Could God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit, Incarnate like God the Son?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

Could God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit, Incarnate like God the Son?

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

It seems I'm on a roll with thinking about Christianity. Maybe it's the holiday season.

Something on my mind today was, could God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit, have incarnated the same way Jesus Christ did?

Disclaimer though: I am not a Christian. I just find this fascinating.

In my mind, the way I imagine it, God the Father would be a lot less happy around people than Jesus. This is because of the stature of God the Father as being the One to Whom all obedience is due, if I understand Christianity correctly. I have the feeling that God the Father would just not have the patience or forbearance to deal with human beings. Not to say that he couldn't face such difficulties, only that he would be unwilling to given his stature. It is the Son who does the Father's will. It would be an inappropriate reversal of roles in other words.

As for the Holy Spirit.... I have no idea. I have heard however that he doesn't like to be offended, and so his incarnation would precipitate a great deal of humans committing the Unpardonable Sin, perhaps.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd welcome in-put. Once again, even though I am not a Christian, I find this line of thinking fascinating.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Ross
Scholar

Re: Could God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit, Incarnate like God the Son?

Post #2

Post by Ross »

An excellent question.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Dimmesdale in post #1]

It's not a good question. There is no where in the Bible that speaks of "God the Son." There is one true God, and that is the Father (YHWH/Jehovah). Jesus said to the Father: "YOU are the only true God." (John 17:3)

There is no "God the Holy Spirit," for the Holy Spirit is God's active FORCE that Jehovah sends out to do his will.

So the question is: "Could God, the Father, incarnate like His Son?" And the answer is NO. He is too magnificent to incarnate on this little speck in the universe that He created. Solomon said to Jehovah:

"Will God truly dwell upon the earth? Look! The heavens, yes the heaven of the heavens cannot contain you...!" (IKings 8:27)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Dimmesdale wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:13 pm Disclaimer though: I am not a Christian. I just find this fascinating.
Since you are not a Christian, it might be a idea to learn the basics about the Christianity as presented in the bible.
  • God isnt a "trinity" - see Deuteronomy 6:4
  • The holy spirit is a force not a person - see Ecclesiastes 12:7
  • Jesus is not For he is not equal to his Father - see John 14:28.

Almighty God has a name ... JEHOVAH (Hebrew YHWH) see Psalm 83:18 King James Version

Dimmesdale wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:13 pm If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd welcome in-put. ...
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #5

Post by Dimmesdale »

I should have added another condition to my post.

I am not interested in debating Christianity. In this post I take it for granted that traditional, orthodox Christianity is correct, and I want to draw out the implications thereof. I am interested in what we can draw out theologically and philosophically. I am NOT interested in debating which Christianity is correct. For that, please leave this thread. Thank you.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:50 pm I should have added another condition to my post.

...In this post I take it for granted that traditional, orthodox Christianity is correct, and I want to draw out the implications thereof. I am interested in what we can draw out theologically and philosophically. I am NOT interested in debating which Christianity is correct.
Well if there is an eternal hell from which tormented souls cannot escape (as "traditional Christianity" teaches) I think we can conclude it is repulsive to most normal non pyscopathic people. And the implication thereof is its eventual decline is only to be anticipated celebrated.

A truine god could manifest in whatever form he so chooses, so yes, he could incarnate as his own Son, the implications being he would appeal to those that find such an illogical and pointless manifestation appealing. Also it would make Him similar to the pagan gods that appeared to humans in many forms such as as animals, the implications being perhaps that Christianity appeals to pagans without imposing too great a theological shift. (For example Roman god Jupiter, appeared disguised as a swan)

Source : https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/20/woman-lo ... t-8157642/
Dimmesdale wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:13 pm....If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd welcome in-put.
See above

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Dimmesdale in post #5]

No comment on post #3 ?

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #8

Post by LittleNipper »

You ALL may just wish to regard the following: https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/ ... n-john-173

The TRINITY is not a simple possibility, but a complex absolute. We are either saved by GOD HIMSELF or we are saved through some created being. I believe former. We could only be saved through GOD HIMSELF. The TRINITY is the Revelation that the MESSIAH is in fact GOD who took on flesh to dwell among men and save that which was lost.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #9

Post by Dimmesdale »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:08 am "Will God truly dwell upon the earth? Look! The heavens, yes the heaven of the heavens cannot contain you...!" (IKings 8:27)
That quotation doesn't say God can't incarnate. Only that God in all his manifold power and majesty isn't able to be limited by the earth or temporal sphere. Not even the heavens can contain God, with which I agree. God is infinite. So how can any finite sphere be his eternal residence? Even Christianity says there will be a new heaven and new earth. The material world is not suitable for God, but that doesn't mean he cannot visit here temporarily.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:49 pm You ALL may just wish to regard the following: https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/ ... n-john-173

The TRINITY is not a simple possibility, but a complex absolute. We are either saved by GOD HIMSELF or we are saved through some created being. I believe former. We could only be saved through GOD HIMSELF. The TRINITY is the Revelation that the MESSIAH is in fact GOD who took on flesh to dwell among men and save that which was lost.
So why didnt Jesus explain this himself? Why did Jesus ONLY ever speak of himself as the SON of God (never YHWH Jehovah himself)? Why is all this rhetoric that the Messiah is Almighty God Himself and there is no possibility of salvation unless YHWH dies entirely missing from scripture?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.