounter fear and despondency. Jesus offers a saving lifeline of hope to people in their struggles. It is a means of overcoming dukkha through the harnessing of our innate capacity to love..
It is a unique approach.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #23

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That can be done through any other religion, surely? And one might argue that better to have a society that offers adequate help to overcome problems. For instance some kinds of depression can yield to medical help. And theoretically, problems through money troubles, etc can be assisted by aid and help rather than turning to Jesus to feel better about sleeping on the streets and starving, though for sure society at the moment seems to give that a low priority.

But bottom line is, at one time people used to pray to be healed from illness, and they died. How they don't pray, they get healed by medical science. If they can pay for it.

Of course the topic is more about salvation from sin and a proffered afterlife. But you did make a point.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #24

Post by Masterblaster »

Does Jesus save?

Yes, and that is despite ourselves. This formula uses our capacity to love at it's centre. Jesus amplifies the potential of this human love by displaying a love for God as being it's foundation. Most people love their friends. Why stop there, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. Love is the greatest, love God with everything and love your neighbour as yourself. This triple-vaccine has the potential to save. The individual is in this, their world is in this and their fellow human beings are in this.
I do not expect people to accept my say so for this and I am quite prepared to explore issues arising from what I have said. God is centrally vital to the Jesus message and there are many reasons for this being so. The Kingdom of God, as referred to, by Jesus, is fundamentally different to the concept of a Global Democracy, if and when such a thing might ever happen.
History is testimony to the countless people who have chosen to follow the teachings of Jesus, in their lives. I will not pick examples.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #25

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Hard to know what to say...just this, I suppose; if only there was good reason to suppose that such pretty doctrine was true, rather than, say, that of the Bhaghavad Gita, the Trripitaka or the Quran. Or indeed the Humanist one of, nobody is going to fix this but ourselves.

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:04 am ...
Should roadside, Jesus Saves! signs be removed. Does Jesus save? What is he saving people from? What are the intentions of people who erect these signs?
If they should be removed, shouldn't all advertisements be removed?

I think Jesus saves from the slavery for sin.

Jesus answered them, Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone practicing sin is a slave of sin. But the slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.
John 8:34-36

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #27

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:27 am
Masterblaster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:04 am ...
If they should be removed, shouldn't all advertisements be removed?

I think Jesus saves from the slavery for sin.

Jesus answered them, Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone practicing sin is a slave of sin. But the slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.
John 8:34-36
I would like all advertisements to be removed. You can't imagine how infuriating it is to have Sibelius 6 online interrupted by some screeching and Hooting advert trying to sell me trainers or a mountain bike. But if they are allowed, then they all should be allowed. Including those for false beliefs.

Savant

Post #28

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:30 am I would like all advertisements to be removed. You can't imagine how infuriating it is to have Sibelius 6 online interrupted by some screeching and Hooting advert trying to sell me trainers or a mountain bike. But if they are allowed, then they all should be allowed. Including those for false beliefs.
Yes, I can understand it is annoying if an advert interrupts music in that way. I think it is very stupid from the advertiser to make people hate them by allowing their ad to cause such interruption. I can assure you that I am not making that to happen to you. :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #29

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:38 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:30 am I would like all advertisements to be removed. You can't imagine how infuriating it is to have Sibelius 6 online interrupted by some screeching and Hooting advert trying to sell me trainers or a mountain bike. But if they are allowed, then they all should be allowed. Including those for false beliefs.
Yes, I can understand it is annoying if an advert interrupts music in that way. I think it is very stupid from the advertiser to make people hate them by allowing their ad to cause such interruption. I can assure you that I am not making that to happen to you. :D
Understood.I was using an extreme annoyance to point up my dislike of all intrusive advertising. Advertising products in a place where people go to look if they want a product is acceptable, even helpful, and billboards somewhere in between.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #30

Post by Masterblaster »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #25]

Hello Transponder
Jesus is not 'pretty doctrine'. If anything, it is a unique desperate rescue effort, for people, in this extremely harsh human environment.. Do you believe that people need to be saved, at all.

Jesus extracts hope and example, from watching a widow woman placing a few coppers into the Temple Offerings. The cornerstone of his doctrine is humanity within God. What motivated that woman to do such a thing?