Should Christians destroy Satanic displays?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Should Christians destroy Satanic displays?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Why can't people worship Satan in America? Why does this guy think he needs to police people's religious choices?

It sounds like he's a bigot. Is he opening up the idea that we should destroy everything that offends us?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Should Christians destroy Satanic displays?

Post #21

Post by boatsnguitars »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #17]

But Hitler wasn't Nazism. He was the craven politician that used the church as a means to the end, because Nazism was wrapped up with Christianity.

Trump is also an atheist, most likely by the credible accounts we here, but the doesn't mean Trumpism doesn't include Christianity.
The Protestant ‘German Christians’ were the most passionate supporters of the new regime. The movement had arisen out of the Protestant dislike of the Weimar Republic and represented extreme nationalistic views within the Protestant Church. Its leading theologians were determined to Germanise Christianity and debated issues such as whether Jesus was an Aryan or a Jew, and whether to eliminate the Old Testament as an overtly Jewish book.
Although they seem far-fetched, such ideas proved popular and ‘German Christians’ won a majority in Protestant Church elections throughout Germany in July 1933. Hitler decided to use the ‘German Christian’ movement to help him ‘co-ordinate’ the Lutheran Churches, and he secured the election of Reich Bishop Müller as the leader of all 28 Protestant Churches.
― Omar Khayyâm

historia
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by historia »

LittleNipper wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:38 pm
Atheists do not accept the notion of a CREATOR and they wish to prevent anyone else from being so exposed.
While I suppose some atheists might not want anyone exposed to the notion of a Creator, I don't see any evidence that atheists in general hold that opinion.

I'm going to make the same comment here that I made to boatsnguitars above (see post #5): You're making a sweeping, negative generalization regarding a group of people you disagree with. That is irresponsible rhetoric.
LittleNipper wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:38 pm
One doesn't honestly pretend to be of some faith of which one isn't affiliated in order to make a truly valid point.
The Satanic Temple isn't pretending to be of a different faith. Satan functions as a metaphor within their religion. They just don't believe the things you assumed they would. That's your fault, not theirs.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #23

Post by oldbadger »

historia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:29 pm
While I suppose some atheists might not want anyone exposed to the notion of a Creator, I don't see any evidence that atheists in general hold that opinion.
Atheism does not accept the concept of an involved or interested god, has no afalliatipn to theistic ideas at all.

Same goes for Deism, and in our deistical case we accept that every thing and force is part of god .....that is all.
The Satanic Temple isn't pretending to be of a different faith. Satan functions as a metaphor within their religion. They just don't believe the things you assumed they would. That's your fault, not theirs.
Satanism is a theistic belief. It believes in a supreme involved god, Satan

historia
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by historia »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:03 am
Satanism is a theistic belief.
Not typically. The religious group that set-up this statue in Iowa practices atheistic Satanism.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #25

Post by oldbadger »

historia wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:55 pm
oldbadger wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:03 am
Satanism is a theistic belief.
Not typically. The religious group that set-up this statue in Iowa practices atheistic Satanism.
'Atheistic Satanism' is a perfect example of a contradiction of terms.
If this groups adores or follows Satan then it is a theistic group, because Satan is both a kind of god or because the very recognition of Satan admits a god which Satan is versed against. So these folks would admit to an aware and involved godhead.

But if this group does not recognise a real Satan then it might as well think up some other title completely.

But it's nothing for me to get too excited about because, for example, the present definition of deism in most dictionaries is that it is a form of theism, when in fact those two terms are the exact opposite of each other. The world may sort itself out in time, I guess. :D

Muckman
Student

Post #26

Post by Muckman »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #25]

Well then - did he get arrested? Is it OK for Satanist to destroy Christian symbol's like CHURCHES?

Muckman
Student

Post #27

Post by Muckman »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #21]
Sorry big guy but you'll never convince many of us that Trump was or is an Atheist.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #28

Post by oldbadger »

Muckman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 pm [Replying to oldbadger in post #25]

Well then - did he get arrested? Is it OK for Satanist to destroy Christian symbol's like CHURCHES?
People who commit criminal damage should be convicted, not just arrested!
Do you understand that an arrest means very little unless it leads to a conviction or formal caution?

oldbadger
Guru

Post #29

Post by oldbadger »

Muckman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:56 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #21]
Sorry big guy but you'll never convince many of us that Trump was or is an Atheist.
I'm some other guy, but let me answer...ok?

Trump might believe in a God but since he is surrounded by mammon, has been 'found against' in sex-scandal crimes and seems to hold up bibles just for political purposes........... he might be a theist but I would seriously wonder what branch of Christianity he might belong to. Jesus has spoken out against unreasonable wealth too often to be ignored. True?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by boatsnguitars »

Muckman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:56 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #21]
What gives you the impression he believes there is anyone greater than himself?

Believe me, I'd love to find out he's a Theist. One more thing to find wrong about Theism, however, I don't see anything that indicates he even knows that Theism is.
― Omar Khayyâm