Why Don't All Christians get Ashes Smeared on their Foreheads?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Why Don't All Christians get Ashes Smeared on their Foreheads?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Many years ago, a friend and I were driving down the main street of a small town and noticed a few people walking around with ashes in the shape of a killing device on their foreheads. As we continued, we saw more on more with this peculiar adornment. We eventually found the source of these folks which was a rather large Christian church they were pouring out of.

Both of us had been very active Christians at one time in our lives and yet had never seen this behavior. We later learned that this was related to Ash Wednesday.

What is the significance of this activity and why don't all Christians participate?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: Why Don't All Christians get Ashes Smeared on their Foreheads?

Post #2

Post by Masterblaster »

'Ashes you are and on to ashes you shall return''

It speaks to our mortality, very Catholic and happens on Ash Wednesday, to signify the start of the Lenten fast. I would consider it almost a quasi- pagan practice. It goes on with the priest''s thumb and there is a ritual you can Google to see how the Ashes are made...interesting and fun as a child walking around with dirt on your face that your mother can't remove with a bit of spit.
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #3

Post by Masterblaster »

"Ashes are made from palms used on Palm Sunday.
Per the instructions of the Roman Missal, ashes are typically supposed to be made from last year's Palm Sunday palm branches. These branches are then burned down into a fine powder and, in the United States, are mixed with holy water or chrism oil to create a light paste."
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

As Jehovahs Witnesses we restrict our religious practices and ceremony to those prescribed in scripture ; since Jesus did not mandate the drawing of crosses (a historically pagan symbol) on foreheads, we see no 'reason to incorporate such a ritual in our worship.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

The ash is a symbol of our mortality and of the sacrifice Jesus made. It reminds us that we will all die one day. It commemorates the day that Jesus, according the Gospels, announced to his disciples that he was going to Jerusalem and that when he arrived he would be executed. It reminds us that Jesus knew what was coming and still willingly walked towards the cross for our salvation.

It is a beautiful symbol, but it is only a symbol. I like the symbol, and participated in it this year, but it is only a symbol. Symbols are useful, but not a requirement of the faith. Christian communities and free to participate in this symbol or not.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

bjs1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:05 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #1]
It commemorates the day that Jesus, according the Gospels, announced to his disciples that he was going to Jerusalem and that when he arrived he would be executed
How do you know which day Jesus made that announcement? (He did so on several occassions and to my knowledge none of which can be pinpointed to a particjlar day of the week or date in the year).
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

The ash is a symbol of our mortality and of the sacrifice Jesus made. It reminds us that we will all die one day. It commemorates the day that Jesus, according the Gospels, announced to his disciples that he was going to Jerusalem and that when he arrived he would be executed. It reminds us that Jesus knew what was coming and still willingly walked towards the cross for our salvation.

It is a beautiful symbol, but it is only a symbol. I like the symbol, and participated in it this year, but it is only a symbol. Symbols are useful, but not a requirement of the faith. Christian communities and free to participate in this symbol or not.
This was a very informative reply. I was wondering if the practice was meaningful for the person receiving the ashes or if it was a sign some thought God would see. You answered my curiosity quite clearly. Thanks.

Am I right to assume it is a Catholic and perhaps Orthodox practice more so than a Protestant one?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:37 am
It commemorates the day that Jesus, according the Gospels, announced to his disciples that he was going to Jerusalem and that when he arrived he would be executed
How do you know which day Jesus made that announcement? (He did so on several occassions and to my knowledge none of which can be pinpointed to a particjlar day of the week or date in the year).
I don't see any claim on bjs1's part that either he or anyone else knows the day involved. Here is a sentence describing the origin of Memorial Day - "It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868 to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of Gen. John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former Union sailors and soldiers." https://www.pbs.org/national-memorial-d ... y/history/ Obviously, no one was claiming that all Civil War soldiers died on May 30th. This was simply the day their sacrifices were remembered or commemorated.

commemorate verb

commemorate something/somebody to remind people of an important event or person from the past with a special action or object; to exist to remind people of a person or an event from the past.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ommemorate

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #9

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]
Why not all ?

First reason to my mind is that christian denominations hate each other. What one does, another is therefore reluctant to copy.

EXAMPLE ;
First cause of Joseph Smiths martyrs death at Carthage Jail was his escalating struggle with ANOTHER MORMON SECT.

Or look at thr Joseph Smith Bible (Inspired Version) ; For the Reformed Church (now Church of Christ) as well as for the Restored Branch, that book is the only useable bible.

While LDS are ashamed of it and try the bible version theyr founder restored under their beds, while preferring to use the common bible.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Tcg wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:05 pm...commemorate the sacrifices ....
Tcg wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:05 pm I don't see any claim on bjs1's part that either he or anyone else knows the day involved. ....

Tcg
Thank you for your observation Tcg, that was very helpful. I will wait and see if bjs has any further input, but do appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Kind regards,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS