Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Mark 3:28-29
New International Version
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or aganst God the Father?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Holy Spirit - blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Post #11

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:09 pm
Difflugia wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:15 pm
Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 am
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”
So why is it unforgivable to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and not blaspheme against Jesus or aganst God the Father?
For Mark, "Holy Spirit" means the power of God that enters into people to allow them to perform His will. Note Mark 12:36, where the "Holy Spirit" is what allows David to write Psalms that Mark considered prophetic ("David himself said in the Holy Spirit..."). For Mark, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to denounce works of God as the works of evil. Mark even gives an explicit example of the blasphemy in verse 22: "And the scribes that came down from Jerusalem said, 'He is possessed by Beelzebub,' and, 'By the prince of the demons he casts out the demons.'" In Mark, Jesus is God's adopted, but human son (or Son). Blasphemy against any human being, even Jesus, can be forgiven. To claim that the mighty works of God the Father are demonic cannot.
Yes so it seems like the Holy Spirit dictates scripture.

Yes the Holy Spirit does works of God.

How isn't the Holy Spirit God?
Holy Spirit = God's active Force; you might say His Power.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #12

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:12 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #3]

Why can I blaspheme against the Father and be forgiven but not against the Holy Spirit? Why is the Holy Spirit higher than the Father?
It has been explained in the last few posts. Perhaps you would take the time to read the posts.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #12]

OK explain how you can blaspheme against:

A force

And

Against not God please?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #14

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:10 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #12]

A force

And

Against not God please?
You blaspheme against the Holy Spirit by attributing godly works to the Devil. That is blatantly ignoring the works that God sent His Spirit to do. The Pharisees blasphemed the Holy Spirit at John 8: 48-51. They attributed Jesus' works to Satan, when it was really the Holy Spirit that was giving Jesus his power and authority. That is blasphemy.

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:49 pm

A force

And

Against not God please?
You blaspheme against the Holy Spirit by attributing godly works to the Devil. That is blatantly ignoring the works that God sent His Spirit to do. The Pharisees blasphemed the Holy Spirit at John 8: 48-51. They attributed Jesus' works to Satan, when it was really the Holy Spirit that was giving Jesus his power and authority. That is blasphemy.
How can I blaspheme against a force? That is my question.

I think we can only blaspheme against God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #16

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:47 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:49 pm

A force

And

Against not God please?
How can I blaspheme against a force? That is my question.

I think we can only blaspheme against God.
The Holy Spirit is God's active force which comes from God as a conduit of His power. When someone says that the miraculous works of Jesus were associated with the demons, that is blaspheming the power of God who is the true originator of the power to do miraculous deeds. It comes around, as well, to denying the power of God.

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm The Holy Spirit is God's active force which comes from God as a conduit of His power. When someone says that the miraculous works of Jesus were associated with the demons, that is blaspheming the power of God who is the true originator of the power to do miraculous deeds. It comes around, as well, to denying the power of God.

22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
What sort of force warns people? Can you at least recognise the Spirit as a person?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:53 am
onewithhim wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm The Holy Spirit is God's active force which comes from God as a conduit of His power. When someone says that the miraculous works of Jesus were associated with the demons, that is blaspheming the power of God who is the true originator of the power to do miraculous deeds. It comes around, as well, to denying the power of God.

22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
What sort of force warns people? Can you at least recognise the Spirit as a person?
No. And I said that the Holy Spirit is God's active force that He sends to do whatever He wants done. It is His power, you might say, and will make clear what He wants to say or do. It is a conduit of His thoughts. Just like a wire that links to a lightbulb is the conduit through which power comes to turn on a light.

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

No act is unforgivable. Who is the forgiver?

When one believes they are forgiven, do they doubt it? If so, what effect does the doubt have on their belief?

Is it possible for God to forgive a man, yet a man not forgive himself?
The Vain Brain is meat headedness having no comprehension of the mind which uses it, refusing to hand over the helm to that mind and refusing to assume its placement as subordinate to the mind. Post #36

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 am

No act is unforgivable. Who is the forgiver?

When one believes they are forgiven, do they doubt it? If so, what effect does the doubt have on their belief?

Is it possible for God to forgive a man, yet a man not forgive himself?
The forgiver is God Almighty, Jehovah, the Father of Jesus and the whole universe. Yes, many people know they are forgiven and yet they still doubt that they can measure up somehow. It is truly possible for a man not to forgive himself. It's something that many of us have to work on.