How exactly did Jesus resurrection happen❓

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #1

Post by The Nice Centurion »

If a world religion claimed that 2000 years ago someone built a time machine, then people would fall over their own feet to constantly ask: "How excactly did this time machine work?"

But now we have in the bible a a main protagonist resurrect from being dead and no one, neither Christian nor Sceptic ever, bothers to ask:
"How exactly did Jesus resurrection happen?"

Marvel fans are known to intensively debate questions like:
"How exactly does Spidermans power of sticking to walls and ceilings work?"

But no one on earth gives a damn about how exactly worked "The Resurrection"!

My first question for debate: Why is that so❓

Now lets first see what "resurrection" is supposed to mean.

First: A resurrected being in the bible is not undead like Count Dracula as a Vampyre, who has no biological bodily functions anymore and is kept undead alive by magic alone.

A truly resurrected being is supposed to have regained live and full biological bodily functions out of the state of being truly dead.
And he is therefore not being kept alive by magic alone, though magic m i g h t have triggered his resurrection.

Everyone agrees that Jesus is supposed to have been "really dead" ! By current medical definition that does mean already brain dead.

This is the state anyone must reach to honestly resurrect.
For we have semi dead people waking up from clinical death all the time and no one is claiming miracle of resurrection for them.

But lets see what naturally happens after brain death:
"Decomposition (of the brain) often occurs within minutes after death, which is quicker than other body tissues, likely because the brain is about 80% water. Rotting starts in normal ambient temperature at about 3 days, and the brain is essentially vaporized within 5-10 years."

Said all that we can begin trying to find out how Jesus resurrection might have happened in detail.

Bible gives a hint by intensively implicating that Jesus resurrection was triggered by magic.

Bible explains that Jesus died sometime P.M. during first day, was dead the whole second day and resurrected on third day before daybreak.
(Lets say he was dead for somewhat 36 hours.)

Now, said all that; What is possible?

Magic, as the Great Joe Quesada stated when he destroyed the Spiderman comic series for the fans, must not be explained.

But what that magic did do can be researched.

Did magic stop Jesus brain and therefore his body too from decomposing, kept it in a somewhat timeless state and make him arise 36 hours later?

Did Jesus naturally decompose and magic made him re-decompose later to let him be able to better resurrect?

And then we have still the problem that Jesus died supposedly on the cross because fatal hurts and woundings to his body caused his heart to stop.

How therefore did his body compensate this fatal wounds, to still be able to resurrect?

I will stop here explaining, starting the debate with the second and main question:

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How exactly did Jesus resurrection happen❓

Post #111

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:30 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:24 am You did not have it,
You think people can't read my posts? :D
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:24 ambut let's say it was there.
1213 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:15 am Matt.28:8 And going away from the tomb quickly, with fear and great joy, they ran to report to His disciples.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:24 amIt contradicts John who says that Mary (and the one with her) "We" do not know where they have laid him.
A person can say "we", even if all of them are not around.
I'm sure people can read your posts as well as I can and, unless my eyes are worse than I thought, the did what is called in the trade 'Weaving together': taking the account and putting it together to make a halfway coherent narrative, though this means that you have to put together running away in great joy to tell the disciples and running away in fear and not saying anything, and pretending they are the same thing. But mainly it requires you to leave out any real contradictions, which is bad enough, but then you have the impudence to deny it. Even after I pasted your post and pointed out there were not there.

Your point about 'We' is fair enough. Your adulterated post has Mary Magdalene rushing off before anything else, though it ignores that Matthew says the angel was outside so Mary should have seen him even if she ran off right away. But worst is that you omit the 'We' that is needed for your adaptation - Luke saying it wasn't just the two Marys, but all others. But you left it out because it says that bit was Mary Magdalene together with all the others who told the disciples all they had seen. Never mind leaving out Cleophas telling Jesus what they had seen, which was a vision of angels who said that Jesus was alive but NOT that they had run into Jesus which is what Matthew says they did.

Though you put Mary (in John) rushing off right away and saying 'We' (speaking for the others - I get that) don't know where 'they' have laid him, you leave out that John has no angel sitting outside delivering his message as in Matthew, though Mark and Luke have the angel or two inside.

I can read and think as well as you so I can see the idea is to scrap Matthew's daft descending angel outside, as well as the Marys running into Jesus as well as Luke saying it was Mary Magdalene and the others relating what they had seen (a vision of angels who said Jesus was alive). But this requires you to simply omit what you think are mistakes. Is this not what you are doing? But then you have to scrap Matthew's credibility and also Luke. You cannot get to credibly cherry pick which bits of the Bible you like and rewrite the other wits.

By omitting the contradictions, you confess they are contradictions, and you cannot explain them. That is what people can read in your posts, if they are not also blinkered by Biblefaith.

I would very much like to know where you read this excuse for an apologetic, asI hever heard it before, but then everyone was using it. I suspect some crafty apologist came up with that excuse, but I can never get anyone to tell em where.

cue: O:) trying to play the 'eyewitness discrepancy' card. Yes, memory is notoriously bad especially in times of confusion and related some time after. But this is why I have 'Biggies' - you do not forget that you ran into Jesus while going into considerable detail about everything else. Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I put it to you that this witness testimony is too discrepant to be credited.

Savant

Post #112

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 am ...though it ignores that Matthew says the angel was outside so Mary should have seen him even if she ran off right away....
No good reason to think Mary should have seen the angel before she went. She was on hurry and it is possible that the angel was not yet there to be seen.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amBut worst is that you omit the 'We' that is needed for your adaptation - Luke saying it wasn't just the two Marys, but all others. But you left it out because it says that bit was Mary Magdalene together with all the others who told the disciples all they had seen.
They all told what they had seen. But, that does not mean their path could not have been different.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amThough you put Mary (in John) rushing off right away and saying 'We' (speaking for the others - I get that) don't know where 'they' have laid him, you leave out that John has no angel sitting outside delivering his message as in Matthew, though Mark and Luke have the angel or two inside.
I think people should understand that the Gospels are witness testimonies that don't have all possible information. They tell only part of a bigger story and are like small pieces of bigger image. When you understand that, you can also fit them together without contradictions. But, obviously I don't think you want that. It seems to me that for some reason you want to see it in contradictory way.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amYou cannot get to credibly cherry pick which bits of the Bible you like and rewrite the other wits.
I am not rewriting anything. Just telling that the gospels are not absolutes, only parts of a bigger story. If one gospel doesn't mention something, it doesn't mean it never happened. They are not exclusionary stories. So, I would like to hear, why do you claim that they are exclusionary, when no Biblical reason to think so?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #113

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:57 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 am ...though it ignores that Matthew says the angel was outside so Mary should have seen him even if she ran off right away....
No good reason to think Mary should have seen the angel before she went. She was on hurry and it is possible that the angel was not yet there to be seen.
Matthew says it was outside and spoke to invite them in. Luke says that Mary Magdalene and the others saw all this, and later Cleophas says what they saw - a vision of angels that saidJjesus was alive, but no mention of the women running into Jesus. You are selecting and inventing to try to eliminate clear contradictions.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amBut worst is that you omit the 'We' that is needed for your adaptation - Luke saying it wasn't just the two Marys, but all others. But you left it out because it says that bit was Mary Magdalene together with all the others who told the disciples all they had seen.
They all told what they had seen. But, that does not mean their path could not have been different.
Except the Bible does not say so, does it? So you are making stuff up, aren't you. In any case, Cleophas makes it clear he hears the women's reports (and Luke says it was all including Mary Magdalene) who saw the angel(s) and heard the message - so should have reported running into Jesus. Fiddle and fudge as you like, you can't get over it. You know that, which is why you left it out - and then denied you had left anything out. :D Dude, it's disgraceful.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amThough you put Mary (in John) rushing off right away and saying 'We' (speaking for the others - I get that) don't know where 'they' have laid him, you leave out that John has no angel sitting outside delivering his message as in Matthew, though Mark and Luke have the angel or two inside.
I think people should understand that the Gospels are witness testimonies that don't have all possible information. They tell only part of a bigger story and are like small pieces of bigger image. When you understand that, you can also fit them together without contradictions. But, obviously I don't think you want that. It seems to me that for some reason you want to see it in contradictory way.
So you give up. You are (tacitly) conceding the contradiction. Now you try to wave it away. But you cannot wave away that Matthew says the women (even if it wasn't all of them) ran slap into Jesus. When Cleophas reported the women had seen angels and heard the message (all or just some of them) he must have heard they had met Jesus as Matthew says, and you cannot honestly propose that it slipped his mind. It nails in that Luke and Matthew contradict on that huge claim and that means all the other contradictions become valid, too. Including John not even having an angelic explanation.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 amYou cannot get to credibly cherry pick which bits of the Bible you like and rewrite the other wits.
I am not rewriting anything. Just telling that the gospels are not absolutes, only parts of a bigger story. If one gospel doesn't mention something, it doesn't mean it never happened. They are not exclusionary stories. So, I would like to hear, why do you claim that they are exclusionary, when no Biblical reason to think so?
Yes you are. You are rewriting by leaving out bits you don't like (the women running into Jesus) and inventing stuff the Bible doesn't say - the women split up. What has 'exclusionary' to do with anything? I am comparing side by side - as you are, but I don't invent or omit stuff; you do.

Savant

Post #114

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:32 am ...You are rewriting by leaving out bits you don't like (the women running into Jesus) and inventing stuff the Bible doesn't say - the women split up. What has 'exclusionary' to do with anything?
Bible doesn't say that they could not have split up. It is probably that it happened. And when it is not directly said that it didn't happen, it is making stuff up to claim it didn't happen, especially when John suggests it happened.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #115

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Every reason. Luke says Mary Magdalene and all the others saw these things. And there is nothing in the account to say that she ran away before the others. Also Matthew says the angel was outside and delivered the message before anyone ran away. You are making stuff up to get rid of the contradictions. It is not a question of inventing stuff to suit yourself, but you are leaving out the bits of the gospels that contradict that.

You also play the unreliable witness card but that doesn't answer when it says that the women ran into Jesus to report to the disciples and Luke not only says it was Mary Magdalene and the others reportsthat but Cleophas related what they said - a vision of angels who said Jesus was alive, but no mention of running into Jesus. It is perverse of you to suggest they remembered the angels and message but forgot meeting Jesus. I'd still be interested to know where you get these putrid excuses. Do you make them up or borrow themfrom apologetics books or websites?

And you are rewriting, ormaking stuff up The Bible says nothing at all about the women splitting up. I get it - you have to rewrite it to try to make it work, but the excuses, invention and omissions you have to make to do it do not create a great impression. Mind, you are in good company. All Christianity does this and have had to do it ever since people began putting their doubts online.

It doesn't even matter. I doubt that you will ever concede the point, but others looking in will see that real contradictions are there despite Bible -apologist denial.

Parts of a bigger story! :D Yes I have heard that one before. Put it through Gooble translate "Theist - English "The Bible should be read with Faith".

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #116

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:37 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:32 am ...You are rewriting by leaving out bits you don't like (the women running into Jesus) and inventing stuff the Bible doesn't say - the women split up. What has 'exclusionary' to do with anything?
Bible doesn't say that they could not have split up. It is probably that it happened. And when it is not directly said that it didn't happen, it is making stuff up to claim it didn't happen, especially when John suggests it happened.

Bible does not say that Jesus could not have survived crucifixion and when Joseph and Nicodemus went to check, they found him alive and he was up and about Sunday. It does not say a lot of things could not have happened, but you do not get to make stuff up without good reason (Faithbased denial is not one) and omit evidence you don't like. The way it works is, you look at all the evidence,not just pick the bits you like, ignore the bits you don't and make up what's missing.

I repeat, it doesn't matter that you refuse to even concede that I have a point (there are real contradictions); what matters is that I can make the point to anyone with their mind's still ajar but who might have been lied to by other Bible apologists and show their excuses are hogwash.

UnObt-137

Post #117

Post by UnObt-137 »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #1]

I would like an opportunity to present an explanation for the Resurrection that is already contained within Scripture. I will need to excavate around the wording to highlight the structure. I have not seen any attempt to consolidate all the miracles with a single model and there is not enough detail to force that issue in every instance. This is a Scriptural accounting of supernature so I know I will not remove scientific objections and the violations of such and such conservation and I am not qualified to debate those anyway. Nothing I can say will remove the issue of faith as required by the text because that would be a paradox.

The specific word choices and editing of Scripture (OT/NT) by multiple individuals and groups over a millenia produced a self-consistent method for understanding the supernatural. Where details are given the miracles described within it could be primarily composed of interactions with anachronisms. Anachronisms are actual objects and events that previously occurred and that source restricts supernatural activity to a true, underlying, local reality. This is one of the simplest, most plausible, and natural explanations possible (see Occam’s Razor). Im rather flabbergasted that this kind of “reverse engineering” works very, very well in explaining and containing something that people have speculated about for more than a millenia. To me, factual content such as this and the consistency of this mechanism’s usage throughout the Old and New Testament then segregates The Bible from imaginative works like Grimm’s fairy tales and speaks to its authenticity.

Example: Instead of walking on water Jesus walks on the Plain of Galilee which subsided over time to the current ~250 m below sea level and has filled over with water. “The surface” is historically there at 210, -150, -10, -2m at various intervals in history. Obviously to me, an amateur student of geology, the most plausible, believable mechanism is that the apostles witness Jesus somehow interacting with the anachronism of a previous dry land surface just above or below the existing waterline. That somehow is still supernatural, but His footsteps are rooted and conditional to reality not fantasy.

To my understanding, this explanation requires the concept of block time for previous history to remain in existence to supernaturally affect the present moment. I also assume that the information of natural physics processes are stored in the temporal, aged properties of our environment. Therefore historical information is not lost and is accessible everywhere and also everywhen to enable supernatural events.

The structure of the example is now repeatable as an explanation forming a group of similar Biblical miracle accounts on the basis of geologic recurrences and because they recur across time we no longer care when they actually happened relative to the present moment:
The Red Sea was dammed up by an eruption of Mt. Perim, it dried up and could be crossed, and was shallower due to tectonic anti-rifting over time. The axe head called by Elisha did not float but rose up onto a previous creek bottom that existed before it eroded. A regular earthquake leveled the walls of Jericho from a very active fault region of the globe (a triple junction BTW). Water sprung from rocks that were once an aquifer when Moses struck it with his staff. Prehistoric trees- fossilized by those same aquifers in the matrix rock- once stood tall on the paleosurface the Exodus Hebrews were wandering on in Riyadh and perhaps dropped their strange, historic “first Cretaceous Era starchy fruit” as manna (KJV). Manna- when alternatively described as ‘flakes’(NIV)- is consistent with the living cambium layer of those trees that was shed for you and for all people according to their need. And one the best examples is that even today salt pillars grow where Lot’s wife turned to witness God's remediation of evil, as the mineral content in that geologic basin still has no outlet to the sea.

The repeatability allows another type of subgroup to be defined which are objects already in vessels of all types:
Herodotus Book III describes how Egyptian wine vats were conscripted to be taken into the deserts of Syria to be filled with water for pharaoh’s armies. It makes perfect sense to say a similar swapping of contents historically occurs at the wedding of Cana. That means that the oil and flour for Elijah, the fish and loaves at the sermon, and the air in Jonah’s lungs are all also examples of reworking of existing historic forms not the inner workings of human imagination about what magic can do. We then have a basis to extrapolate to all other miracles.

I can continue to spell it all out on a case by case basis, but leave it to the reader to make their own assessment. You shouldn't need my help to say that wet wood placed on an altar is ignited by all the other sacrificial fires that had burned there. We also now know how capable the human immune response is -with repetition- and what access to pre-developmental stem cells might achieve as far as healing the body. The lack of details about healings leave us unable to force one answer above another and there is no resounding historical referencing in the text. In one instance of retroactivity though- the case of healing the blind man- I feel that Scripture is deliberately recalling Adam's formation when Jesus spits in the dirt and reworks the clay of his eyes like a potter.
From the very first, though, The Word offers believers all the iterations and variations of form necessary to reconstruct this mechanism in sum- we have Joshua’s literal plea for time itself that extends the day to the obvious literal repeating of oil and flour day to day. Anachronisms, like seeing a bush burning in a wildfire across time and the snake that liked to sun itself on Aaron's staff, are the best universal and natural explanatory tool for all supernatural events. (1.)

Now going out of the text- How did the secular advisors to pharaoh find magic sticks to snakes to challenge Moses and can I connect this with my own experience in the modern era?

The mechanism can even help us understand secular supernatural magical events like pulling rabbits out of the hat (aka snakes from sticks again), ghosts of past spirits, déjà vu, feelings of reincarnation, and maybe even kharma if you consider how past information can be present in the moment. These reports from various times and cultures can laterally support the eyewitness accounts in Scripture. For me, the mechanism is even observable at an everyday of detail and I can attest to experiencing some time distortions, glitches, or the displacement of objects in my world that I would swear I moved yet remain “undone” under scrutiny. I attribute this to faulty human recall. I say “Man , time flies!” or “Man, that took forever!” as ordinary temporal distortions in my worldview. I witness other minor paranormal events of swearing I saw someone walk by or I heard footsteps downstairs when nothing was there and, upon inspection, I dismissed that as faulty mental wiring too. When I read stories across the internet I find many similar reports of other people who are observing quirks that they cannot fully explain or put their finger on. The Louisville slugger next to their bed stands as a testament to their belief and frequency of their observations. All of these instances paint a picture of mediocrity and ubiquity where the miraculous jumps and bumps of time are just an ordinary quanta in daily life. It feels ludicrous to promote these things to the level of miracle such is my casual dismissal of them. Obviously, if serious cases of possession, déjà vu , feelings of reincarnation, and these everyday observations of distortions are explained by encounters with atemporal information in my environment I can conclude that I have internal receptors capable of misleading me anywhen. Most often it is minor and casually dismissed, sometimes it is miraculous... Since time itself is the source of these anomalies – occurring both internal and externally -and history and ‘block time’ are generally unavailable, I find the repeatable assessment of the supernatural content of nature difficult and the presence of its source unavoidable in every context.

So I personally opt to turn back to Scripture in the days of Noah when God imparted this universal supernature on His Creation in the very first miracle causing it to appear distorted. Scripture seems to imply that in order to ‘start over’ God reaches backwards in the clockwork – similarly as in the day of Joshua- to recall the conditions of Genesis 1. I choose the mechanics that God recalls the waters for the Flood from where they were divided in the Days of Creation. Thus, in sum, God provided this written formula in the language of the first instance in the act of the remediation of evil from the world over. Because of the consistency of withdrawing from previous reality I find that the method of salvation, The Resurrection, the victory in the Holy Land, the fish and loaves, and reports of certain supernatural events from all over the world, at all historic times, are the same pool of equally valid eyewitness accounts when I see they are taken from reality following God’s provided formula in the first...

But wait Jesus’ incarnation did not have ‘a history’ to come from! That can’t fit mechanically, right? This hypothetical reconstruction of events below is as it occurred to me and may contain superfluous ideas:

I invite you to consider that Pope Exiguus tells us 500 years later to switch the method of counting years at His Birth from A.D to B.C and invert the direction of our thinking. If I tried to talk you into this anti-doctrine you would think I was mad. But science recognizes inversions, x^-1, complex conjugates, CPT symmetry, etc. and perhaps His life shows again the reason for the mechanism itself. Since the body of Christ is the miracle it must follow the retroactive pattern too. Many of you are familiar with the grandfather paradox from discussions of Relativity. It is when you go back in time and accidentally kill your grandfather. Why not apply that logic here? I mean it is like that that the body of Christ is going backward in time in Mary’s womb. Mary ‘s body is just a type 2 subgroup vessel like Jonah’s lungs. If Jesus is conceived but never implants the uterus He can ‘die’ in utero, be adsorbed, and be resurrected into Mary’s womb at any prior time to fulfill this supernatural condition. Since He is moving backwards isn't the cause/effect of Him (because Mary is in Communion with His Body) like trans-tempo-substantiation? He then arrives at the temporal legal boundary of the betrothal process accordingly having been spawned as their first child. They had to have faith that it made and would make sense in the long run in order to stay together as a couple. That to me answers the paradoxes and accusations about the virgin birth and the holy couple that have been debated for 2 millenia. If Mary and Joseph are allowed to consummate their marriage per custom after the fact then Jesus’ life has a symmetry. Jesus is resurrected into Mary’s womb and Joseph’s tomb (of Arimathea). Adopting this retrograde motion tells me Jesus refers to it when taken literally- “If a man is not born again..” and His path into incarnation perhaps became part the foundation of His Salvation teaching. It was difficult to find that scenario, to see how the pattern was fulfilled in Nicodemus’ question, and I felt it was reasonable to assert when it removed all the old arguments about the holy couple. Joseph was necessary to fulfill the XY chromosome of nature, but isn't the father of His Life. Mary was made worthy by Communion with Christ across time rather than needing it upfront. Jesus is a literal and figurative miscarriage of justice. Through this mechanism, knowing how every other miracle counted, made all the other answers clearer to me and justifies me in my unorthodox thinking. A typical Christian cannot get here unless they are willing to cross that line and follow the implications like a scientist would. Can we now, with this understanding, cross the threshold from miraculous to ordinary from then to now?

1. The talking serpent in Eden , Balaam’s talking donkey, and the statue that speaks in Revelations are not directly supported by Scripture or scientific data in favor of this idea due to a lack of detail. These require a special address that I think is convoluted, debatable, goes against even more doctrine and/or science, and boils down to accepting that this universal answer is intrinsically the most plausible. Trying to explain and incorporate them amidst these new ideas would be a stumbling block. I acknowledge that they are a small representation of miracles that can’t truly be decided mechanically with the information given but are made to fit.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #118

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I think people should understand that the Gospels are witness testimonies that don't have all possible information. They tell only part of a bigger story and are like small pieces of bigger image. When you understand that, you can also fit them together without contradictions.
Well put! It can be illustrated by the story of "the blind men and the elephant" where truthful and accurate but limited testimony leaves the reader to harmonise all the information to get "the big picture".

Is it possible to harmonize the four different gospel accounts of the resurrection?
viewtopic.php?p=1125082#p1125082
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #119

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:18 pm
I think people should understand that the Gospels are witness testimonies that don't have all possible information. They tell only part of a bigger story and are like small pieces of bigger image. When you understand that, you can also fit them together without contradictions.
Well put! It can be illustrated by the story of "the blind men and the elephant" where truthful and accurate but limited testimony leaves the reader to harmonise all the information to get "the big picture".

Is it possible to harmonize the four different gospel accounts of the resurrection?
viewtopic.php?p=1125082#p1125082
The apologetic about what Mary Magdalene saw and said about when she had seen as an excuse does not work for a number of reasons.

The resurrection accounts contradict. That is several supposed eyewitnesses talk of the trunk (by analogy what she had seen and heard and not seen). You cannot say that these are different parts of the 'elephant' as they have to be the same part described differently. Thus they do not have hold of the trunk, but their own imaginations about it. The Luke version says Mary Magdalene (specifically) plus the others saw the angel or angels (I'll pass over that) who said Jesus had risen but says nothing about running into Jesus. This is confirmed in what Cleophas says about it. Mathew says they ran slap bang into Jesus on the way to report to the disciples. This is one contradiction. All talking about the same 'part of the elephant'.

John has Mary Magdalene (and by 'we' implies one other at least was with her) and she must have looked in the tomb to see that Jesus was gone. She has heard no angelic explanation (indeed John gives none) and certainly doesn't see Jesus until (John says) the disciples and Mary had gone to check the tomb. Cleophas must have heard what they had to say when they reported back. There is no way it can be excused by arguing that Mary Magdalene did not return the same way as the others (1) or by arguing that they all saw different bits of the action or had forgotten bits or didn't think bits were worth mentioning or other aspects of the bits of the elephant analogy. It is undeniably the same bit and should have described it at least credibly as the same experience.

I sympathise with believers who dearly want to have it work, somehow, but that's as much as I can do to understand why apologists deceive themselves and try to deceive others about what the Bible clearly states. Here I stand and can do no other, and must point that this is a real, serious and terminal contradiction that must show the accounts are made up, certainly in this matter.

It is not the only such contradiction but it is (with the test case of the contradictory nativities) the one that (rather like the cetan sequence validated speciation ;) ) makes the other contradictions (e.g the death of Judas) also invented, as a go - to hypothesis.

I anticipate denial. I can only offer a clear refutation to any browsers whose minds are still open that the apologetics claim that the contradictions are just misunderstood is not credible, and nor are the gospels.

(1) there is no reason why that should happen and so far as I know only one route from the tomb (doubtless the Lazarus tomb on the mount of Olives..if it had any factual basis) to Bethany.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #120

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to UnObt-137 in post #117]

I have to commend you for the amount of work you put in there, but I cannot go along with the explanations for miracles. Mainly (so as not to go into excessive detail) this business of suggesting natural occurrences to make these supposed miracles happen. The 'Black Sea flood' apologetic is the test case here. If that was 'Noah's Flood' (it wasn't, it was a flood in Mesopotamia first written in Sumer around 2,000 B.C) ) it may be a garbled record of an actual event but it takes God's intent out of it.

It raises the question of why such things don't happen. Finding a book gone that you put down only an hour ago won't do as these are just tricks that our mind plays on us.

And of course, if these miracles can be validated by time dilation, relativity and some kind of natural explanation, then the ones claimed in other religions are equally valid.