Something Else

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Data
Sage

Something Else

Post #1

Post by Data »

One of the many things I learned after doing this sort of thing - the sort of thing we're doing here - is that the reason for our doing it is the most important thing we should recognize and the last thing we tend to want to recognize. I can usually tell within a few minutes of reading what the person's reason is. It isn't really difficult. The question for debate is a simple one and yet complex in some ways. What is the reason you do this?

I don't expect this to be a hot topic, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it got no response. But sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Something Else

Post #2

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Data
You say - I can usually tell within a few minutes of reading what the person's reason is. It isn't really difficult.

The question for debate is a simple one and yet complex in some ways. What is the reason you do this?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This makes no sense to me at all.
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Data wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:20 am ...I can usually tell within a few minutes of reading what the person's reason is. It isn't really difficult. The question for debate is a simple one and yet complex in some ways. What is the reason you do this?
What would you guess is my reason for doing this?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Perhaps an equally interesting question would be, If a person says why, would it be accepted, or would it be "Oh no, you say that, but I know better why you do it".

But atheist posters often get asked why, not out of an interest in motivation but as a disguised version of the Theist agenda - question "Why don't you shut up and go away?": ('If you don't believe it, why do you keep talking about it?')

But with me, it's simple. And also complex. This matters. And it seems to matter even more just now. But also It's my pet theory needs peddling. I think it's right (though it might be wrong) and somehow it needs to become part of the argument, if not credited. And also, of course, I learn a lot, all the time, and it's dun. :D

Data
Sage

Post #5

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:03 am Hello Data
You say - I can usually tell within a few minutes of reading what the person's reason is. It isn't really difficult.

The question for debate is a simple one and yet complex in some ways. What is the reason you do this?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This makes no sense to me at all.
Okay. It seems to me that if someone is going to challenge what a person or an entire group of people believe, they ought to be willing and able to honestly and straightforwardly give some logical reason for doing that, and it should be on the table for debate and discussion. Maybe that's the reason I do it. Or maybe I do it because I know to do that isn't something most of us would want to do and that needs to be addressed as well.

Make sense?

Data
Sage

Post #6

Post by Data »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:26 am
Data wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:20 am ...I can usually tell within a few minutes of reading what the person's reason is. It isn't really difficult. The question for debate is a simple one and yet complex in some ways. What is the reason you do this?
What would you guess is my reason for doing this?
That isn't the point of the discussion, noble of heart and pure of intention. The point is for you to tell me, not for me to guess or judge.

Data
Sage

Post #7

Post by Data »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:34 am Perhaps an equally interesting question would be, If a person says why, would it be accepted, or would it be "Oh no, you say that, but I know better why you do it".
[Laughs] In this arena?! Which do you think?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:34 am But atheist posters often get asked why, not out of an interest in motivation but as a disguised version of the Theist agenda - question "Why don't you shut up and go away?": ('If you don't believe it, why do you keep talking about it?')
No! atheists never say that to theists!

I think we're all just people, buddy. I don't think there is a real war of us against them unless both are willing to lock shields.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:34 am But with me, it's simple. And also complex. This matters. And it seems to matter even more just now. But also It's my pet theory needs peddling. I think it's right (though it might be wrong) and somehow it needs to become part of the argument, if not credited. And also, of course, I learn a lot, all the time, and it's dun. :D
You mean fun? I agree with all that you say in the above quote. Well put.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Data in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.