Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Mark 3:28-29
New International Version
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or aganst God the Father?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #51

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #49]

You aren't presenting a contradiction.

You are denying the Holy Spirit.

In the end we die with many sins, but the one sin that sends us to hell is denying the Holy Spirit, who testifies to Jesus.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #52

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:57 am In the end we die with many sins, but the one sin that sends us to hell is denying the Holy Spirit, who testifies to Jesus.
That I understand, my question is :

To what is Jesus refering to when he says ..."whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him" what do Jesus words here mean? Under what circumstances can one speak against Jesus and be forgiven?
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 pm
All sins against Jesus are forgivable....
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #53

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:04 am
Eaglestarz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:31 am (1) The "unpardonable sin" is suicide and it is "unpardonable" because the soul that committed the sin has transported his soul into a different dimension in which he has no memory about what he previously committed so he cannot ask for forgiveness.
I disagree. It is completely your opinion that suicide is the unpardonable sin. Not at all. There are many who will be resurrected back to life. The soul goes nowhere after death, because the "soul" is the entire person, not something that departs from the body at death. Adam became a living soul....he didn't receive one. Everything about a person, including attitudes and abilities, is the "soul." Animals are called "souls" in the Scriptures.

I have defined what the unforgivable sin is, and it is assigning to Satan the things that God has done through Christ with the Holy Spirit. I explained this in posts #4 and #14.
Last edited by onewithhim on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #54

Post by William »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #53]

You quoted me but those words are yours. :)
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

Savant

Post #55

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 am So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or against God the Father?
It is interesting that for example Green's literal says it like this:
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, not in this age nor in the coming one .
Matt. 12:32

Bible tells Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth that speaks what is from God and leads to truth. So, speaking against the Spirit, is speaking against the truth. I think that tells person is very evil. Perhaps such a person doesn't ever regret that and therefore is never forgiven.

I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counse-lor,{Greek Parakleton: Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, and Comfortor.} that he may be with you forever,-- the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
John 14:16-17
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26
When the Counselor has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will testify about me.
John 15:26
When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don't be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say."
Luke 12:11-12
However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

"Why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or against God the Father?"
This question touches on several theological and interpretative points:

Unique Role of the Holy Spirit: In Christian theology, the Holy Spirit is often seen as the active presence of God in the world, guiding believers and empowering them for spiritual life and service. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit may be considered particularly grave because it directly opposes the divine presence and work of God in people's lives.

Context from Scripture: The statement about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit originates from Jesus' teachings in the Gospels, particularly in Mark 3:22-30. In this passage, Jesus warns against attributing his miracles, performed through the power of the Holy Spirit, to demonic influence. Thus, the context suggests that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit involves a deliberate and persistent rejection of God's work and presence, which may be why it's considered unforgivable.

Denial of the Divine: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is often interpreted as a form of spiritual rebellion or rejection of God's grace. By attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to evil or denying its divine origin, individuals may effectively close themselves off to the possibility of repentance and forgiveness, leading to the notion of it being unforgivable.

The Nature of Forgiveness: Forgiveness in Christian theology is often contingent upon repentance and acceptance of God's grace. Blasphemy against Jesus or God the Father may be forgiven through genuine repentance and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice, as seen in various biblical passages. However, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which involves a persistent rejection of God's work and presence, may preclude the possibility of such repentance, leading to its characterization as unforgivable.

Theological Interpretations: Different theological traditions may offer nuanced interpretations of this concept. Some may emphasize the need for a proper understanding of the Holy Spirit's role and nature, while others may focus on the broader theological implications of blasphemy and forgiveness within the Christian faith.
For Mark, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to denounce works of God as the works of evil. Mark even gives an explicit example of the blasphemy in verse 22: "And the scribes that came down from Jerusalem said, 'He is possessed by Beelzebub,' and, 'By the prince of the demons he casts out the demons.'" In Mark, Jesus is God's adopted, but human son (or Son). Blasphemy against any human being, even Jesus, can be forgiven. To claim that the mighty works of God the Father are demonic cannot.
The bible itself may be a fabrication of humans. This would mean that such concepts as unforgivable sin and satan are themselves designed to confuse and force humans to trust in the human authority which created the bible.
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth and placed angels on the earth as caretakers under supervision of the archangel Satan. However, Satan wanted more power. He wanted to be like the most high God:
There are no direct biblical passages that explicitly state that Satan was ever in the role of caretaker. The concept of Satan serving as a caretaker of the earth is not found in Scripture. Instead, the Bible portrays Satan primarily as a rebellious and malevolent spiritual being who opposes God and seeks to deceive and lead people away from God's truth. While there are passages that describe Satan's activities and influence on earth, they do not depict him as having a role of caretaker.
To blaspheme God's Holy Spirit means to attribute its workings to those of the Devil, and not assigning God's workings to Him. Just as the Pharisees told Jesus that he was working for Satan.
The Pharisees' reaction to Jesus reflects their concern for preserving their religious authority and the established order, as well as their resistance to Jesus' radical message and challenge to their interpretation of the law. It underscores the complex dynamics of power, authority, and religious identity at play in the interactions between Jesus and the religious leaders of his time.
The holy spirit is God's active force. Jehovah himself is invisible and while ignorance may lead someone to blaspheme God or even Jesus, blasphemy against the holy spirit would amount to acting against the evident demonstration of God's actions.
In the context of discussing the unforgivable sin, it would be unwise to automatically attribute near-death experiences (NDEs) or similar spiritual encounters to demonic influence. Doing so could potentially fall into the category of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, as it involves rejecting or denying the evident workings of God's grace and presence in individuals' lives.
I think to call the Holy Spirit a force is blasphemy.
This perspective emphasizes the personhood and divine nature of the Holy Spirit, rejecting the idea of reducing it to a mere force or energy. This perspective underscores the importance of reverence, respect, and relational engagement with the Holy Spirit as an integral aspect of Christian faith and spirituality.

One might also argue as to how one can blaspheme a force/energy. One can understand blasphemy against a personality but how is one to offend electricity or any other "power"?

In considering the OP question in light of this perspective, one can appreciate the theological significance of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit within Christian doctrine and the implications of rejecting God's presence and authority in this manner. It underscores the importance of understanding the distinctiveness of the Holy Spirit as a divine person and the seriousness of denying or speaking against the divine workings and revelation of the Spirit.

More to the point, it indicates that the Holy Spirit aspect of "God" encompasses both Father and Son aspects who's characterizations give distinct positions (one is Father and the other is Son) whereas the overall focus or binding principality is The Spirit.
Suicide is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
Overall, this perspective on suicide as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit underscores the gravity of this action within Christian theology and highlights the importance of addressing mental health issues and providing support for individuals in crisis. While the linkage between suicide and blasphemy against the Holy Spirit may be contentious and open to interpretation, it reflects a broader concern for the spiritual and emotional well-being of individuals facing despair and desperation.
Denying Jesus is a sin and is unforgivable. The Holy Spirit testifies to Jesus and so denying this is unforgivable.
This aligns with Jesus' warning in the Gospels about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, where he speaks of the consequences of rejecting the Spirit's witness to his ministry and identity.

It highlights the central role of the Holy Spirit in testifying to Jesus Christ and the significance of acknowledging this testimony in one's spiritual journey. It underscores the importance of responding to God's grace with humility, faith, and obedience, recognizing the unforgivable nature of denying the testimony of the Spirit regarding Jesus.
The unforgivable sin is denying the Holy Spirit.

Overall, this perspective underscores the seriousness of denying the Holy Spirit as the unforgivable sin within Christian theology. It calls attention to the spiritual consequences of rejecting The Father's presence and working, emphasizing the need for repentance, faith, and spiritual discernment in one's relationship with The Father aspect of these three distinctions, as per The Son's witness.

Within the framework of Jungian archetypes, the roles of the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the Son within Christian theology can be understood in terms of universal symbols and patterns that shape human consciousness and spiritual experience. The Holy Spirit serves as a transformative and guiding presence, akin to the anima/animus archetype. The Father embodies wisdom, authority, and paternal guidance, akin to the wise old man archetype. And the Son represents courage, sacrifice, and redemption, akin to the hero archetype. Together, these archetypal roles enrich our understanding of the divine aspects within Christian belief and their significance in shaping human identity and spiritual development.

Within the framework of Jungian archetypes, Satan and the Pharisees represent aspects of the human psyche and collective consciousness that are essential for understanding human behavior and spiritual development. Satan embodies the shadow, representing the dark and unconscious aspects of the psyche, while the Pharisees embody the persona, representing the social mask or facade that individuals present to the world. Recognizing and integrating these archetypal figures can lead to greater self-awareness, personal growth, and psychological wholeness.
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

onewithhim
Savant

Post #57

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #53]

I'm sorry, I didn't put in the right quote brackets and letters. I was answering Eagle.

William
Savant

Post #58

Post by William »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:52 pm
William wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #53]

I'm sorry, I didn't put in the right quote brackets and letters. I was answering Eagle.
It happens. :)

"Why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or against God the Father?"
This question touches on several theological and interpretative points:

otseng
Savant

Post #59

Post by otseng »

Eaglestarz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:35 pm Nevertheless I chuckle at the thought of your conversion because when you see the light and become a Believer, it's a sweet piece of wonderful mind-Candy where you just know that you know the Truth.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid commenting about others.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.