Should Christians destroy Satanic displays?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Why can't people worship Satan in America? Why does this guy think he needs to police people's religious choices?

It sounds like he's a bigot. Is he opening up the idea that we should destroy everything that offends us?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Should Christians destroy Satanic displays?

Post #2

Post by boatsnguitars »

It's interesting. Christians will defend genocide in the Bible, but not civil disobedience?
Also, it seems they often argue their beliefs ought to be forced on children in school as free speech, but seem to feel others don't have that right.

What does the Bible say? Isn't there a single interpretation that all Christians agree on?
― Omar Khayyâm

historia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by historia »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:15 am
No.
Why can't people worship Satan in America?
They can.
Why does this guy think he needs to police people's religious choices?
To be frank, "this guy," Michael Cassidy, seems a bit confused about this so-called "Satanic" display and the atheist group behind it. It seems to me the whole point of these type of public displays is to reinforce the idea of the separation of church and state, which Cassidy is ironically highlighting through his actions.
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:59 pm
Christians will defend genocide in the Bible, but not civil disobedience?
Christians often defend civil disobedience.
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:59 pm
Also, it seems they often argue their beliefs ought to be forced on children in school as free speech, but seem to feel others don't have that right.
I'm not sure what the first part of this statement is supposed to refer to. But the CBN host in the video above specifically mentions that there are a lot of Christians who oppose what Cassidy did on the grounds of religious freedom. So this, like your other sweeping generalizations, seems misplaced.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

Christians were solely responsible for changing the words to the Pledge of Allegiance to include "God" and forced it to be recited in school. They have waged a war against non-Christians from day one, and to this day argue that "Jesus needs to be put back in the schools."

I think you are being naive if you think Christians don't think every other religion is false, evil and dangerous to society.

But, perhaps you are a like warm Christian who doesn't think people's souls are at risk and they don't need to find Jesus, so long as you save your own skin?
― Omar Khayyâm

historia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by historia »

boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:33 pm
Christians were solely responsible for changing the words to the Pledge of Allegiance to include "God" and forced it to be recited in school.
Okay, but belief in God is not unique to Christianity, and this was never advanced as an issue of "freedom of speech," so your description above is rather confused.
They have waged a war against non-Christians from day one
I must have missed that part in the gospels where Jesus and the disciples engaged in pitched battles with non-Christians.
I think you are being naive if you think Christians don't think every other religion is false, evil and dangerous to society.
I have no doubt that there are some Christians who hold views like that. But your comment has no such qualifier, and so you are making a sweeping generalization here about Christians in general.

But this generalization is simply untenable. Consider, for example, Nostra Aetate, the "Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions," the Roman Catholic Church's official declaration on how it views other religions. That text extols various aspects of Hinduism, Buddhism, and in particular Islam and Judaism. It says:
Nostra Aetate wrote:
The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men . . . .

The Church, therefore, exhorts her sons, that through dialogue and collaboration with the followers of other religions, carried out with prudence and love and in witness to the Christian faith and life, they recognize, preserve and promote the good things, spiritual and moral, as well as the socio-cultural values found among these men.
That doesn't in any way sound like your characterization of Christians as thinking all others religions are "evil and dangerous to society." In fact, quite the opposite. And, since Roman Catholics make up a majority of Christians, if your comment isn't true of Roman Catholicism, then it doesn't accurately describe Christians in general.

Here, as elsewhere on this site, you have this troubling habit of describing groups of people you disagree with -- be it on religious or political grounds -- using sweeping, negative generalizations. This is irresponsible rhetoric. Do better.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #6

Post by LittleNipper »

Why can't people worship Satan in America? Why does this guy think he needs to police people's religious choices?

It sounds like he's a bigot. Is he opening up the idea that we should destroy everything that offends us?
What is wrong with destroying a Nazi display? They are both one and the same...

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

LittleNipper wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:22 am

Nice try. The Nazis were Christians so not likely to worship Satan.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

I agree with Tcg's response, but, let's go with your "logic": then it's OK to destroy anything a person doesn't like? That's the morality you'd like the world to follow?

I mean, that's what Jesus taught by overturning the 'displays' in the Temple, right? Why not destroy all displays - like Nativity Scenes, Crucifixes, Churches, etc... Right?

After all: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #9

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm

I agree with Tcg's response, but, let's go with your "logic": then it's OK to destroy anything a person doesn't like? That's the morality you'd like the world to follow?

I mean, that's what Jesus taught by overturning the 'displays' in the Temple, right? Why not destroy all displays - like Nativity Scenes, Crucifixes, Churches, etc... Right?

After all: “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”
It's all about what is being promoted. What does SATANISM promote? What does Christianity promote? What did Nazism promote? What did the allies do to the Nazi insignia?

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #10

Post by LittleNipper »

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:19 pm

Nice try. The Nazis were Christians so not likely to worship Satan.

Tcg
The Nazi's were not Christians. The proof was in the pudding. Did they hang pastors and priests? Did they hate GOD's CHOSEN PEOPLE? Did they believe that salvation came from CHRIST JESUS or NAZI doctrine? Did they believe in freedom of speech or only party line propaganda?