Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Mark 3:28-29
New International Version
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or aganst God the Father?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Eaglestarz
Student

Re: Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #41

Post by Eaglestarz »

[Replying to William in post #38]

I am in absolute agreement with myth-one.com who stated that "sin no longer affects our salvation, regardless of the timing." I believe that his statement was non-responsive to my arguments, but it is absolutely true.

I think the comment was "non-responsive" because at no point did I argue that the unpardonable sin affected our salvation.

At all times I maintained that in God's Timing, that particular sinner (suicide) would be pardoned but the sin is labeled "unpardonable" because, according to Jesus in Matthew 31:32, the pardon cannot be acquired in the realm/generation in which the sin was committed and it can't be acquired in the next.

The consequences of that sin follows that sinner for two regenerations whereas all other sins can or will be forgiven by the next regeneration.

Wootah
Savant

Post #42

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #40]

All sins against Jesus are forgivable. Yes.

The unforgivable sin is denying the Holy Spirit.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Post #43

Post by William »

[Replying to Eaglestarz in post #41]

Thanks for the explanation.
I can assume then that there is nothing more you want to say re my last answer to your other post?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

Eaglestarz
Student

Post #44

Post by Eaglestarz »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:46 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #40]

Would you please explain, pragmatically speaking, how denying the Holy Spirit is unforgivable?

For example, when Zionist Jews convert and become Messianic Jews, are they still not forgiven because they once committed the unforgivable sin?

Eaglestarz
Student

Post #45

Post by Eaglestarz »

[Replying to William in post #43]

There were only a few points that I had any response to which includes:

(1) I disagree with your conclusion that assuming the arguments in the thread to be true, there is a "growing list of sins which could become unpardonable".

I see no point in re-iterating my argument that the "unpardonable sin"(1 sin) is suicide for I see no other sin as fitting into that analysis. If you do, then show me and I'll have something to which I can respond.

(2) You stated that believing suicide to be the "unpardonable sin" could lead to emotional/mental trauma for victims and their loved ones left behind. I believe this would only be true if it is not made clear that the suicided soul will definitely be forgiven in God's Timing/two regenerations as Jesus stated.

I actually believe that this understanding actually aligns with the Truth of God's Word and should put the traumatized loved ones at rest and relieves their trauma/emotional distress whereas making up stuff that the suicided soul is instantly forgiven, only gives license to people to look to suicide as an easy way out of their difficulties in life.

(3) I cannot change your mind about the Sacredness, Sanctity or Truth of the Bible. That is something only the Holy Spirit can do for you so I won't waste too many words trying to do that. Nevertheless I chuckle at the thought of your conversion because when you see the light and become a Believer, it's a sweet piece of wonderful mind-Candy where you just know that you know the Truth. And all man's numerous interpretations and statements that could become a "stumbling block", as you put it, you feel justified in just throwing away in the trash and moving on.

(4) If you can cultivate an understanding that God, as a loving parent, has all eternity to transform an entire Creation, and not just individuals or groups, into Love. And accept that, unlike you, God is Sovereign, Omnipotent, Omniscient, and All-Knowing, your knowledge, understanding and wisdom about His compassion or lack thereof will find counsel to deal with the wickedness of this world by completely placing all your trust in Him. (Faith?)

Finally, your thoughts concerning the Bible and about God's lack of compassion baffle me because you seem so well-read on the subject matter of God and the Bible which makes me quite curious about who you really are. Anyways, I love the Lord so much ❣️ and I pray that you, too, will feel the same way about Him real soon.

Wootah
Savant

Post #46

Post by Wootah »

Eaglestarz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:24 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:46 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #40]

Would you please explain, pragmatically speaking, how denying the Holy Spirit is unforgivable?

For example, when Zionist Jews convert and become Messianic Jews, are they still not forgiven because they once committed the unforgivable sin?
All it means is that when you die is Jesus your Lord and Saviour or not. If Jesus is your Lord and Saviour then you are not committing the unforgivable sin.

Eaglestarz
Student

Post #47

Post by Eaglestarz »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 pm

All it means is that when you die is Jesus your Lord and Saviour or not. If Jesus is your Lord and Saviour then you are not committing the unforgivable sin.
So why would denying the Holy Spirit be labeled "unpardonable sin" if it can be pardoned during one's lifetime if the sinner repents during his lifetime? Seems to me that it doesn't fit the specs because Jesus said in Matt 12:32 that if it was committed, the sinner cannot be forgiven neither in this world nor in the one to come.

Wootah
Savant

Post #48

Post by Wootah »

Eaglestarz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 pm

So why would denying the Holy Spirit be labeled "unpardonable sin" if it can be pardoned during one's lifetime if the sinner repents during his lifetime? Seems to me that it doesn't fit the specs because Jesus said in Matt 12:32 that if it was committed, the sinner cannot be forgiven neither in this world nor in the one to come.
Correct. You deny Jesus (to whom the Spirit testifies), you won't be forgiven in this world or the world to come.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #49

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 pm
All sins against Jesus are forgivable....

You deny Jesus (to whom the Spirit testifies), you won't be forgiven ...
MATTHEW 12:32

whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him....
So... if you speak against Jesus (to whom the Spirit testifies), it will not be forgiven, so in what circumstance can you speak against the Son when it CAN be forgiven? Is that when Jesus doesnt have the spirit to testify for him?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Different views...re "blaspheme against the Holy Spirit"

Post #50

Post by William »

For Mark, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to denounce works of God as the works of evil. Mark even gives an explicit example of the blasphemy in verse 22: "And the scribes that came down from Jerusalem said, 'He is possessed by Beelzebub,' and, 'By the prince of the demons he casts out the demons.'" In Mark, Jesus is God's adopted, but human son (or Son). Blasphemy against any human being, even Jesus, can be forgiven. To claim that the mighty works of God the Father are demonic cannot.
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth and placed angels on the earth as caretakers under supervision of the archangel Satan. However, Satan wanted more power. He wanted to be like the most high God:
To blaspheme God's Holy Spirit means to attribute its workings to those of the Devil, and not assigning God's workings to Him. Just as the Pharisees told Jesus that he was working for Satan.
The holy spirit is God's active force. Jehovah himself is invisible and while ignorance may lead someone to blaspheme God or even Jesus, blasphemy against the holy spirit would amount to acting against the evident demonstration of God's actions.
I think to call the Holy Spirit a force is blasphemy.
Suicide is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
Denying Jesus is a sin and is unforgivable. The Holy Spirit testifies to Jesus and so denying this is unforgivable.
How to reconcile the different beliefs about this?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36