Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Mark 3:28-29
New International Version
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or aganst God the Father?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Re: Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #31

Post by William »

Eaglestarz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:56 pm Okay William,
Eaglestarz ....
I thought over our discourse and I think I know what the issue is.
Okay...
I think you didn't read number (4) of my original comment...
Let's see now - you wrote;
(4) But because God doesn't lie, is a long -suffering Forgiver of sins and can transcend all dimensions, realms, spaces and times, Matthew 12:32 makes reference to the fact that the suicided soul will not be forgiven in the first dimension nor in the next. That statement raises a question whether he will have an opportunity to be forgiven in a dimension subsequent to that. Which question is also implied in Mark 3:29 where it is stated that the H.S. blasphemer is in "danger" of eternal damnation and not automatically eternally damned even though he has blasphemed the Holy Spirit.
Given all that, the takeaway is that "no sin is eternally unforgivable....only that such it isn't forgiven in "some dimensions", and is in others.
... and interpreted what you read of my comment to be saying that suicided souls are eternally damned and cannot be pardoned.
My interest is in the differing interpretations as to "what exactly IS 'blaspheme against the Holy Spirit' and as is witnessed, there are many beliefs about that.
If we took all beliefs expressed in this thread as being "true", then we have a growing list of "sins" which can be considered "unpardonable".
You believe such a stance is harsh and merciless to both the suicide victim and their loved ones who are left behind who can do nothing to save their loved ones from eternal damnation.
I think such belief can indeed have such an affect on others and act as a source of mental/emotional trauma, yes.
But your interpretation is incorrect as I was absolutely not saying that. But one of the things I am saying is that Jesus Christ Himself, whom I believe is God Incarnate, was the One who identified the "Unpardonable Sin" and if anyone goes about making up caveats to His law, they're doing God a dis-service by casting aspersions on His Holy Word.
Whereas I do not think the claim that the Bible is "Gods Word" has ever been shown to be true (having asked but never received any precise scriptural evidence supporting the claim) so I remain sceptical that all words/sayings et al attributed to the Biblical Jesus are trustworthy/to be trusted.
Atop of that, is the evidence that such sayings which (being unclear) also invite very different interpretations and subsequent quarrels show that the subject acts as a stumbbling block and should be avoided on that point alone, nevermind any other.
Such a person is actually saying he's more compassionate than God Himself.
This type of expression is exactly what I am referring to re 'acting as a stumbling block'.
My understanding is that a human personality should be at least as compassionate as the Mind that is God.

Having said that, given the circumstances we are enduring, it could be (and often is) argued that God isn't very compassionate at all.
Even some Bible verses give that impression, so I remain open to the idea that compassion isn't based upon any romanticism/romanticised idea of the goings on of The Creator Mind.
The truth is that to which I alluded in number 4 of my original comment: that God did, in fact, provide a way out for the Unpardonable Sinner. He didn't expound upon it but it is absolutely there. And the reason why the sin gets that label is because it is exactly that in the realm in which the sinner committed the sin.
I don't disagree with the analysis you give above. It also aligns well with the reports we have access to, from those who have experienced NDE's as well as OOBEs and even psilocybin trips et al.
I understand then that the compassion doesn't mean that God turns a blind eye, but rather it appears that the human personality itself creates its experiences based upon their internal goings on which (all) together comprise/make up said human personality and God allowing that to happen (allowing for the human personality to create its own "next" experience, in these "realms" which enable such to occur) does not equate to God being without compassion.
This subject matter raises so many issues including Dying With Dignity and Reincarnation and much more. I could write a book but I won't. I'll just let you respond, if you so choose, and we'll take it up from there.
Okay...
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #32

Post by myth-one.com »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:39 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 pm

No sin prevents one from salvation!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. (Romans 6:14)

The "unpardonable sin" is certainly a sin. So, it has no dominion over our salvation.
Scripture does not contradict scripture and all scripture is valid.

So your interpretation is violating this.

Denying Jesus is a sin and is unforgivable. The Holy Spirit testifies to Jesus and so denying this is unforgivable.
Accepting or rejecting everlasting life is a choice:

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Unforgivable sin no longer affects our salvation.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #33

Post by myth-one.com »

Eaglestarz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 pm

No sin prevents one from salvation!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. (Romans 6:14)

The "unpardonable sin" is certainly a sin. So, it has no dominion over our salvation.
The "Unpardonable Sin" is not eternally unpardonable but the committer of that particular sin, as stated by God Himself, "is in danger of eternal damnation." This obviously means that the committer of that sin can be pardoned because he is not immediately eternally damned but is only "in danger" of it.

It's simply a question of God's Timing and the label of "unpardonable" simply refers to the fact that the sin cannot be pardoned in the space and time in which it was committed because the sin itself necessarily removes the sinner into a different space and time to obtain his pardon.
Sin no longer affects anyone's salvation, regardless of the timing!

Definition of dominion: sovereignty or control.

So sin no longer controls our salvation.

Eaglestarz
Student

Post #34

Post by Eaglestarz »

We are absolutely in agreement!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Denying Jesus is a sin and is unforgivable. The Holy Spirit testifies to Jesus and so denying this is unforgivable.
MATTHEW 12:31,32

“For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.+ 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him;+ but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #36

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:29 am
MATTHEW 12:31,32

“For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.+ 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him;+ but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.
Yes that is my point. If you speak against the Holy Spirit, whom testifies that Jesus is God, you will not be forgiven.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:59 amYes that is my point. .....
So when you said ...
Denying Jesus is a sin and is unforgivable.
Your point is whoever sins against Jesus, it will be forgiven him?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

William
Savant

Post #38

Post by William »

Eaglestarz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:23 am We are absolutely in agreement!
Who are you posting that reply to?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:44 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:59 amYes that is my point. .....
So when you said ...
If you call the Holy Spirit a liar and not God (ie blasphemy) you are then also denying that Jesus is God. The purpose of the Spirit
John 15:26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.
and
John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
The Spirit in you does not glorify Jesus. All that the Father has is Jesus. All. All. All. Not some. Not oh that can't mean all because of my eisegesis.
https://biblehub.com/john/16-15.htm#lexicon
Everything
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.
Can you define all so that it means Jesus is not God?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #40

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:28 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:44 pm
So when you said ...
If you call the Holy Spirit .... {snip}

If that a "yes" or a "no"?

JW