Does the true God have a body of flesh and bone?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

According to scripture God and all of us including Christ have a spirit body.

According to the scriptures all of us including Jesus Christ are the literal spirit children of God the father.

According to the New Testament Christs body was crucified and killed. His spirit body however was never dead, for between the death of his physical body his spirit body went unto the spirits in prison and preached repentance unto those who had previously died. This was done before his glorious resurrection.

So do we all including Christ have an immortal body of flesh and bone after our resurrection?

Savant

Re: Does the true God have a body of flesh and bone?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:28 am ]1 KINGS 8:27 - New King James Version

“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built![/color]
MATTHEW 6:9 - American Standard Version

... Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name

How do you explain ALL the scriptures in a way that renders them ALL true. Can you do that? That is the difference between nearly having biblical truth and having truth, a strict adherence to interpretation that harmonizes all scriptures rendering them all true. An interpretation (God literally lives inside different human bodies) which renders other scriptures untrue, (God lives in heaven with His angels and no building can contain him) cannot be correct.
Thanks for the scripture. I understand contain means, tie up, or bind, or restrict. And that is not in contradiction with the idea that God dwells for example in Jesus, as told in the Bible. It only means that for example the body of Jesus could not prevent God to do anything.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:06 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:28 am ]1 KINGS 8:27 - New King James Version

“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built![/color]
MATTHEW 6:9 - American Standard Version

... Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name

How do you explain ALL the scriptures in a way that renders them ALL true. Can you do that? That is the difference between nearly having biblical truth and having truth, a strict adherence to interpretation that harmonizes all scriptures rendering them all true. An interpretation (God literally lives inside different human bodies) which renders other scriptures untrue, (God lives in heaven with His angels and no building can contain him) cannot be correct.
Thanks for the scripture. I understand contain means, tie up, or bind, or restrict. ...
Okay and He is in heaven? That God *is* in heaven , how do you interpret that?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:10 am Okay and He is in heaven? That God *is* in heaven , how do you interpret that?
I think God can be in many places at the same time. Could this be helpful?

And the one keeping His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He gave to us.
1 John 3:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:14 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:10 am Okay and He is in heaven? That God *is* in heaven , how do you interpret that?
I think God can be in many places at the same time. ...
1 KINGS 22:19

I saw Jehovah sitting on his throne and all the army of the heavens standing by him, to his right and to his left
LUKE 22:43
Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him

And the angels, Gabriel and others do they all literally live inside of the bodies of belivers too?
LUKE 1:19 - New International Version

The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news

QUESTION: When Jesus promised that his Fathers house had many avodes, was he promising that when his disciples died they would join Jesus and his Father and live inside ... other disciples?!

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:16 am And the angels, Gabriel and others do they all literally live inside of the bodies of belivers too?
I have no Biblical reason to think so. By what i know, angels are much like humans.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:12 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:16 am And the angels, Gabriel and others do they all literally live inside of the bodies of belivers too?
I have no Biblical reason to think so. By what i know, angels are much like humans.
Forgive me 1213, I'm not trying to be difficult , I am just honestly trying to understand how a bible believer harmonizes all the scriptures about the heavens evidently being the spiritual abode of God and the angels (a place were born again Christians are called to join him ) with the idea that the Almighty also literally lives inside the body of humans.

Maybe I can be more helpful to others if I could grasp what you and others that hold your view, really believe. Do you think you could use just a few sentences to explain how you harmonizes these two ideas ? Or if I have misrepresented your view of the idea of heaven , correct me by clarifying?

Thanks so much,

JW

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am Forgive me 1213, I'm not trying to be difficult , I am just honestly trying to understand how a bible believer harmonizes all the scriptures about the heavens evidently being the spiritual abode of God and the angels (a place were born again Christians are called to join him ) with the idea that the Almighty also literally lives inside the body of humans.

Maybe I can be more helpful to others if I could grasp what you and others that hold your view, really believe. Do you think you could use just a few sentences to explain how you harmonizes these two ideas ? Or if I have misrepresented your view of the idea of heaven , correct me by clarifying?
No problem, and thanks. It is ok to me, if people want to understand and know.

The truth is, I know about heaven, God and angels only that what is said in the Bible. And by that, God is a spirit and that Spirit can be in many people, similarly as in Jesus. And angels are messengers of God, that can appear like humans, but also move in "supernatural" way.

Heaven is a place where they can be, but Bible doesn't define it very accurately. It leaves room for imagination. And I think it would be best to remain in what is actually said in the Bible. I can tell what I imagine it means, but I recommend to think is it on line with the Bible. If not, then you should reject it. And even if it is on line with it, it may still be not accurate enough. In my opinion it is not very important to know more about heaven than what is written in the Bible. Important is to know that eternal life is for righteous and what it means to be righteous. And if the kingdom of God is full of righteous people, it is very nice, at least in my opinion.

But, now, if you want to know how I see it, here is my understanding of it:

Bible tells God is spirit and love. So, if God is in a person, love is in a person. And I have understood love is much like state of mind. When person has mind in state of love, his actions are also loving. In other words, when person is in God, his mind is in love. And when God is in a person, it means love is in a persons mind. And no, in Biblical point of view love is not just a feeling, it is more like caring attitude.

I believe also that the heaven is something that is in minds level, not physical realm. Physical world I think is also like a manifestation of spiritual level, or minds level. And unlike modern scientific idea is, I think mind doesn't really depend on physical level. I think soul is basically the mind of a person. When body dies, the soul, or mind still lives. And the mind can go to that upper level that is called heaven. But heaven is not the physical heaven or sky, it is just upper level of existence that can exist in the same direction, which is why it is called heaven. So, it is like another dimension. And this means, angels and demons are inter-dimensional beings.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #18

Post by onewithhim »

1213 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 pm But did Jesus not say that God is in heaven?
Does scripture not say even "the heavens of the heavens" cannot contain Him, how then can your body ?
I would like to see where it is said "the heavens of the heavens cannot contain Him". But, Bible tells that Jesus and his disciples are the temple of God and God dwells in them.

For in him all the fullness of the Deity dwells bodily,
Col. 2:9
Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Fa-ther, and the Father in me; or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
John 14:10-11
…Don’t you know that you are a temple of God, and that God’s Spirit lives in you?
1 Cor. 3:9-11, 16
Here is the scripture you asked for: "But will God truly dwell upon the earth? Look! The heavens, yes, the heaven of the heavens cannot contain you" ...(I Kings 8:27)

God dwelling in us is a metaphor. It has to mean something not literal to harmonize with I Kings 8:27, such as God and we are in agreement. (John 17:20-23) The Spirit may dwell in us, as it were, but not God Himself. God is a Spirit being, but not the Holy Spirit, which is His active force that He uses to accomplish His will. His POWER is one way to look at the Holy Spirit, it is not a person.

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:19 am ...
Here is the scripture you asked for: "But will God truly dwell upon the earth? Look! The heavens, yes, the heaven of the heavens cannot contain you" ...(I Kings 8:27)
Thank you. I understand that the word contain means "keep down", "keep in Check", "hold", or "tie up", not that God could not be in a person. I believe God can dwell in many, as the Bible tells, but no one could restrict Him.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #20

Post by Revelations won »

Dear onewithhim,

I will respond to your post #6:

“The Scriptures do not say anywhere that we all have a spirit body."

My response:

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

Christ is indeed our elder brother, for he is indeed the first born all the sons of God.

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

1 Peter 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Christ indeed was the “fist born son of God in heaven” before this world was created. (This was the creation of his spirit body)

As the scripture saith we are all the sons of God. We shouted with joy that we would come to this earth to be tried and tested as a part of our eternal progression as shown to Job.

Job 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

You said:
The "spirit" that we have is the breath of God that keeps us alive. Jesus is a spirit person now, yes, and God is a Spirit. (John 4:24) But we humans will never be spirits, unless we are anointed to go to heaven and rule with Christ. The majority of us will be their subjects, which they will guide in making the earth a paradise once more. We will enjoy physical life on this earth, forever. (Psalm 37:29)

Further, Jesus was DEAD for three days. His spirit didn't go anywhere because he didn't HAVE a spirit body living within him. When he died, the spirit of God left him and because it wasn't keeping him alive, he truly was dead. He did not go anywhere during those three days. If he wasn't dead then we are still in our sins without hope. You say he wasn't dead.

My response:

No, I say that his physical body was dead, but his spirit body was quickened.

1 Peter 4:6 For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

When he went to "the spirits in prison" that was AFTER he was resurrected on the third day, and the spirits he saw were the demons that disobeyed in the days of Noah. (I Peter 3:18 and 19) Read the account carefully and you will see that he didn't visit dead people, but demons that were subsequently consigned to "Tartarus," which is not an actual place but it is a debased spiritual condition from which they did not warrant the way out. (2Peter 2:4) To say that God has a body of flesh and bone, you are minimizing God. He is glorious, yes, and He is a Spirit (John 4:24) and is too magnificent to be contained in a body of flesh and bone. Flesh cannot inherit life in heaven as it says in I Corinthians 15:50. Please don't twist the scriptures. To say that He can't have a body of "flesh and blood" but can have a body of "flesh and bone" is really a stretch. Either way, flesh cannot inherit the Kingdom in heaven.”

My response:

Your man made doctrine and private interpretation of scripture does not constitute scripture.

Let’s examine what christ did according to scripture:

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It is very clear that Christ was put to death in the Body of flesh and blood.

His spirit was not dead, but “qickened” and in this state went and preached to the spirits in prison who were sometimes disobedient and were those who lived in the days of Noah. Christ’s very mission was to save souls. He is above all, our only savior and redeemer who will in his mission bring all men unto him.

Why would he preach unto them unless there was a possibility that they might then repent and become worthy of a resurrection? Do you think that it would be just for them to receive a resurrection while they were still unrepentant and enslaved to thier sins? I did not say they would be heirs to the “resurrection of the Just”, but one might ask “is this the very condition of repentance required of them before they could even be a party to the second resurrection that would occur after the millennium?

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

My response:

Yes indeed, “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God”. I never made such a claim.

I do make the claim that “FLESH AND BONE” can inherit the kingdom of God.

You JW’s claim that in the resurrection that Christ has a spirit body, but does not have a physical body of flesh and bone. You make your “man made testimony” that Jesus does not have a resurrected body of FLESH and BONES, but as for me and my family we will take Christ’s testimony over yours any day!

When the resurrected Lord appeared to his disciples they were affrighted and mistakenly thought that they had seen a spirit. Our resurrected Lord then proceeded to correct their misunderstanding as follows:

Luke 24:36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
And he took it, and did eat before them.
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,